GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Rattles... How many people have/had them
Never
11.84%
Yes, but they are fixed for good
17.11%
Yes, and no success fixing them
71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles - who has/had those

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 09:31 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

No rattles??
Old 01-04-09, 11:26 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am hearing the rattles as well now, I never really noticed before because I would always have my music on. But now its like really annoying, especially when the entire car is quiet except for the windshield. Furthermore it seems that my moonroof also makes creaking sounds, especially when driving over speedbumps............
Old 01-04-09, 12:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
I am hearing the rattles as well now, I never really noticed before because I would always have my music on. But now its like really annoying, especially when the entire car is quiet except for the windshield. Furthermore it seems that my moonroof also makes creaking sounds, especially when driving over speedbumps............

moonroof creak n rattle is common in ANY car. not just lexus.
Old 01-04-09, 05:53 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
No rattles??
No rattles what so ever and the temp here have got down as low as the le digits. The biggest difference I have notice is that not only is there no rattles, but every panel in the Audi is solid to the touch not like the GS, which makes a certain type of noise depending on which panel I touch. The door panels are the worst, If I push on the the sunroof area, dash board, A pillar and the B pillar area, I can generate a creak, tic, pop or a squeak.
Old 01-04-09, 07:38 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No rattles??

Thanks G Man. I'm thinking more seriously about trading for an Audi, and if the GS gets rattles it's a done deal.
Old 01-05-09, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Bavaria, I hope you wouldnt get any rattle, being in AZ, you have a better change than me of staying rattle free. The GS has a great power train, but its lacking in other areas.
Old 01-11-09, 12:17 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was at the dealership for a week (waiting for parts most of the time). They fixed the windshield/dash squeak again -- they did this a year ago but it came back this winter.

They said they could not replicate the sunroof rattle -- when sunroof is closed the pop-up wind deflector bar sometimes vibrates and rattles when going over bumps. I'm just going to stick a wad of paper under the bar since I never open my sunroof anyway.

Regarding the squeaking breaks they said that I'm out of luck until Lexus finds a solution. I don't buy it; I'll be calling Lexus customer service tomorrow demanding that they replace my pads. The new low-dust pads only started squeaking a year and a half into their life. I say they should put identical new pads until they find a more permanent solution.
Old 01-11-09, 12:46 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my third visit for rattle to the dealership, so far so good.

The first time they insulated whatever's in the dash. The major rattles were gone. The second time they looked behind the dash and didn't find anything but did some more insulation. The third time they finally found out that it's the plastic piece under the windshield wipers outside of the car that's causing the rattle. If your dealership can't find what's rattling behind the dash, that'd be a good place to look.

Crossing my fingers hoping it won't come back soon.
Old 01-12-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yang, so they took your dash apart 3 times already? OMG.
Old 01-12-09, 11:18 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
If it is true you are guys "lucky" in a way. Here in Canada (Richmond Lexus ) they REFUSE to take it apart again, saying that Lexus wont pay twice for the same repair, so basically I'm screwed.
Old 01-12-09, 02:43 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
That is correct!

Originally Posted by vladbph
If it is true you are guys "lucky" in a way. Here in Canada (Richmond Lexus ) they REFUSE to take it apart again, saying that Lexus wont pay twice for the same repair, so basically I'm screwed.
Can't you say the rattle's coming from a different area? Or it sounds different from before so it's not the same rattle and therefore not the same problem?
Old 01-12-09, 02:47 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

I'm taking my car in for it's 5000 mile maintenance this weekend. I didn't notice the rattles until recently and now they're starting to get annoying.

Is it worth asking Lexus to take a look at it when I have the car in for the 5000 mile maintenance? I'm concerned with what it will look like when they put the dash back on. I've heard/read that they have a hard time lining up the dash with the NAV unit and vents. Is that true? I guess I'm torn between possibly getting the rattles fixed and not having the dash perfect (which will annoy me more than the rattles) or dealing with the rattles, but having the dash flush with the NAV/vents.
Old 01-12-09, 03:30 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yang1815
That is correct!

Can't you say the rattle's coming from a different area? Or it sounds different from before so it's not the same rattle and therefore not the same problem?
May be a little different, but places are the same - dash, doors, b-pillars, NAV. Some happen more freq then others, depending on temp, humidity, direction of shock...
Old 01-12-09, 04:35 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
The third time they finally found out that it's the plastic piece under the windshield wipers outside of the car that's causing the rattle. If your dealership can't find what's rattling behind the dash, that'd be a good place to look.

you mean that large plastic cover called the cowl? with the vent holes in it?

Originally Posted by Modeler
Regarding the squeaking breaks they said that I'm out of luck until Lexus finds a solution. I don't buy it; I'll be calling Lexus customer service tomorrow demanding that they replace my pads.
the only solution is to give us all free brembo brake/rotor replacements
Old 01-13-09, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mjb2124
I'm taking my car in for it's 5000 mile maintenance this weekend. I didn't notice the rattles until recently and now they're starting to get annoying.

Is it worth asking Lexus to take a look at it when I have the car in for the 5000 mile maintenance? I'm concerned with what it will look like when they put the dash back on. I've heard/read that they have a hard time lining up the dash with the NAV unit and vents. Is that true? I guess I'm torn between possibly getting the rattles fixed and not having the dash perfect (which will annoy me more than the rattles) or dealing with the rattles, but having the dash flush with the NAV/vents.
I would definitely have them take a look at it. I would take a wider gap on the dash over the rattling dash anyday. You can have the dealer fix the gap if its not to your satifaction, but the more thay take the dash apart, the more likely you will get the rattles in the future.

Quick Reply: Rattles - who has/had those