GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeaks and dash noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 08:53 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by thomastan
Got mine back this friday...so far NO RATTLES and im happy with the repairs. I know a lot of you guys don't want the dealers to tear the dash apart but let me tell you...Park Place Lexus did an excellent job of putting everything back. My car is so quiet and the ride is smooth...this is how a Lexus should be !!!
i also have this styroform noise from my dash, and yes, i don't want the dealer to tear out my dash making things even worse.. this happened to me before with my g35. how long was your car in the dealer? what were the parts back ordered to leave your car such an extended period of time?
Old 01-25-09, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my dash has been out before and will be replaced under warranty. I ha d an area of discoloration so they are gonna replace the entire unit. Hopefully this time they line the back of the dash with felt tape like there is no tomorrow

ps close to 2" drop and the 30 profile tires dont help the vibration issue as well. I feel for the members in LA that have their GS's lowered on dubs
Old 01-25-09, 10:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's gonna be a vicious cycle.

everytime you hear a click, you're gonna ask them to take apart your dash. The clips will get worn out, and your dashboard will just get looser and looser, creating new rattles.

it seems all they do is stick felt on everything, because it's hard to pinpoint the source of the noise.

since rattles are gonna develop over the next 50000 miles, it's just better to stick foam in the gaps, and wait till the end to have everything fixed at once.

you guys are torturing yourselves.
Old 01-26-09, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

RudeDoggy, I had the exact same issue. I had the dealer fix the rattle in the winter, come summertime, the rattle re-surface as ticking noise. Maybe there is some truth to what your SA is telling you. My guess is that Lexus will make a stand on this rattle fixing interval soon, it much be costing them a lot of money to have owners comes back again and again to take the whole dash apart. All these felt tapes and foams are just temporary fix in my opinion. Its actually stretching those plastic dash clip out and the rattle will come back sooner or later, and foam and felt tapes dont last forever. Is there a clip design that Lexus is using to replace the old one, can anyone confrim this?
Old 01-26-09, 07:01 AM
HenryHYee
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises fixed, but radio loses stations

Hi,

We had our new GS's rattles and dash creaking fixed, but now the radio loses stations intermittently. Its back at the dealer now. Anyone had this happen to them?

Henry
Old 01-26-09, 07:53 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
RudeDoggy, I had the exact same issue. I had the dealer fix the rattle in the winter, come summertime, the rattle re-surface as ticking noise. Maybe there is some truth to what your SA is telling you. My guess is that Lexus will make a stand on this rattle fixing interval soon, it much be costing them a lot of money to have owners comes back again and again to take the whole dash apart. All these felt tapes and foams are just temporary fix in my opinion. Its actually stretching those plastic dash clip out and the rattle will come back sooner or later, and foam and felt tapes dont last forever. Is there a clip design that Lexus is using to replace the old one, can anyone confrim this?
no they will not. that is what the warranty is for.

lexus knows they fuct up the build on this car, and they dare not alter their policy about fixing it.

I've read Audi, on the other hand, only warrants rattles for 1 year or something. Better make sure you're driving on paved road
Old 01-26-09, 08:12 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
yes, there is a national back order parts for the dash rattles, but only if your car is diagnose with that problem, thank god mine was fixed without needing that part
Does anyone know how long parts are on National back order? It has been 2 weeks since I took my car in for rattles and still awaiting parts.
Old 01-26-09, 08:38 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...the tech guy told me he replace mine with different clips. I'm rattle free for now...drove the car for 3 straight days now and not one rattle at all.
Old 01-26-09, 08:44 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvincent
i also have this styroform noise from my dash, and yes, i don't want the dealer to tear out my dash making things even worse.. this happened to me before with my g35. how long was your car in the dealer? what were the parts back ordered to leave your car such an extended period of time?
I put all the parts they replace in one of these threads last week. They replace lots of parts ... my service advisor told me the bill came out to be $3000 but Lexus cover everything for me since my warranty expired already. They kept my car for almost 2 months because after they took it apart and replace some items it was still rattling so they had to order another clip that was back order for like over a month. I didn't mine tho because they took care of me and they gave me a loaner. I don't know about you guy's dealer where you are at but my dealer tore my dash apart and put it back to my satisfaction.
Old 01-26-09, 02:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
no they will not. that is what the warranty is for.

