GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Rattles... How many people have/had them
Never
11.84%
Yes, but they are fixed for good
17.11%
Yes, and no success fixing them
71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles - who has/had those

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 10:28 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah. german car dealers only warrant rattles for the first year and 20000 miles or so.

on another note, i googled bmw, and the 5 series develops rattles in all different places. particularly the 2006 model. So it may seem that the newer bmw's develop noises later on.

the 3 series has even more rattles, even on 2008 models.

and the 1 series has rattles, but i won't bash it because it's a 1st-year.

I think we see less btiching about german car rattles because most people lease those suckers and keep them only for 2 years, before most problems crop up.

bmw and lex owners are also different animals. We enjoy the quiet, and btich when there's noise. while bmw owners enjoy the driving experience, and that lovely exhaust note, which drowns out a lot of other noises.
My 07 Gs had dash rattle when it had 700 miles on ODO. They did TSIB for windshield clips but rattle came back, I plan to have them try again next month when I go for service since it only rattles when it is very cold. In contrast my 06 BMW 325 door panels rattle only in warm weather. Go figure ?
Old 12-22-08, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
on another note, i googled bmw, and the 5 series develops rattles in all different places. particularly the 2006 model. So it may seem that the newer bmw's develop noises later on.

the 3 series has even more rattles, even on 2008 models.

and the 1 series has rattles, but i won't bash it because it's a 1st-year.
The BMW's rattles are not nearly as wide spread as the GS's. Usually the BMW's rattles doesnt show up until the car is a few years old, but when it is brand new like the Lexus. Also, its pretty typical for cars with such stiff suspension to develope rattles, but the GS is actually kind of soft compare to the BMW. The fact that even brand new GS have the rattles indicate to me that it was a design issue right from the factory, not a wear and tear problem like the BMW.
Old 12-22-08, 08:46 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just dropped mine off this morning (fingers crossed). I had noticed one other particularly cold morning that the noise in my car seems to have a lower threshold. It was 16 degrees as I was taking the car in today, and it wasn't making a tick, click or creak.

I couldn't believe it. I thought it was going to pull that crap where it won't perform at the shop.

Thankfully, just before I got there, it started doing it some. As I pulled on to the lot, the breaks gave a squeal too, which I only get occasionally, so I added that to the ticket.
Old 12-22-08, 08:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, happens to me everytime, as soon as I pull into the dealer, all the rattling and squeaking stops. drpepper, I bet you never been so glad to hear the rattles and squeaks from the GS b4
Old 12-22-08, 09:55 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by The G Man
I bet you never been so glad to hear the rattles and squeaks from the GS b4
You got that right! I wasn't really planning to deal with the brakes today, but it popped up.

FWIW, they seemed very confident about taking care of it, and I got no indication that it would be more than a one day job. And they didn't ask me to drive around the block with a service tech anyway. That tells me they're plenty familiar with it.
Old 12-22-08, 10:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drpepper
FWIW, they seemed very confident about taking care of it, and I got no indication that it would be more than a one day job. And they didn't ask me to drive around the block with a service tech anyway. That tells me they're plenty familiar with it.
Most dealers have been working on rattles on the GS for 3 years, they are very familiar with the problem. My dealer even have a tech who specialize in the dash board rattles, imagine that
Old 12-22-08, 11:53 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Well, they called right after I finished typing that last post.

I drove back in 28 degrees without a noise. Only time will tell, but I'm hopeful.

They didn't do the windshield clip TSIB, but did another one # 0040-08 "Dash Rattle from Instrument Panel - NV8040 Instrument Panel Rattle R&R Instrument Panel." I was concerned because the sound really seemed to be coming from the passenger side, not the instrument panel. They said that since I brought it in prior to the original warranty ending (I'll hit 50k in the next few months), this issue will be covered into the extended warranty if I should need to bring it back. They continued to be confident that they got it. The adviser said the tech drove it and did hear and identify the noise.

From what I can tell of reading the paperwork. They replaced a "Cowl Louver Sub-Assembly," "Instrument Panel Clip," and "Instrument Panel Stay" (My attempts at decoding the abbreviations).

The tech hours were from 7:52 AM to 12:54 PM.

They didn't give me a copy with the amount on it, but I saw that warranty cost was about $700.

We'll see.
Old 12-22-08, 01:18 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

drpepper, I hope the rattle is gone for good. I see Lexus is now replacing the dahboard clips instead of felting them.
Old 12-22-08, 01:51 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is still at the dealer. They call me every 2 day to tell me the clips are still on backorder and haven't arrive yet...GOSH my car has been there for over 2 weeks now.
Old 12-23-08, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

thomastan, ask for a LS loaner, then they will get those clips fast
Old 12-23-08, 11:44 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomastan
my car is still at the dealer. They call me every 2 day to tell me the clips are still on backorder and haven't arrive yet...GOSH my car has been there for over 2 weeks now.
No doubt, thomastan, that is brutal. It sounds like there might be some element of lacking motivation. Did you get a loaner at all?
Old 12-23-08, 12:58 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

They just call me this morning. They said the clips won't be here until Jan. 8, 2009...can you believe that. My car would be at the dealer for over a month than..... not a happy customer at this point. At least they warranty everything for me...happy but not as happy i want to be. Yes..they gave me a ES350 loaner. I think i might half to give 1-800-25-Lexus a call again...
Old 12-23-08, 01:55 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomastan
They just call me this morning. They said the clips won't be here until Jan. 8, 2009...can you believe that. My car would be at the dealer for over a month than..... not a happy customer at this point. At least they warranty everything for me...happy but not as happy i want to be. Yes..they gave me a ES350 loaner. I think i might half to give 1-800-25-Lexus a call again...
On the surface, that does seem difficult to believe, but the fact that you have a loaner out removes my suspicion of lallygagging. I don't think you doing a month in a loaner is something they're real interested in. Someone there has their eye on that and they're not happy either.

You have a specific date now. I don't know what calling on them would do to help.
Old 12-23-08, 09:01 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Drpepper...your correct. I decided not to call them. My service advisor is actually a high school friend so he keeps me updated every two working days. I guess i won't be hearing from him till after Jan. 9...
Old 12-24-08, 08:55 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weather in DFW range 25~100+, but the vary last time I went in for "RATTLES" was over a 1 1/2 years ago; so far is still creaking/rattle free (knock on the wood)!!!

My toy was repaired in 3 different places:
-first time they fixed the rattles from the front & rear windows;
-second time they fixed the rattles from the dash board;
-the vary last time was for a loose screw from on the rear-passanger-side hanger, creaking noise can only be heard when driving/backing up the driveway.

After all these creaking/rattle noise from the interior had been taken care of, brakes decided to make some noise!?!
But I also got it fixed too, TSIB L-SB-0121-08 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-brakes-2.html.

I did not expect this much of problems with LEXUS, still not as bad as owning (owned) crap from Europe (BMW & MB).

In case anyone cares, MB ranked #1 in my crap list (worst decision making)!!!

Quick Reply: Rattles - who has/had those