GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 04:14 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had these road magnet springs installed last night, i'm currently running on stock 17s on my 08 GS. The vibration is definitely there when you're in gear and the car is stopped. Other than that, it rides just fine. Of course you feel the bumps more than the stock springs (given).

gs350on22s - when the road magnets were installed, did you hear any noise from the springs themselves (settling in or anything of the sort)? I'm hearing some kind of creaking/flapping sound on some bumps, but not all. I don't know if it's just the springs settling or if the shop I went to f%#ked something up o.O
Old 03-05-09, 04:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ do you know if the springs had rubber silencers on them or plastic to wrap around them? This is more then likely the noise. Go over to the 2ISx50 section and under the suspension section there is a thread about the F sport springs/clunk noise. There is stuff that talks about this stuff if your springs did not come with you can easily install if need be.
Old 03-05-09, 05:31 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

retro i didn't have the springs installed but i need to call keith tomorrow to see when i can go there so they can work on my car. let me tell you that vibration you are getting in gear is happening to me on stock springs as well but as the car gets warmer the vibration drops. i believe it has to do something with the cold weather because i never had that idle vibration when i put my teins on.
besides that how much of a drop did you get 1.7 ? how is the ride on the highway is it smooth no high speed vibrations, and bouncing?
Old 03-05-09, 05:37 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ do you know if the springs had rubber silencers on them or plastic to wrap around them?
nope, they don't come with it.

*retrospexo* post a pic if you can.. i was wondering how the front drop looks like.
Old 03-05-09, 05:46 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i don't understand when you place the spring in the shock you have to align the bottom part of the spring with the rubber and then you have a rubber cap to screw on the top. what rubber piece are you talking about the one that goes around the spring itself ??

ahh i see what your talking about. i think the clunk noise that you are hearing is when you hit a dip or something on the street and the spring compresses it might be touching itself. maybe thats what the noise is hummm i need to tell him to put a plastic piece around my springs if i go there hah=)

Last edited by gs350on22s; 03-05-09 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 07:47 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stvincent
*retrospexo* post a pic if you can.. i was wondering how the front drop looks like.
If the rain doesn't fall tomorrow I'll put up a pic then, or I'll just do it on saturday. I must say, I do enjoy the look, VERY much It's the perfect drop for exactly what I had in mind.

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
besides that how much of a drop did you get 1.7 ? how is the ride on the highway is it smooth no high speed vibrations, and bouncing?
The highway ride is smooth, no vibrations either. And I haven't encountered any bouncing at all. When you do hit bumps, the impact is much more noticeable, almost offensive lol. Of course after riding on those cushy stocks for so long it kind of spoils you Do keep in mind that I've only had the springs on for just over a day, if it keeps up after a week or so then I know I'm good.

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
ahh i see what your talking about. i think the clunk noise that you are hearing is when you hit a dip or something on the street and the spring compresses it might be touching itself. maybe thats what the noise is hummm i need to tell him to put a plastic piece around my springs if i go there hah=)
If this noise keeps up, how do you suggest I remedy the situation? What is this plastic piece you're referring to?

Last edited by retrospexo; 03-05-09 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-05-09, 11:39 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i had the tein springs and they have this plastic or rubber piece that goes around the spring itself a little bit. call road magnet up and tell them.
Old 03-06-09, 04:05 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, sounds to me like I will be sticking with the factory springs. With my 35 series tires I can honestly say the car rides almost as smooth as it does with 17" factories.
Old 03-06-09, 08:27 AM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i cant stand the factory springs, i have to change them asap.
it shouldn't be a problem for them to wrap plastic around a piece of the spring.
Old 03-06-09, 09:01 AM
tsavo
Pole Position

From what I've gathered from this thread and others, there is always going to be vibration issues. These springs are no different, and I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality of my car and have vibration issues to drop it 1".

I've posted several pics of my car, and I don't notice any excessive gap with my 20s on.
Old 03-06-09, 12:43 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tsavo
From what I've gathered from this thread and others, there is always going to be vibration issues. These springs are no different, and I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality of my car and have vibration issues to drop it 1".

I've posted several pics of my car, and I don't notice any excessive gap with my 20s on.
I do not have any vibration issues related to the lowering of my car.
Old 03-06-09, 01:23 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nardeezy
I do not have any vibration issues related to the lowering of my car.
That's irrelevant to me when the other 49 out 50 people do.
Old 03-06-09, 03:03 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i have a feeling that i have something up with either my tires or my wheels. i spoke to my boy at the shop he said he said lexus wheels on the trailer, so i am gonna swap them and see how the ride is. as of now i don't know weather i am thinking to much about the vibrations on my stocks that i think i feel it. what i think i am feeling is the engine when it accelerates. i dunno it got me bugging out lol.
i guess that if you look for something you will find it lol.
Old 03-06-09, 05:01 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tsavo
That's irrelevant to me when the other 49 out 50 people do.
List them?

The vibrations that most people are experiencing are probably vibrations that existed prior to lowering their cars. They are just noticing it more now because their car is lowered. I am a person that is very attention to detail and I am certain that my car had the exact same minor vibration issues prior to lowering. Most of my vibration issues are due to wheel/tire balancing on the iForged wheels.

By the way, lookup feedback from SGT and 4thone. Those are old school guys who don't even blog on here anymore. I was the first GS AWD owner to lower my car on this forum and they followed thereafter and never had issues of vibration.
Old 03-06-09, 08:23 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nardeezy

The vibrations that most people are experiencing are probably vibrations that existed prior to lowering their cars. They are just noticing it more now because their car is lowered.
I would say it's the exact opposite. Most people are probably convinced the vibration they experience after lowering AWD was there before they had lowered their vehicle-but it probably wasn't. I have never noticed any vibration in my vehicle.

Do you really think Lexus would sell an AWD model that had noticeable vibration issues when idle and at 60-70mph (as you have claimed to experience before)?

Quick Reply: Road Magnet Spring / Made for the AWD GS