lexus knows they fuct up the build on this car, and they dare not alter their policy about fixing it.
Lexus has a very good service department, but do you really think that Lexus would keep appling the same TSB to the same problem over and over again if it didnt fix it the 1st time. If there is a new TSB for the same problem, then thats a different story.
Old 01-26-09, 02:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus has a very good service department, but do you really think that Lexus would keep appling the same TSB to the same problem over and over again if it didnt fix it the 1st time. If there is a new TSB for the same problem, then thats a different story.
a phone call to lexus HQ usually solves the problem.

there are a few reasons why a tsb would fail to fix a problem, e.g the tech did a sloppy job

They're getting paid flat rate, and working against the clock, so some couldn't care less. That is why i refuse to take my car to get interior noises fixed unless they're really bad and coming from all over the car.
Old 01-26-09, 04:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
a phone call to lexus HQ usually solves the problem.

there are a few reasons why a tsb would fail to fix a problem, e.g the tech did a sloppy job

They're getting paid flat rate, and working against the clock, so some couldn't care less. That is why i refuse to take my car to get interior noises fixed unless they're really bad and coming from all over the car.
If there isnt a fix for the problem, you can call the president of Lexus and it wouldnt matter
A few good example of tsbs which fail to fix the problem from the time to time is the GS's dash rattle and squeaky brakes.
All dealer work on a flat rate when it comes to warranty work but they still to to justify the work and have to follow Lexus's warranty policy, otherwise Lexus will not pay them anything.
You live Cali, so your rattles are not that bad. If you can hear my dash board in the dead of winter, you will understand what we are talking about, but thats not even the point, those rattle should have never been there to start with in a brand new $55000 car.
Old 01-26-09, 04:45 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The G Man, interesting to hear your experience with the squeak/ticks. I see you are from MA so your winters are similar to mine (maybe slightly warmer than us?). I am starting to wonder if I should take my chances and take it in to get it fixed once and for all (they keep bugging me to come in so they can replace a vent they broke the last time they adjusted my dash...).

Originally Posted by thomastan
These all all the items they change for my front dash rattles below:

(1) NOISE KIT
(1) LOVER SUB-ASSY, COW
(1) STAY, INSTRUMENT PAN
(7) CLIP, INSTRUMENT PAN

CAUSE: EXCESSIVE BODY CLEARENCE/REFER TO TSIBL-SB-0040-08 REMOVED DASH PAD AND INSULATE PANEL CLIPS/HVAC DUCT/A-PILLAR GARNIS & REPLACE COWL LOUVER NV8040 INSTRUMENT PANEL RATTLE R&R INSTRUMENT PANEL SAFETY
This is what I have noted on the work I had done back in September when they said they "fixed" my rattles:

-RE-RE front dash panel. Adjusted. Installed insulation secured to reduce/eliminate noise as per TSB.

It looks like you got a more comprehensive fix. I wonder what the "noise kit," "lover," and "stay" are. Anyone able to provide some insight into this? And with my last dash job, does "installed insulation secured to reduce/eliminate noies as per TSB" mean they padded the clips? I'm not quite sure what that descriptor even means.
Old 01-26-09, 06:01 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy

It looks like you got a more comprehensive fix. I wonder what the "noise kit," "lover," and "stay" are. Anyone able to provide some insight into this? And with my last dash job, does "installed insulation secured to reduce/eliminate noies as per TSB" mean they padded the clips? I'm not quite sure what that descriptor even means.

noise kit is just a box of felt tape.

they go buckwild and plaster the tape everywhere, every crack, crevice, anything that has a taping surface.

it's ugly
Old 01-26-09, 06:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
The G Man, interesting to hear your experience with the squeak/ticks. I see you are from MA so your winters are similar to mine (maybe slightly warmer than us?). I am starting to wonder if I should take my chances and take it in to get it fixed once and for all (they keep bugging me to come in so they can replace a vent they broke the last time they adjusted my dash...).
As far as I am concerned, there is not a good reason for not bringing it in and have them have a try at fixing it. They couldnt make the any rattles worst no matter what they do. The worst that can happen is that they put the dash back together with gaps that are wider than factory, which is a pretty common problem with taking the dash apart and adding padded tape. Look at it this way, the price of the warranty is added to the sticker price of the car, you already paid for that 4 year warranty, dont put up with problems that you already paid for to get fix. Its almost like those people who buy insurance and refuse to use it

Quick Reply: Squeaks and dash noise