GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New mod: DVD headrest monitor/player

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 09:33 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

jr1966, a couple of questions for you:
1) where did you locate your TV tuner and a/v ports? in the trunk?
2) how close of a direct match was the leather (sometimes you can tell from the grain its the same leather but not from the same cow!)?
3) what's the contact name, address, email for your lexus dealer (for people who want to order this?)
4) how much did this whole package cost you (before and after installation)? You can PM me if you don't want to post this answer here.

Thx!
Old 01-21-09, 06:02 PM
jr1966
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
jr1966, a couple of questions for you:
1) where did you locate your TV tuner and a/v ports? in the trunk?
2) how close of a direct match was the leather (sometimes you can tell from the grain its the same leather but not from the same cow!)?
3) what's the contact name, address, email for your lexus dealer (for people who want to order this?)
4) how much did this whole package cost you (before and after installation)? You can PM me if you don't want to post this answer here.

Thx!
I'm more than happy to answer your questions.

1. I haven't tried to use the TV tuner yet nor do I have any idea how to make it work or how is it equipped and all I know is that it is one of the inputs when going through each input cycle, but as soon as I find out, I'll post here. As far as where the AV ports are, those are located behind one of those covers to the left or right of the control switches of the DVD player on the monitor. I'll take a pic later with those covers off. Actually, I'll take more pics while it's playing and post.

2. A 95%-99% match, if it's not a perfect match. But to my eyes, if there is that small percentage is off, it ain't detectable. These were actually special ordered to make sure they match the leather as what they had in stock was for the newer beige leather which the dealer said wouldn't match my car's leather. As far as how my Lexus dealer does it with Invision (the brand of the DVD player), I don't have any idea as my Lexus dealer is also a dealer for Invision, therefore, there must be some sort of connection between Invision and Toyota, so they must have the same sources of leather.

3. Please be reminded that I am located in Guam, therefore, it may not be accessible. However, it is possible that guys here in the forum can locate an Invision dealer in the US mainland. This is their website: http://www.invisionindustries.com

4. Original quoted price was $1,895 installed. PM sent.
Old 01-21-09, 06:12 PM
jr1966
Driver

BTW, if any of you guys can't locate any Invision dealer in the US mainland, let me know and I will talk to my dealer on how they can supply to forum members and if my dealer is willing to ship out.
Old 01-21-09, 06:24 PM
tripleJs15
Rookie

I noticed vizualogic makes a few different kits for the 3GS's, with color matched leather, prices seem pretty reasonable as well.
Old 01-21-09, 08:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

jr1966, thx for the information! it is much appreciated
Old 01-21-09, 08:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw them in person and wasnt that impressed with them. I think you are better to get them done custom and replace the headrest. Its not as good of a fit as it looks from the pic. I did a test fit with one when I had the remote starter done.
Old 01-21-09, 09:19 PM
jr1966
Driver

Originally Posted by tripleJs15
I noticed vizualogic makes a few different kits for the 3GS's, with color matched leather, prices seem pretty reasonable as well.
Originally Posted by passnu2
I saw them in person and wasnt that impressed with them. I think you are better to get them done custom and replace the headrest. Its not as good of a fit as it looks from the pic. I did a test fit with one when I had the remote starter done.
I've never seen the visualogic kits. But I think that if a person wants something that would be closer to perfect, the higher the price that has to be paid.

Before I purchased the Invision system, I thought of going cheap. Like the Audiovox unit found in Crutchfield for $599. It comes with 3 colors of headrest covers and, obviously, the beige leatherette wouldn't match my beige leather. I thought to myself that my car deserves better than this and if I plan to keep my car for another 3 to 4 years, I needed something that is of better quality rather than something that would be at home in a riced up Honda. Plus with the nice interior of the 3GS, something less would just plainly destroy the whole interior look. So, thinking of all of this, I think the price difference is well worth it considering that since I will be purchasing an extended warranty for the car for another 4 years, the DVD system is a part of it compared to the usual one year warranty.

Last edited by jr1966; 01-21-09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 02:20 PM
derfp2
Driver

What size r these...7" or the 8"? and is the picture quality good, also w/ movies that have the black bars can u zoom the image to make it disaper?? post more pics if u dont mind..like front vue and w/ image on and up close pics of the headrest its self...THANX if u dont mind :-)
Old 01-23-09, 08:58 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

looks great!
Old 01-23-09, 11:28 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Yea I have to agree your kids are very lucky.....
Old 01-24-09, 12:57 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is the best setup

these days, lexus and bmw are using those plastic tack-on screens that stick out and look ugly
Old 01-25-09, 12:40 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

built-in players for each one? that's nice ^^
Old 01-25-09, 08:43 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

tight set up.. great match with your leather, almost like factory made..
Old 01-26-09, 09:48 PM
jr1966
Driver

I'm posting more pics to answer some questions received thru PM or posted.

External Inputs behind those covers

Screen can be angled down for better viewing for kids or shorter people

Side profile

Front 3/4 profile

Yes, as each monitor has its own independent DVD player, these came with 2 wireless headsets and 2 remotes for individual viewing of each independent monitor while the driver can continue to listen to music.

I'll post more pics during playback as soon as I get the opportunity to do so.
Old 01-26-09, 10:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

jr1966, could you please post a pic where you load the dvd? thx

Quick Reply: New mod: DVD headrest monitor/player