GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Squeaks and dash noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 07:44 AM
frtbroker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaks and dash noise

I have heard several problems with squeaks and rattles in the dash of Gs models.
Old 01-08-09, 07:52 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but it's a more broad issue than it might seem at a glance. There are multiple potential problems and multiple specific repairs/remedies.

There are several threads on the forum.

Are you experiencing noise from your dash?
Old 01-08-09, 08:08 AM
frtbroker
Driver School Candidate

Yes, only when on a bumpy road
Old 01-08-09, 08:23 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frtbroker
Yes, only when on a bumpy road
Is there an apparent relationship to outside temperature (i.e., does it only happen below certain temps)?

How would you describe the sound and where specifically does it seem to come from?
Old 01-08-09, 08:57 AM
frtbroker
Driver School Candidate

I think you are correct about the temp...............its mostly when its cold.
Chicago today 14..............lets see what the summer brings. I just replaced the original tires (run flats) With 245/45/17 and it is so much smoother. The Run flats seemed to me to be a little stiff
Old 01-08-09, 10:48 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is still at the dealer and it's well over a month now. Supposely the back order parts come in today...will see. I got the other GS430 back after they fix the front dash...now the back dash is making noise. Just drop it off this morning and they gave me a loaner.
Old 01-08-09, 01:48 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, there is a national back order parts for the dash rattles, but only if your car is diagnose with that problem, thank god mine was fixed without needing that part
Old 01-08-09, 02:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
yes, there is a national back order parts for the dash rattles, but only if your car is diagnose with that problem, thank god mine was fixed without needing that part

what rattle did you have?
Old 01-08-09, 02:54 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

dash, center nav, 2 doors rattles

however, the guy must be deaf and only heard the dash one.. so they fixed that under TSIB

the rest are minor.. so i guess i can live with it
Old 01-08-09, 03:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dash, center nav, 2 doors rattles

however, the guy must be deaf and only heard the dash one.. so they fixed that under TSIB

the rest are minor.. so i guess i can live with it
you mean windshield tick?

i don't recall a TSB for the dashboard.

you let them disassemble your dash?
Old 01-08-09, 03:44 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

it's the infamous Styrofoam noise from the bottom of the windshield against the dash, it was so loud that it sounds like my passenger is rubbing 2 Styrofoam together next to me

the advisor was the one that told me there was a TSIB for the specific type of squeaks that I had so they replaced a few clips.

they put it back perfectly, so no complaints there, also got new dustless pads and 15k svc and new venture film clear bra put on. All was good until i was rear ended last week ...sigh

sorry, back to topic
Old 01-09-09, 09:23 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

my dash rattled really bad and my brakes squeak bad as well. i got the dash board fixed and now i have to go back in again because i am hearing a different clicking noise. squeaking brakes i am on there waiting list :/
Old 01-25-09, 01:01 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's the infamous Styrofoam noise from the bottom of the windshield against the dash, it was so loud that it sounds like my passenger is rubbing 2 Styrofoam together next to me

the advisor was the one that told me there was a TSIB for the specific type of squeaks that I had so they replaced a few clips.

they put it back perfectly, so no complaints there, also got new dustless pads and 15k svc and new venture film clear bra put on. All was good until i was rear ended last week ...sigh

sorry, back to topic
I have similar squeaking in my dashboard (windshield/dash?). It's usually more pronounced on rough roads and cold temperatures (it's been -15 to -20C the past few days).

Back in September (when temperatures were more mild), my dash was making more clicking-type sounds. I brought it into the dealership and they kept it for a couple of days. Their notes say: "RE-RE front dash panel. Adjusted. Installed insulation secured to reduce/eliminate noise as per TSB. " (It also said this for my squeaking door panels.)

When I voiced my concerns again with my service manager back in December, he looked at my history and noted that a "fix" was already done. I told him that after they "fixed" the noise back in September, it was still making noise on the drive home from the dealership. Since I was busy, I didn't have time to come back until December. He said it was a "temperature-related issue" (talk about stating the obvious) and that if he fixed it then and when the weather gets warmer the noise comes back, they would not fix it again under warranty. Is this legit? The way I see it, it's a design defect (through no fault of the dealership) but it's their responsibility (and they will undoubtedly get compensated by Lexus head office) to stand behind the products they sell.

Anyway, I guess my questions are this:

If I get it fixed when it's cold outside (the service manager said they'd most likely place felt around the clips or something to that effect), when it gets warm (e.g. summer), will it cause another type of sound like he suggested (like a squeaking)? Should I not be concerned about this? Is what the manager said about not fixing it again if it's a "temperature-related issue" true? Should I just try another dealership?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated. (This is my first car purchased new and with a manufacturer's warranty. ) Thanks!
Old 01-25-09, 07:30 PM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

My GS is only a little over a month old. I have found clacky noises OCCASSIONALLY along the front left panel where the door hinges meet the dash. So I don't know if its down in the front of the door, or along the furthest left edge of the dash, or both. And it doesn't make the clacky noise all of the time. In fact, its rare, but it does happen. I can't tie it to temperature, or bumpy roads, etc. It just starts. I will have service look at it next time its in, but if I can't reproduce it at that time, I doubt they can do much except look.

I also notice some sounds of maybe a loose screw around a speaker mount. Again, not frequent, but sometimes I notice it.

I hope I can quiet all of the lose things . . . .
Old 01-25-09, 08:31 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Got mine back this friday...so far NO RATTLES and im happy with the repairs. I know a lot of you guys don't want the dealers to tear the dash apart but let me tell you...Park Place Lexus did an excellent job of putting everything back. My car is so quiet and the ride is smooth...this is how a Lexus should be !!!

Quick Reply: Squeaks and dash noise