GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

So... yeah. GS350 Burnout? Sure...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 08:45 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Why would anyone try to do a burnout with the VDC on????? Seems like it kind of goes aginst the goal of breaking traction. I have done things in G35 loaner cars that would make this burnout look more like unwanted wheel spin than a real burnout . I did a burnout once that was so intense that I couldnt see through the front wndshield. When I got home to pick up my wife she couldnt even get into the car because the smell of the rubber in the interior. LOL. I miss the low end grunt of the G. Thanks for sharing man. I still think it was cool to see someone try to push a lexus
I miss my G35 too. It was a fun car to drive.
I'm really considering the G37 but it doesn't have the same sound of the VQ. Everytime I hear one I stop dead in my tracks to seek it out.
Old 12-17-08, 08:51 PM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm a little naive, but what damage does doing a burnout or the driving shown in the video drpepper posted cause to the car besides tons less life on the tires???

I was planning on pulling some of the same stunts when my tires were ready for a replacement.
Old 12-17-08, 10:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

guys I dont think that mild burnout is not enough to damage driveline parts or the rear brakes.
Old 12-17-08, 10:29 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just causes wear, but nothing unless you slap the side/wheels into a curb. MAYBE some wear on bushings but nothing too crazy considering that the bushings are made to last.

Consider it breaking in a new motor... if it survived the beating then it will last forever. PLUS, its only a handful of people who do this. I normally wouldn't do this but it was my friend's idea.
Old 12-18-08, 10:22 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Strain....lots of stress on the transmission...
Old 12-18-08, 10:29 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Just causes wear, but nothing unless you slap the side/wheels into a curb. MAYBE some wear on bushings but nothing too crazy considering that the bushings are made to last.

Consider it breaking in a new motor... if it survived the beating then it will last forever. PLUS, its only a handful of people who do this. I normally wouldn't do this but it was my friend's idea.
How much wear is a really important issue for people planning to keep their car a long time.
The GS350 has decent torque but is not a torque monster. I don't believe it was built with the ability to handle this kind of stress. While I don't believe one or 2 burnouts is a big deal, I wouldn't advise doing it too much.
Old 12-18-08, 11:13 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
You gotta feel really sorry for the next owner of this one
they used that one for the GS commercial.

and it sounds like a V8
Old 12-18-08, 05:20 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
How much wear is a really important issue for people planning to keep their car a long time.
The GS350 has decent torque but is not a torque monster. I don't believe it was built with the ability to handle this kind of stress. While I don't believe one or 2 burnouts is a big deal, I wouldn't advise doing it too much.
um.... yeah. you do realize that this is almost the same motor in the IS350 right? I wonder how IS350 driver drive like. Thats like saying a camry isn't built to go past 100,000 miles.

from what i've read, toyota usually over builds their drivetrain components.
Old 12-18-08, 06:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
um.... yeah. you do realize that this is almost the same motor in the IS350 right? I wonder how IS350 driver drive like. Thats like saying a camry isn't built to go past 100,000 miles.

from what i've read, toyota usually over builds their drivetrain components.
I wouldn't do a lot of burnouts in an IS350 either.
Old 12-18-08, 07:56 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't do a lot of burnouts in an IS350 either.
You wouldn't but I'm pretty sure Lexus over built the drivetrain for those who do. After all, the IS250 was aimed for those who wanted a nice car but didn't need the extra power... more economical. The IS350 was aimed at those who wanted a quick luxury car, basically aimed at the lower spectrum of drivers. People who are more of a car enthusiast.
Old 12-18-08, 08:10 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

yeah, while it doesnt seem right to see these cars stressed like that, until the car slides into a buildling or thick curb, the damage really wouldnt be THAT bad, maybe some transmission wear but itd be mostly tires. your car wouldnt automatically fall apart cuz u did a few donuts and burnouts, maybe if it had 200,000 miles on it but... a new lexus?
Old 12-18-08, 10:00 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm.....very interesting.........
Old 12-18-08, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would bet alot of money that the driveline parts and motor can handle more that a 100 burnouts. The tires break traction after relatively little force. Now imagine gunning your car on onramps with the massive weight of our cars. I really think that these components of these cars can handle way more force that the force required to break grip on two small contact patches. Burn it out baby. It should be no problem.
Old 12-19-08, 06:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would bet alot of money that the driveline parts and motor can handle more that a 100 burnouts. The tires break traction after relatively little force. Now imagine gunning your car on onramps with the massive weight of our cars. I really think that these components of these cars can handle way more force that the force required to break grip on two small contact patches. Burn it out baby. It should be no problem.
What about the electronic systems that are designed to prevent slippage. You don't believe the computer sensors that control traction are going to be affected by burnouts? You're forcing the car to do something it doesn't want to do. Doesn't sound logical to me.
Plus, I don't believe Toyota/Lexus used heavy duty parts in the differential, driveshaft and tranny to sustain abuse. Maybe a couple burnouts but frequent abuse?
Well, I guess we'll find out. When one guy tries something and spreads the word, others will follow.
Go ahead, burn it out guys. In fact, I wanna see some.
Old 12-19-08, 07:09 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

What about the electronic systems that are designed to prevent slippage. You don't believe the computer sensors that control traction are going to be affected by burnouts? You're forcing the car to do something it doesn't want to do. Doesn't sound logical to me.
Plus, I don't believe Toyota/Lexus used heavy duty parts in the differential, driveshaft and tranny to sustain abuse. Maybe a couple burnouts but frequent abuse?
Well, I guess we'll find out. When one guy tries something and spreads the word, others will follow.
Go ahead, burn it out guys. In fact, I wanna see some.
If they designed a traction system, why the heck would they have a switch for turning it off? Why not just leave it on and stick it to the consumer. After all, what you never had will never be missed.

Plus nobody in their right mind would be doing constant burnouts unless either its not their car or they plan to sale it.

Quick Reply: So... yeah. GS350 Burnout? Sure...