GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Rattles... How many people have/had them
Never
11.84%
Yes, but they are fixed for good
17.11%
Yes, and no success fixing them
71.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Rattles - who has/had those

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 06:07 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjb2124
I'm taking my car in for it's 5000 mile maintenance this weekend. I didn't notice the rattles until recently and now they're starting to get annoying.

Is it worth asking Lexus to take a look at it when I have the car in for the 5000 mile maintenance? I'm concerned with what it will look like when they put the dash back on. I've heard/read that they have a hard time lining up the dash with the NAV unit and vents. Is that true? I guess I'm torn between possibly getting the rattles fixed and not having the dash perfect (which will annoy me more than the rattles) or dealing with the rattles, but having the dash flush with the NAV/vents.
Yes, definitely worth it. I actually waited til I needed maintenance to take the car in. Just don't have time to deal with it more than I need to. As far as lining up, it's not that hard... Things should either clip in place or placed in place, then secured. If you notice any gap, ask them to fix it next time.

Originally Posted by vladbph
May be a little different, but places are the same - dash, doors, b-pillars, NAV. Some happen more freq then others, depending on temp, humidity, direction of shock...
Well there you go, b-pillars and doors are definitely different from the dash. They should be classified as different problems. Yeah they're rattles but different location = different causes. You don't have to replace all 4 tires when one's flat.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you mean that large plastic cover called the cowl? with the vent holes in it?

the only solution is to give us all free brembo brake/rotor replacements
Yeah there you go, the cowl.

I agree on the Brembo
Old 01-13-09, 09:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my GS is having the dash issue. The removed the dash and insulated it. I took it to lA and used the ****ty highways there and heard the rattle was worse. Now the service guy tells me today that the tech doesnt hear anything. The roads here in AZ are so smoothe that is hard for you to hear it, but when I go to LA it out of control
Old 01-14-09, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I8ABMR, you are lucky you dont have to deal with the cold temp. the rattles are 10 times worst in the cold.
Old 01-14-09, 09:14 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by echelon
The next big question is how long will they keep fixing the creaks. I'm out of warranty next summer so I'm sure it'll be a nice conversation if it comes back after that.
CALL 1-800-25-LEXUS...i was out of warranty and they vouch my warranty for numerous things. Just half to talk to them calmly and politely. Explain to them that you bought a Lexus and its making rattling noises...
Old 01-14-09, 09:58 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I called them to schedule the service and to have them fix the rattle (it actually is less of a rattle and more like 2 styrofoam pieces rubbing against each other). The service guy told me they can't do the dash rattle on a Saturday...it has to be looked at during a week. That makes no sense to me, but I told him fine as long as I get a loaner because I need to get to/from work. He gave me a little bit of a struggle for the loaner, but not too much.

So they're going to look at it next week. The odd thing is, this is the 2nd time I've had the car in to the shop and they've given me problems about a loaner both times. I never thought that would be such a hassle.
Old 01-14-09, 10:05 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjb2124
Thanks for the advice guys. I called them to schedule the service and to have them fix the rattle (it actually is less of a rattle and more like 2 styrofoam pieces rubbing against each other). The service guy told me they can't do the dash rattle on a Saturday...it has to be looked at during a week. That makes no sense to me, but I told him fine as long as I get a loaner because I need to get to/from work. He gave me a little bit of a struggle for the loaner, but not too much.

So they're going to look at it next week. The odd thing is, this is the 2nd time I've had the car in to the shop and they've given me problems about a loaner both times. I never thought that would be such a hassle.
They shouldn't give you a hassle for a loaner. That is ridiculous...talk to a service manager and give him your input. My car is still at the dealer and it's been over 7 weeks now and they gave me a loaner with no hassle at all.
Old 01-14-09, 02:25 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer never hassles anyone about loaners - however they charge $5.00 for the privilege.
Old 01-14-09, 07:35 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomastan
They just call me this morning. They said the clips won't be here until Jan. 8, 2009...can you believe that. My car would be at the dealer for over a month than..... not a happy customer at this point. At least they warranty everything for me...happy but not as happy i want to be. Yes..they gave me a ES350 loaner. I think i might half to give 1-800-25-Lexus a call again...
Did you really get to keep loaner for a month? Mine is in for the 2nd time for dash rattle and was told insulating kit is on national backorder for 2 weeks.
I was told to bring back loaner and they will call me to reschedule when part comes in.
Old 01-14-09, 08:52 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just dropped off mine today for the same rattles issue... we'll see how it works out... got a 2009 RX350 loaner...
Old 01-15-09, 01:55 AM
george1688
Driver

Just wondering whether these rattles are present when it is hot (about 80 degrees), and whether these rattles affect 2007 and 2008 model year GS350 RWD without sunroof, because I was thinking about buying an 06 GS300 but because of the recession the 07's and 06's are about the same price so thinking about an 07.
Old 01-15-09, 05:19 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by george1688
Just wondering whether these rattles are present when it is hot (about 80 degrees), and whether these rattles affect 2007 and 2008 model year GS350 RWD without sunroof, because I was thinking about buying an 06 GS300 but because of the recession the 07's and 06's are about the same price so thinking about an 07.
From what I've read, it looks like all models are affected equally. I am in Texas, and in the summer, I had very few rattles, but now with morning temps in the 30s, the rattles are noticeable.

I don't think they sold the 3GS in the USA without a sunroof, so I don't think you'll get much feedback on that idea. Besides most of the issue is rattles from the dash, not the sunroof.
Old 01-15-09, 06:08 AM
george1688
Driver

Originally Posted by Arantant
From what I've read, it looks like all models are affected equally. I am in Texas, and in the summer, I had very few rattles, but now with morning temps in the 30s, the rattles are noticeable.

I don't think they sold the 3GS in the USA without a sunroof, so I don't think you'll get much feedback on that idea. Besides most of the issue is rattles from the dash, not the sunroof.
I'm in Singapore btw where the temperature is around 75-85 all day and in Singapore no Lexus comes standard with a sunroof, even my LS.
Old 01-15-09, 07:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The rattles are temp related, being singapore, you have a much better chance of getting a GS with no rattles.
Old 01-15-09, 10:45 AM
mikegs350
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone gone to Newport Lexus to fix the rattling? My car is pretty bad also and when it rattles it interferes with my bluetooth so its hard for the other person to hear me. This poses quite a problem for me since im on bluetooth a lot for business and its illegal in CA to talk without bluetooth. I was afraid of taking it in earlier cause i heard some people complain that taking it in only makes it worse, but its gotten pretty bad especially in cold weathers.
Old 01-15-09, 12:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I would take it in if it is that bad.

Quick Reply: Rattles - who has/had those