GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Extended warranty seems to be worthless

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 12:00 AM
pr0digy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty seems to be worthless

I have extended warranty on my 2006 gs430 until 100k. They claimed it to cover anything wrong with the car from "head to toe". This is untrue. I brought the car in because my left headlight was going off by itself while I was driving. It started to happen regularly (every night). They say the problem is with the headlight assembly ( moisture got in some how). They said its not covered. Why? Its not a wear or tear product.. the part alone is $1100. 1100 bucks + labor to fix a headlight. Extended warranty proves to be worthless.
Old 12-18-08, 06:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If the headlight was not modifed or work on before and mositure got in there, then its a factory defect and should be cover. I would call up Lexus headquarter or try another dealer.
Old 12-18-08, 06:31 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very disconcerting to see (and I'm sure way more disconcerting to have to pay for - sorry to read about your situation). Is this the Lexus CPO Warranty?

The exclusions are supposed to be the following

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/warranty.html

I can't figure how the headlight assembly would possibly be excluded???
Old 12-18-08, 06:34 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wonder if moisture in headlamp is common. when you change the bulb, doesn't air get into the headlamp?

on my older lexus, there was always water vapor inside the headlamp shell.

OP, let us know if anyone eventually covers your shiet under warranty. sparked my curiosity.
Old 12-18-08, 06:40 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
This is very disconcerting to see (and I'm sure way more disconcerting to have to pay for - sorry to read about your situation). Is this the Lexus CPO Warranty?

The exclusions are supposed to be the following

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty:

Standard Upkeep Items:
accessory drive belts, batteries, filters, fluids, heating and vacuum hoses, lines and tubes, tires, spark plugs, windshield wiper blades (rubber component).

Wear and Tear:
Examples include brake pads, rotors, shoes and drums and manual clutches.

Body and Interior:
bumpers, carpet, chrome, dash cover and pad, door trim, handles, fabric, glass (including windshield), headliner, hinges, interior and exterior trim and moldings, cupholders, ashtrays, covers and vents, lightbulbs, nuts, bolts, clips, retainers and fasteners, paint, rust and corrosion damage, seat covers, shiny metals, weather stripping.

Accessories:
any non-Lexus accessories or modified components, including but not limited to wheels, radar detectors and cellular phones.

Other:
any component which has not failed, but that a repair facility recommends or requires to be replaced, repaired or adjusted.

not even rust is covered.

they should just reword and simplify the whole policy:

The following components are specifically excluded from coverage under the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty and Extended Warranty:

EVERYTHING!
JUST FORK OVER THE $2750, SUCKER.
Old 12-18-08, 06:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

So the dealer told you first it was covered (this thread) and now they aren't?

Have you had any accidents to the the front of your car (or did you run a carfax /check dealer service records when you bought it to see if had been in an accident)? Did you put in any aftermarket HID bulbs, other bulbs kits, etc or is it totally stock? Please share more specific reasoning the dealer gave you on why it isn't covered.
Old 12-18-08, 07:39 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by dunnojack
not even rust is covered.
Rust and corrosion damage itself not being covered makes sense. Not covering a major electrical component and including that under a corrosion exclusion because moisture is involved doesn't necessarily make sense.
Old 12-18-08, 08:11 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

wow.....I can not believe that they are making you pay all that money. Go take it up with someone else until you get what you deserve.......
Old 12-18-08, 09:25 AM
jeffree
Driver School Candidate

i had the same problem and it was covered under my warranty (not extended). my left headlight would just turn off after a few seconds after being turned on.
Old 12-18-08, 10:08 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Go up the chain of command......some advisors can be a-holes
Old 12-18-08, 02:00 PM
pr0digy
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
So the dealer told you first it was covered (this thread) and now they aren't?

Have you had any accidents to the the front of your car (or did you run a carfax /check dealer service records when you bought it to see if had been in an accident)? Did you put in any aftermarket HID bulbs, other bulbs kits, etc or is it totally stock? Please share more specific reasoning the dealer gave you on why it isn't covered.
Yeah the first time I brought it in, they said it "should" be covered since its not a wear and tear item. From there, they called me back and said they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Since the problem was pretty intermittent.(randomly happening) Im sure they just turned on the headlights a few times and didnt properly diagnosed the problem. They told me to come back when it was happening more often. So I came back with the headlight off ( it was happening every night now at least 3 or 4 times while im driving). They had a tech come out and he immediately said its the bulb. (in my mind I thought how could it be the bulb when it lights up and shorts out) So from there they take it in and i get a loaner. Few days later they tell me its the headlamp assembly and mouisture got in it. and say extended warranty doesnt cover the part.

So where do I call to get this resolved. It seems like it should be covered right?

BTW the headlight has never been modified in any way, and No there has never been any accident in the car. Perfect car fax. I have never even touched it. So embarrassing to have 1 headlight off while driving in a 50k lexus!
Old 12-18-08, 05:30 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Did you take it to the dealer that you bought it from ??? If not, take it back to the original dealer, even if not covered by ext warranty, they should cover it as 'good will'. Otherwise try another dealer, I've found warranty work from Lexus to be hit or miss, one dealer will deny warranty coverage while another will take it. Good luck.
Old 12-18-08, 05:42 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Lexus extended warranty's wear and tear warranty?
Old 12-18-08, 09:29 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CALL 1-800-25-LEXUS...tell them you want to file a claim and would like to speak to Mrs. Celeste...be nice and professional about the situation to her. Tell her how you feel and provide everything you just told us...she will help you out. I went over 50K miles and she still warranty my rattling on my dashboard, rear view mirror and rear park sensors.
Old 12-18-08, 10:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

That would **** me off and I would go to another dealership. Moisture in the light assembly is BS and Lexus should take care of it. I am going to be extening mine at the next oil change or the one after that. Thanks for the input. I will be honest and say my service advisor has never ceased to blow me away with the help and service quality. I have yet to be burned by lexus, but I am sure tey are aware that things like this will cost them customers. 1 angry customer will usually negate the praise of 6 happy customers

Quick Reply: Extended warranty seems to be worthless