GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ECU Upgrade for 3rd Gen GS doable (including 450h)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 10:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why does the car need to be run for ~ 200 miles anyway? any reason that I cant go straight to the dyno for runs?? haha, I want to know asap if this does work or not!

All I know is its like -36 with the windchill factor today so this is not a priority for the next few days.
Old 01-16-09, 10:16 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
why does the car need to be run for ~ 200 miles anyway? any reason that I cant go straight to the dyno for runs?? haha, I want to know asap if this does work or not!

All I know is its like -36 with the windchill factor today so this is not a priority for the next few days.
make sure you follow rominl's suggestions above for the before/after dyno run and prep work you need to do. as long as one step is left out, there will always be doubt whether or not the ecu tune works
Old 01-16-09, 11:13 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
(...) there will always be doubt whether or not the ecu tune works
Isn't the whole point behind SAE corrections ?
Old 01-16-09, 11:16 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by timeToy
Isn't the whole point behind SAE corrections ?

i'll be honest and say i'm not a gearhead, and i don't know the ins/outs of sae corrections and stuff of that nature. i'll let those who are more knowledgeable in this kind of stuff comment on that.

btw, i got the manuals. thx
Old 01-16-09, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

in the world of closed loop control systems, it can be done very easily on self adjust. sometimes you make a change and see a delta, but the system can self detect the delta being out of spec and self adjust to compensate after certain time

a very simple example? the car ecu is constantly monitoring driving habits. after you reset the ecu, it's in reset state and the car starts to adapt. depending on your driving habit, if you drive aggressive, the ecu will go into aggressive state. if you start driving mild, the ecu will start to adapt and gradually lower the timing, throttle, etc...

that's all i can say
Old 01-16-09, 12:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl

a very simple example? the car ecu is constantly monitoring driving habits. after you reset the ecu, it's in reset state and the car starts to adapt. depending on your driving habit, if you drive aggressive, the ecu will go into aggressive state. if you start driving mild, the ecu will start to adapt and gradually lower the timing, throttle, etc...
so hp will be different if you drive aggressive when compared to mild?
Old 01-16-09, 12:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

even thought they say to drive light when you first get your cars I have always beat the **** out of them. I think you can tell the difference on a car that is babied for the first ~ 500 miles compared to car that is not. I never *cough* had any issues with many or cars I have leased or purchased new?? Maybe luck of draw but I will continue this until I run into an issue. I should reset the ECU now then based on my driving habits since this car was used and I dont know if they drive crazy like I do. This way when I do the next dyno its me and my driving habits and also the tune to reflect.

I reset the ECU on the IS but didnt see any difference but I always drove it hard like it was meant to be
Old 01-16-09, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Stormforge
so hp will be different if you drive aggressive when compared to mild?
that's not the point. my point is if hp is increased by a sudden change of "something", that something can be adjusted by computer if it's designed that way

and no, driving habits don't increase hp, it changes shift points, throttle, etc.. but the idea is the same
Old 01-16-09, 02:29 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's not the point. my point is if hp is increased by a sudden change of "something", that something can be adjusted by computer if it's designed that way

and no, driving habits don't increase hp, it changes shift points, throttle, etc.. but the idea is the same
So this should not make a difference on a dyno, where throttle is basically smashed down and the car on a set gear ?
Old 01-16-09, 02:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by timeToy
So this should not make a difference on a dyno, where throttle is basically smashed down and the car on a set gear ?
again, i was using throttle as an EXAMPLE for a feedback loop system..... i am not saying that's the case in engine hp.... and i won't go into more details. bottom line, there are so many factors going into hp/tq, and those are variables to tweak. if any of them are in a feedback loop under monitoring system, you can have initial gain but the computer will be smart enough to adjust
Old 01-19-09, 07:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I have put this on hold, if someone else would like to do this asap please PM Andy!

With the next 2 mos and our weather being the worst it gets for winter there is no room or tolerance for me to drive the car the way it needs to be driven with out taking one to many chances. I will look into this when spring rolls around for us in Chicago. Hope someone in a warmer climate can step up and give it a try to see what the gains are for us GS owners.
Old 01-20-09, 05:14 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget the dyno - too many uncontrollable variables. Take it to the track. MPH never lies. Go to the same track before and after and you'll have your proof.
Old 01-20-09, 07:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Not an option in Chicago right now with snow/ice/cold that is going on. I would do this but we are really looking at March/April now before weather will break for me to be able to do this. MHP also wants you to drive the car hard for ~ 200 miles and thats just not safe with a RWD car when the roads here are full of snow and ice. Wish the timing was better as I really am interested in the results.
Old 01-20-09, 07:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

^ Not an option in Chicago right now with snow/ice/cold that is going on. I would do this but we are really looking at March/April now before weather will break for me to be able to do this. MHP also wants you to drive the car hard for ~ 200 miles and thats just not safe with a RWD car when the roads here are full of snow and ice. Wish the timing was better as I really am interested in the results.
if anything, during those ~200 miles, the car should be driven the same way as before ecu is installed
Old 01-20-09, 08:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

if anything, during those ~200 miles, the car should be driven the same way as before ecu is installed
I cant drive the car as I would when its warmer out Right now I have to try to take it easy with the roads as is even with the HP Snow tires on it It would be a waste IMO to get it and get hit with snow where I have to baby the car....just in the last few weeks we have been hit with several winter storms and temps ~ -20 if not lower (not with the windchill either). My car bottoms out on the snow here as it is The next 2 mos are the worst for us for winter.

Plus tracks are not open for me to get before/after results. So if I was able to get this done today there would be NO dyno runs since we couldn't dyno the car and no track numbers. All this and having to drive on roads, as is, is just a waste of time for me to send it back to them again

Someone in a warmer area should be able to knock this out I spent half a day at the Dyno with another member here to try to get this done for everyone. It still cost me $$ to get that done and there was no success with it If no one has stepped up to the plate when spring rolls around for me I will get back with Andy to get this done. I hope someone can do it before then but I will take the savings if no one else wants to

Quick Reply: ECU Upgrade for 3rd Gen GS doable (including 450h)!!!