GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My GS is not low enough! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 04:32 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You car has a nice drop and I believe you have a body kit too. If you go much lower it might have problems going in certain areas, especially if you are is daily driven.

My car is on Tanabe pro 5 and I can go a lot lower but its a pain to even get out of my slopped driveway and some places with dips.

Last edited by TriniGS; 01-14-09 at 04:37 PM. Reason: a
Old 01-14-09, 05:15 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniGS
You car has a nice drop and I believe you have a body kit too. If you go much lower it might have problems going in certain areas, especially if you are is daily driven.

My car is on Tanabe pro 5 and I can go a lot lower but its a pain to even get out of my slopped driveway and some places with dips.

How many more inches could you lower?
Old 01-14-09, 11:46 PM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
Any pictures?
Here you go... Sorry the pics aren't the best. There's still a lot of room on the coil to go lower too.

Old 01-14-09, 11:57 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSracerRY
Here you go... Sorry the pics aren't the best. There's still a lot of room on the coil to go lower too.

Wow..........I love your car
Old 01-15-09, 12:01 AM
chrispy
Forum Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Go with a coilover that has an adjustable shock body like JIC, HKS, Megan, etc. Tein is garbage IMO. Terrible design that gives you very little suspension travel when you slam it.

BTW, if you want to go lower, go with something else and don't listen to other people. A few millimeters is the difference between lowered and slammed. Setting up a great stance for your car is something often overlooked.
Old 01-15-09, 04:37 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the wheels are too small to go any lower. IMO it looks too low already. I don't really like the low-rider look for luxury cars.
Old 01-15-09, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Go with a coilover that has an adjustable shock body like JIC, HKS, Megan, etc. Tein is garbage IMO. Terrible design that gives you very little suspension travel when you slam it.

BTW, if you want to go lower, go with something else and don't listen to other people. A few millimeters is the difference between lowered and slammed. Setting up a great stance for your car is something often overlooked.
but at the same time though, with a coilover that you can adjust shock body, problem is if you maintain suspension travel and lower the car a lot, when you hit dips, the travel itself can easily bottom out your car. had my share of problems with tein flex which had that feature

with tein ss or cst, when you lower the car, travel is less, but it helps protects the car. i guess that's partially why my gs is low but i hardly bottom out or rub?
Old 01-15-09, 11:49 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
but at the same time though, with a coilover that you can adjust shock body, problem is if you maintain suspension travel and lower the car a lot, when you hit dips, the travel itself can easily bottom out your car. had my share of problems with tein flex which had that feature

with tein ss or cst, when you lower the car, travel is less, but it helps protects the car. i guess that's partially why my gs is low but i hardly bottom out or rub?
Hmmm.......good point. I was wondering why I havent bottom'd out yet
Old 01-15-09, 12:38 PM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

I sill say to try the JIC's. I have an older set of Tein's on my 2gen and the ride between the two is night and day. Even though my 3gen is still on stock wheels and tires, there's no comparison between the two. But if your really ballin, you can always get the Roberuto...then you'll have the best of both worlds!!!
Old 01-15-09, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
Hmmm.......good point. I was wondering why I havent bottom'd out yet
well, could be the reason, coz' your travel is much smaller now and it gets quite a bit stiffer than stock (or original height)

i still remember back in the 2gs days, someone with a gs400 got the tein flex, lowered the car a lot, but mainly by adjusting the shock body. the end result was he was bottoming out the whole car very often, denting the under body at various places. he ended up going to the shop, adjusted the shock body again, and lowered the car by reducing suspension travel. and he didn't rub again

i would also agree jic coilovers are much more performance oriented, actually they have always been. and i believe the spring rate on jic is pretty high? can't remember exactly.
Old 01-16-09, 01:48 PM
GSracerRY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well, could be the reason, coz' your travel is much smaller now and it gets quite a bit stiffer than stock (or original height)

i still remember back in the 2gs days, someone with a gs400 got the tein flex, lowered the car a lot, but mainly by adjusting the shock body. the end result was he was bottoming out the whole car very often, denting the under body at various places. he ended up going to the shop, adjusted the shock body again, and lowered the car by reducing suspension travel. and he didn't rub again

i would also agree jic coilovers are much more performance oriented, actually they have always been. and i believe the spring rate on jic is pretty high? can't remember exactly.
I think you're right. I'm pretty sure the spring rates for my coils are 13kg in the front and 8kg in the rear. Don't hold me to this though...
Old 01-18-09, 10:58 AM
Evel
Driver

St Vincent,

Nice looking whip. I see you are in the DMV area too & have an AWD GS like me ('06). Did you go with a simple spring change out or adjustable coil overs? Who performed the installation for you. I'm based near Pohanka Lexus (Chantilly) & the said they'd install whatever I wanted, but could not pin down a price.
Old 01-18-09, 11:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The car looks good as is. If it's driven regularlt, why would you want to go lower anyway? It's harder to drive a car in real daily traffic when it dumped.
Old 01-18-09, 11:24 AM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know why im in this part of the forum...
i think your car looks great as is.
if you must go lower have you thought about a youzealand ss kit?
looking at the youzealand website there is a application for your car.
it lowers your car more but retains the ride from what i read.
http://www.youzealand.net/LEXUS/lexus.html
Old 01-18-09, 12:16 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Evel
St Vincent,

Nice looking whip. I see you are in the DMV area too & have an AWD GS like me ('06). Did you go with a simple spring change out or adjustable coil overs? Who performed the installation for you. I'm based near Pohanka Lexus (Chantilly) & the said they'd install whatever I wanted, but could not pin down a price.
pmed u..

don't know how u guys manage to drive on the street, speed bump, etc..

Quick Reply: My GS is not low enough! HELP!