GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Rattles... How many people have/had them
Never
11.84%
Yes, but they are fixed for good
17.11%
Yes, and no success fixing them
71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles - who has/had those

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 10:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
The GS rattles like a 56 Chevy. Removing the pins that place guide the window in at the factory, padding the dash and all that crap is just that a crappy attempt to fix wasting time, money and irritating Lexus drivers. Your in BC, it is cold, rattles are much worse when cold. The TSBs are a joke. On top of that, do you know what they do to remove the dash? There is no way to do it with out some extra special detailing when you get the car back.
I must agree GS2006, all that foam, felt and padding they put in there will wear out sooner or later. Whats worst is that when they wear out, the warranty will most likely be over.
Old 12-17-08, 12:05 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
Please explain, how is it different? Dash rattles as you state???

The GS rattles like a 56 Chevy. Removing the pins that place guide the window in at the factory, padding the dash and all that crap is just that a crappy attempt to fix wasting time, money and irritating Lexus drivers. Your in BC, it is cold, rattles are much worse when cold. The TSBs are a joke. On top of that, do you know what they do to remove the dash? There is no way to do it with out some extra special detailing when you get the car back.
Noises/rattles coming not only from dash, but doors, b-pillars...There is a tsb even for b-pillars.
Old 12-17-08, 12:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I had the dash rattle, got it fix and it came back slightly 6 months later. I also have rattles on the door, top of the windshield, top of the driver's door and in the sunroof area. And I thought my Lexus did not come with surround sound
Old 12-17-08, 12:51 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cover for the sunroof. I have to close it 10-15% (move it forward from the back) from the open position before it stops making noise. Mentioned it to the dealer at least 6 times and they're never been able to replicate the noise.
Old 12-17-08, 01:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Rattles are very hard for the dealers to fix and very time consuming. You guys are lucky that Lexus dealers are will to go thru great length to try to fix these rattles. Most other dealer will not.
Old 12-17-08, 01:30 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vladbph
Noises/rattles coming not only from dash, but doors, b-pillars...There is a tsb even for b-pillars.
From what I remember the B pillar TSB was for replacing the cover that gets cosmetic damage do to the seatbelt and other stuff. Don’t think this is for rattles. The A pillar TSB is however and part of the TSB for the dashboard.

I have been through this and it stinks. When it is cold, it rattles worse. The more you have them rip your car apart the more damage they will do. BTW, the passenger side A pillar rattle sounds like a blown speaker and is loud. All they do is put a piece of felt between to points. I do not see anything you pointed out that is new from two – three years ago. I did see they have modified the TSB a tad with replace some dashboard clips (I think they used to felt them) and replace some housing which may have been there before but different wording??

Every winter you see the rattle posts.
Old 12-17-08, 05:25 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

After my BMW was totalled by this woman suffering a seizure, my work-car became my only car - an '04 Mustang GT. It developed dash rattles after 3 1/4 yrs, and I got rid of it solely for that reason. My wife wanted something that wouldn't rattle (she has a rattle-free 2000 Infiniti G-20 with 95000 miles), and I figured a Lexus was it (although my 2 previous BMW's never developed rattles, and the last one was 7 1/2 years old at the time of its untimely demise). So far, so good, although we live in the Phoenix area. If the GS350 develops rattles, it's a goner. I'm tentatively looking at an Audi A or S-5.
Old 12-18-08, 09:35 PM
tom2517
Driver School Candidate

I thought mine was rattle free but lately I have sounds coming from what seems like the rear view mirror? Can't quite get a fix on where it is coming from yet.
Old 12-20-08, 09:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, is there a truely a rattles free GS, does it actually exist, or is it that some owners are just not as picky as others when it comes to rattles.
Old 12-20-08, 10:16 AM
ejvette
Driver

If mine starts to rattle I will set fire to it toast a few marshmallows and put in my insurance claim
Old 12-20-08, 10:28 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was looking around in the trunk..think i solved one..the jack kinda wobbles in its location. So i stuck a piece of towel on the bottom of one and and it sits firm now.
Old 12-20-08, 05:31 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tunedis95
was looking around in the trunk..think i solved one..the jack kinda wobbles in its location. So i stuck a piece of towel on the bottom of one and and it sits firm now.
The door that access the trunk from the back seat area can be a source of rattles too, honestly, I dont why Lexus didnt just make the backseats fold down like everybody else.
Old 12-21-08, 04:18 AM
ejvette
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
The door that access the trunk from the back seat area can be a source of rattles too, honestly, I dont why Lexus didnt just make the backseats fold down like everybody else.
Agreed that was one big negative for me when i shopped this car was no split folding rear seats i think even the camary has that feature.
Old 12-21-08, 06:59 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Sounds like same situation for me. The entire dashboard creaks where it meets the windshield. It's worse when it's cold out. (Can't imagine what it will sound like to day since it's -5 outside...). The dealer tried fixing it once but didn't. I finally bought some black rubber weatherstripping at Home Depot and shoved it between the dash and windshield. That helped considerably, but when it get's really cold, it doesn't completely do the trick...
Old 12-21-08, 07:58 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Rattles are very hard for the dealers to fix and very time consuming. You guys are lucky that Lexus dealers are will to go thru great length to try to fix these rattles. Most other dealer will not.
yeah. german car dealers only warrant rattles for the first year and 20000 miles or so.

on another note, i googled bmw, and the 5 series develops rattles in all different places. particularly the 2006 model. So it may seem that the newer bmw's develop noises later on.

the 3 series has even more rattles, even on 2008 models.

and the 1 series has rattles, but i won't bash it because it's a 1st-year.

I think we see less btiching about german car rattles because most people lease those suckers and keep them only for 2 years, before most problems crop up.

bmw and lex owners are also different animals. We enjoy the quiet, and btich when there's noise. while bmw owners enjoy the driving experience, and that lovely exhaust note, which drowns out a lot of other noises.

Quick Reply: Rattles - who has/had those