GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeaks and dash noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 12:16 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meet you halfway and than jack me for my ride??? Just kidding...but if you need help. I'm sure i can instruct you over the phone on the nav/dvd hack.
Old 02-08-09, 09:43 PM
rtDDS26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard my first rattle today...driver side and sounds like its right next to my ear. Would be more tolerable if it were elsewhere, and not next to my head. It's not horribly loud but when its next to your head it sounds a bit more amplified. I have only 900 miles on it. It's annoying if its completely silent in my car but if I'm on bluetooth or have a bit of music on I guess you can say its barely noticeable. Wish the rattle didn't come so soon though...needless to say, I still love my car.
Old 02-08-09, 10:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rtDDS26
Heard my first rattle today...driver side and sounds like its right next to my ear. Would be more tolerable if it were elsewhere, and not next to my head. It's not horribly loud but when its next to your head it sounds a bit more amplified. I have only 900 miles on it. It's annoying if its completely silent in my car but if I'm on bluetooth or have a bit of music on I guess you can say its barely noticeable. Wish the rattle didn't come so soon though...needless to say, I still love my car.
pillar rattle. should be an easy fix. it's easy to remove the plastic covers from there
Old 02-09-09, 05:47 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dunnojack
pillar rattle. should be an easy fix. it's easy to remove the plastic covers from there
Got any advice on removing these? I noticed the end of one of those plastic pieces that are covered in felt is dented a bit. I wanted to pop it off and push out the indent, but was worried that I'd scratch up the felt.
Old 02-18-09, 03:01 PM
didit70
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 3GS AWD with 34,000 miles on it. I just recently got the rattling dash. Lexus called me about the campaigns that needed to be done on my car last week. While i was at the dealership, i decided to ask them to look at the rattle in my dash. he tried the old "well, it's cold outside right now so it's going to rattle like that because of the parts contracting in the cold weather". i said, let's go and test drive a new one. if it rattles, i'll keep my mouth shut. but i can guarantee you that the new car will not rattle. this isn't my first car, and all the cars i've owned have all had dashboards in them. bottom line, they looked at it and it turned out that the mounts for the center speaker in the dash were either loose or broken. i am now rattle free.

you just have to stand your ground when they give you these crazy reasons...
Old 02-19-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Even if you test drove a new GS and the dash rattles, that still doesnt make it right IMO.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-20-09 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-19-09, 02:37 PM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Even if you test drove a nre GS and the dash rattles, that still doesnt make it right IMO.
For any new car. The CTS forum members are trying to say even rthough the car has a drone like sound and a very bad vibration between 40-70 mph in the drivetrain that it is ok because other then that you have a great American built sports sedan. 20K or 100K I wouldn't put up with it.
Old 02-19-09, 06:14 PM
didit70
Driver School Candidate

Even if you test drove a nre GS and the dash rattles, that still doesnt make it right IMO.
you are absolutely correct, however that wasn't my point... i knew that the new dash wouldn't rattle, that's why i gave that option... and if no rattling dash in a new car exposed to the same temperatures, then my dash should not rattle (which negates his weather argument)... no one would put up with a rattling dash in a new car, especially a luxury car from a company who's slogan is the relentless pursuit of perfection... rattling dashboards does not equal perfection...
Old 02-20-09, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jane12
For any new car. The CTS forum members are trying to say even rthough the car has a drone like sound and a very bad vibration between 40-70 mph in the drivetrain that it is ok because other then that you have a great American built sports sedan. 20K or 100K I wouldn't put up with it.
Dont really understand those Cadillac fanboys. THe CTS is cheap enough as it is if they dont complain to Cadillac, how are they suppose to make better cars.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-20-09 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-20-09, 10:49 AM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Dont really understand those Cadillac fanboys. THe CTS is cheap enough as it is if they dont complain to Cadillac, how are they suppose to make better cars.
It sounds like they are complaining but Cadillac is saying well we don't know why it's doing that and alot of not returning phone calls about it so they are saying and telling others that well othwer then those problems it's a great American Sports Sedan. That's a little hard to swallow.
Old 02-20-09, 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you can say that about the GS also, other than the constant rattles, it a great car.
Old 02-20-09, 12:04 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you can say that about the GS also, other than the constant rattles, it a great car.
but lexus will address the issue by trying to fix it, right? reading between the lines regarding cadillac, it sounds like they are not even bothering to try.
Old 02-20-09, 12:30 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn the IS and GS all have the same problems. My sister has a 08' GS350 and she had same problem. She took it to Longo and they did a test drive together and they said it was coming from the dash, so they gave her a loaner and fix the problem. It took them a day. As long as its still under warranty (4yrs or 50K miles) they shouldnt be questioning you. My IS has the same problem and i'm just going to live with the noise. Its not bad. I just dont trust the dealership with keep my car over night! lol
Old 02-20-09, 04:01 PM
vandit23
Driver

I've been having rattle problems for a while. Car went in to dealer about 7 times JUST for rattles...It was ok, and then this last visit, they made it WORSE!!

What really sucks is that, now that it's about 75-80 degrees here in L.A. the rattles are gone!!! BUT the problem is that there shouldn't be ANY rattle issue no matter the climate!!! I'm hoping that monday will be cold so I can take it in and it'll rattle like hell again...This small pain in the **** is unacceptable in such an expensive car...by subaru forester has less rattles on the same roads!!

Has anyone heard of any other GS owners getting the entire dash replaced with a new one? Maybe the 07 dashes had some crappy materials they used...

Otherwise I LOVE the car...just the rattles make me regret spending so much money for such a car...

HAD TO LET THAT OUT!!!
Old 02-20-09, 05:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vandit23
I've been having rattle problems for a while. Car went in to dealer about 7 times JUST for rattles...It was ok, and then this last visit, they made it WORSE!!

What really sucks is that, now that it's about 75-80 degrees here in L.A. the rattles are gone!!! BUT the problem is that there shouldn't be ANY rattle issue no matter the climate!!! I'm hoping that monday will be cold so I can take it in and it'll rattle like hell again...This small pain in the **** is unacceptable in such an expensive car...by subaru forester has less rattles on the same roads!!

Has anyone heard of any other GS owners getting the entire dash replaced with a new one? Maybe the 07 dashes had some crappy materials they used...

Otherwise I LOVE the car...just the rattles make me regret spending so much money for such a car...

HAD TO LET THAT OUT!!!

keep taking it in and it will just get worse. all that repeated disassembly will just make it looser.

there is no difference between the 07 and 08 dashes. they're all the same material.

and if it's temperature related, then there's even less you can do. It just means that the material varies too much with temperature. All the felt tape in the world won't stop it indefinitely. And you probably have 10 pounds of tape in your dash already....

all cars will rattle eventually, unless you don't drive it at all.
all that flexing, twisting, bumps shake everything loose.
even worse when a car has "defective" dashboard material, and less rigid chassis.

oh, and your car is not expensive anymore. it's now worth about $25k-30k, and rattles like a $30k car is supposed to.
welcome to the 21st century, where rattles are a standard feature. yes, even bmw offers them at no extra charge

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-20-09 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeaks and dash noise