GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Rattles... How many people have/had them
Never
11.84%
Yes, but they are fixed for good
17.11%
Yes, and no success fixing them
71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles - who has/had those

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 09:15 AM
echelon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next big question is how long will they keep fixing the creaks. I'm out of warranty next summer so I'm sure it'll be a nice conversation if it comes back after that.
Old 12-31-08, 09:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you are on your own after the warranty. Even if you have the extended warranty or the GPO, rattles are not cover.
Old 12-31-08, 03:33 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

I think everyone has had rattles. I took mine in and they fixed it and now when it gets extremely cold then I might here a few here and there. I've learned to drown the noise out. Either that, my music is too loud I don't hear it anymore. Ha!
Old 12-31-08, 05:24 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

After only 7.2k miles, my wife's GS has finally fallen prey to rattles. It's like an elf moved into the glove box area and is playing with squeaky foam non-stop - that's what it sounds like. There are a few other pops and ticks here and there, but the infamous dash rattle is the big one.

Can't get myself to have the dealer take the dash apart yet... Hate to say this, but the rattling is reminding me of my pathetic '02 TL Type S which I haven't missed for one minute.
Old 12-31-08, 05:55 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Can't get myself to have the dealer take the dash apart yet... Hate to say this, but the rattling is reminding me of my pathetic '02 TL Type S which I haven't missed for one minute.
There's nothing "pathetic" about the 2002 TL type S, it was a good car for its time. I had three TLs before buying the 2007 GS450h -- the 2000 TL, 2003 TL Type S, and then 2004 TL. Each one of them had rattles that I hated; that was one of the key reasons for moving "up" to a Lexus. Little did I know that I was trading in one-two rattles for a whole orchestra or rattles, squeaks, creaks and chimes! The GS has been the biggest automotive disappointment of my life so far!
Old 12-31-08, 06:31 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Modeler
There's nothing "pathetic" about the 2002 TL type S, it was a good car for its time. I had three TLs before buying the 2007 GS450h -- the 2000 TL, 2003 TL Type S, and then 2004 TL. Each one of them had rattles that I hated; that was one of the key reasons for moving "up" to a Lexus. Little did I know that I was trading in one-two rattles for a whole orchestra or rattles, squeaks, creaks and chimes! The GS has been the biggest automotive disappointment of my life so far!
The reliability of my particular TL is what was pathetic - rattles, vibrations and otherwise. I did like the actual car at one point, but the problems and subpar service made it a huge disappointment and my 1st & last Acura. My Hondas, on the other hand, were all great.

Back on topic, I can imagine your frustration going "up" from a TL to a 450h and dealing with this, particularly when the dealer seems unable to eradicate all noises like some others here have been able to.

My first stop after the TL was the GX470, and that is one well-built vehicle (knock on wood). The GS350 I imagine will get louder over time, and believe me, I love the car but am not thrilled with the sound of squeaky foam.

Best of luck to you with the latest fix attempt, and happy New Year.
Old 01-01-09, 07:16 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Back on topic, I can imagine your frustration going "up" from a TL to a 450h and dealing with this, particularly when the dealer seems unable to eradicate all noises like some others here have been able to.
It's like: where do I go from here? I had all these rattle frustrations with $30K Acuras, so I bought a $60K Lexus and got even worse rattles. My lease is up in a year; what do I do? Is there a car brand/model that is reliably quiet? Or do I just suck it up and come to expect rattles from every brand? If that's the case, then the smart decision would be to by the GS450 after the lease ends...
Old 01-02-09, 03:06 PM
lauh1984
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Modeler
The GS has been the biggest automotive disappointment of my life so far!
that's the exact same thing i thought of when the rattles on my car progressively got worse. i had an 06 accord and that thing rattled like a marble in a canteen. so i go and get the an infiniti EX but since the company was willing to buy it back, i let them do it and bought the GS. this is the biggest regret i have in terms of the cars i've driven to date. it's embarrassing to drive around my family with these rattles. when i back out of my drive way at an angle at the ramp, or drive over those angled dips at the parking lots, it sounds as if all the panels are rubbing against each other, like foam squeaks, and then there's the dash. my girlfriend thinks that if i take the car to the dealership, it might come back worse and i think so too. fwiw, her IS250 rattled a lot as well, but after her accident, she got a Rav4 and it's rattle free (but since it's only a month old, i won't say too much about the quality since they're all good the first few months). i've lost faith in any lexus car now
Old 01-02-09, 07:41 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My first stop after the TL was the GX470, and that is one well-built vehicle (knock on wood). The GS350 I imagine will get louder over time, and believe me, I love the car but am not thrilled with the sound of squeaky foam.
Caha14, we both have the same taste in cars. I went from a TL to a GX470 and to a GS350. If this trend keeps up, you will have an Audi next

The GS was like my 1st girl friend, it was my dream car. I was happy for a month and then it broke my heart
Old 01-02-09, 09:53 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Caha14, we both have the same taste in cars. I went from a TL to a GX470 and to a GS350. If this trend keeps up, you will have an Audi next

The GS was like my 1st girl friend, it was my dream car. I was happy for a month and then it broke my heart
what this car needs is some TLC. months of it. not just an overnighter at the dealership.

like your girlfriend, you gotta keep working at the relationship.
Old 01-03-09, 09:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Come on dunnojack, If I wanted to spends months at the dealer, I would have bought a Range Rover
Old 01-03-09, 01:45 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

G MAN - I assume you now have an Audi. If My GS begins to give me any problems, I'm also considering an Audi (A5 or S5). Which one do you have, and how do you like it?
Thanks
Old 01-03-09, 04:43 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man

LOL, and don't forget that we live in the same city too.

So you got rid of the GS? We would consider doing that if it wasn't for the ginormous hit we would take. The fact that it only has 7.2k+ miles and is in pristine condition would only make it more painful, so we'll try to hang on. The next vehicle will hopefully be a 2011 GX if they do a nice job starting in 2010. I do like Audis, so you never know
Old 01-03-09, 05:02 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
like your girlfriend, you gotta keep working at the relationship.
yikes. One needy relationship at a time

I discovered my 06 came with the dreaded dash rattle option package but they have been fixed and not returned for over a year now. 3 separate issues: instrument cluster, dash speaker, windshield spacers. i had the good fortune of getting them all resolved.
Old 01-03-09, 05:46 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bavaria
G MAN - I assume you now have an Audi. If My GS begins to give me any problems, I'm also considering an Audi (A5 or S5). Which one do you have, and how do you like it?
Thanks
I have the A6, I was looking for a 4 door. Like I side early, the Audi is solid, design for all temperature. Handles great and the interior is a bit better than the Lexus.

Quick Reply: Rattles - who has/had those