GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeaks and dash noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 07:32 AM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So nobody can get it fixed right?
Old 02-21-09, 09:13 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

doesn't look that way. Now I just look forward to when it gets warmer so it will go away. Hopefully I wont have anyone in my car during the winters to avoid the embarrassment.
Old 02-21-09, 10:55 AM
vandit23
Driver

Originally Posted by bozer
doesn't look that way. Now I just look forward to when it gets warmer so it will go away. Hopefully I wont have anyone in my car during the winters to avoid the embarrassment.
I here ya...That's the worst feeling..."Oh yeah, let's take a ride in my Lexus..." then once they get in..."This is a Lexus???"

I wonder what Lexus' idea of "pursuit for perfection" is...

Also, I find it annoying that the rattles should be all across the model ranges. When I get an abused RX as a loaner during my overpriced service I get from the dealer, there is WAYYY less noises from the cabin than my GS ever made...

They are getting inconsistent...Maybe they should send their engineers and learn from some of the non-luxury brand car companies that somehow don't have rattles inside the cabin.
Old 02-21-09, 02:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

flawed materials + flawed design = rattles you can't fix.

I'm afraid your only long term solution is a loud stereo and exhaust.

or if you like classical music, think of the rattles as the percussion section of the orchestra.
Old 02-21-09, 02:35 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

It can be fixed, my car is proof of that. I 've been through 2 winters and the dash rattle has not returned. There are no squeaks or rattles anywhere in the cabin.
Old 02-21-09, 04:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkb43
It can be fixed, my car is proof of that. I 've been through 2 winters and the dash rattle has not returned. There are no squeaks or rattles anywhere in the cabin.
they took apart your dashboard, and fixed the windshield too?
Old 02-22-09, 04:41 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

From service invoice here is what they did:
R/R Dash Pad insulated as per NV004-06
2 08231-00801 Noise Kit
Removed both top/bottom windshield pins
They also stated that they padded the area around one of the ducts, and other areas.
Old 02-23-09, 02:52 PM
vandit23
Driver

any good socal dealers that give good results in the rattles dept.? I've been to Keyes in Van Nuys, but no good results. Any have comments on Longo?
Old 02-23-09, 04:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vandit23
any good socal dealers that give good results in the rattles dept.? I've been to Keyes in Van Nuys, but no good results. Any have comments on Longo?
i've been to longo before. they didn't fck up my car, so i guess that makes them better than some.

try longo, then try glendale if longo fails.

longo used to give loaners with free gas. no refill needed on return. dunno if that's still the case. but gas is cheap.
Old 02-23-09, 05:16 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I keep telling myself to wait .. maybe they will find a magical fix, but I think Im going to give up that hope and give them another shot. Its just so friggin embarassing. When I'm driving on the BQE and its cold out I feel like I'm driving in a box of styrofoam.
Old 02-24-09, 05:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And how long do you think all those felt tape will last? Its nothing more than band aid fix.
Old 02-24-09, 04:23 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
And how long do you think all those felt tape will last? Its nothing more than band aid fix.
Exactly how do you imagine felt is going to wear out inside the dash? I expect it to last for the life of the car.
Do you think Lexus is the only one to use felt kits to stop rattles? Or that only Lexus develops dash rattles?

I have an 08 535 company car that had dash rattle from day one, guess how BMW fixed it? BMW Felt Kit. Had 05 A6 company car prior, developed numerous rattles, guess how audi solved the problem? Felt pads.
Old 02-24-09, 06:32 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Everything is fixable. It is just a matter of how far dealer is willing to go fixing them - time/money?. This is not hard as a matter of fact. If I'd had guts to take a dash apart myself I would do it . BTW, I have instructions...
Old 02-24-09, 07:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly how do you imagine felt is going to wear out inside the dash? I expect it to last for the life of the car.
Do you think Lexus is the only one to use felt kits to stop rattles? Or that only Lexus develops dash rattles?

I have an 08 535 company car that had dash rattle from day one, guess how BMW fixed it? BMW Felt Kit. Had 05 A6 company car prior, developed numerous rattles, guess how audi solved the problem? Felt pads.
true that!

Originally Posted by bozer
I keep telling myself to wait .. maybe they will find a magical fix, but I think Im going to give up that hope and give them another shot. Its just so friggin embarassing. When I'm driving on the BQE and its cold out I feel like I'm driving in a box of styrofoam.
maybe you can try some foam/rubber wedge between the windshield and dashboard. The clips that they replace are near the top of the dash, so sticking a wedge might push it tight.

the other thing is 3M silicone lubricant plus wet type. some people have had success with this bandaid.

you can buy it for a few bucks at a local paint shop. check link
http://selector.3m.com/selector/us/e...10&buttongo=Go
Old 02-25-09, 06:35 AM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Something wrong about a $40,000+ car you have to spray 3M on to keep squeek free. This stuff is starting me to rethink I want a GS.

Quick Reply: Squeaks and dash noise