GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DVD/Nav Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 09:27 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DVD/Nav Bypass

I know thes topic has been covered before. I just had the dealer install my XM and Vaistech piece. They would not do the bypass because its not legal for them to do so, one of the techs there gave me his number, but its hard to get in contact with him. I want to watch movies and enter data into the Nav as I am in motion, do you guys know of a shop will do it for me in Northern NJ. I know in girls RSX, we had the wire grounded out and we were able to control everything while in motion. Please help, I have already had this installed for 2 weeks and want to enjoy it while driving home from work. I am not confident enough to pull apart my unit and do it myself. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-09, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you can't just ground wires, you need to put switch in order to get everything right, but even so it's 30-40 seconds. you can get the override module from prestigious, more pricey but plug and play and no time limit. so it's a toss. if you want more info you can email them at chung@prestigioussociety.com
Old 01-20-09, 12:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ No time limit How did you get that to work??

They way I see it both void your warranty. You can have a local member help you do the Navi Hack or you can get this PNP kit and install your self if your up to it. Its a very easy install. Just did another one this past weekend for a local member.
Old 01-20-09, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
I know thes topic has been covered before. I just had the dealer install my XM and Vaistech piece. They would not do the bypass because its not legal for them to do so, one of the techs there gave me his number, but its hard to get in contact with him. I want to watch movies and enter data into the Nav as I am in motion, do you guys know of a shop will do it for me in Northern NJ. I know in girls RSX, we had the wire grounded out and we were able to control everything while in motion. Please help, I have already had this installed for 2 weeks and want to enjoy it while driving home from work. I am not confident enough to pull apart my unit and do it myself. Thanks in advance.

as rominl suggested, get the plug and play override kit from prestigious society. it's easy to do for any aftermarket car audio techs. and of course the dealer won't do the bypass, that would get them in so much hot water from lexus HQ, it's not funny.

and a disclaimer here, you should never operate your vehicle in an unsafe manner, including watching movies or making phone calls while in motion. i got the override kit for the front passenger to input the navi destination while in motion (to save time). always use common sense, and don't put yourself in a position where you can be blamed for liability if you get into an accident
Old 01-20-09, 01:46 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

id like to get the override kit however im not fond of voiding my warranty lol
Old 01-20-09, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have the PnP kit in my gs350 and there is no time limit. i can override the system for as long as i want (without shutting off the car of course).

cutting wires void your warranty right the way, that's for sure (and i have seen 2 is350 in that category). but with the PnP kit, the beauty is that if anything happens to your nav or radio, just take the kit out and go back for warranty work, plain and simple. there is no wire cutting so it's all factory. plus the PnP is a completely passive system, knowing how the module works, i can't see how the module itself can cause major problems to the nav
Old 01-20-09, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
id like to get the override kit however im not fond of voiding my warranty lol
actually not really. as i just posted, if you take it out, everything is just back to factory form

actually i already know of one guy who came this close from removing his unit to go in for warranty work. that's the beauty of it
Old 01-20-09, 02:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i have the PnP kit in my gs350 and there is no time limit. i can override the system for as long as i want (without shutting off the car of course).

are you referring to the DVD while in motion or entering of destination. The DVD works as long as you dont turn the car off. I have the same kit but the input while in motion times it self out. If yours doesnt do this I would like to know what you have done to prevent this?? This is an issue with all the Lexus models to my knowledge 07 models and forward.
Old 01-20-09, 03:21 PM
GGenovese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plug and Play all the way baby. I am the guy who came close to removing his unit for warranty work. Its well worth the extra bucks. I just sent you a PM
Old 01-20-09, 04:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
are you referring to the DVD while in motion or entering of destination. The DVD works as long as you dont turn the car off. I have the same kit but the input while in motion times it self out. If yours doesnt do this I would like to know what you have done to prevent this?? This is an issue with all the Lexus models to my knowledge 07 models and forward.
no the dvd is always unlimited time, but i was referring to the navi override. you can set it in two modes. did you get it from prestigious? send them email for more info.

the problem on 07+ (actually 06+) is problem on units that aren't from prestigious as far as i know
Old 01-20-09, 04:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I have the same kit they sell but not from them, got it from a member here. So is there a switch on it that I missed? Installation was pretty straight forward.

Edit: I guess this kit could have come from anywhere unless they are the only supplier? I know its the same kit. I also thought I read a thread not to long ago where you posted that it was getting ~45 seconds? Both you and Flipside009? I will have to search for it and review it again. Basically mine is the same as it was with the wire hack in the IS350 where it gives only so much time, turn it off then back on to replenish the time, to enter the destination.
Old 01-20-09, 04:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

okay here is the thread, so I went back and you had posted that every car you tested got ~ 45 secs (last few posts in the thread). Then I see yours where you get ~ 5 min? Was that on the LS only or on your GS also? I am curious now. I am okay with it as is but if I can get more time its less work

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-works-18.html

Thank you!
Old 01-20-09, 05:32 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Rominl, how much is the piece that you ordered, the pnp one?
Old 01-20-09, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Hey Rominl, how much is the piece that you ordered, the pnp one?
iirc i think it was like 299 or so. don't even ask about the one i got for the ls460l. it was the first unit ever imported and i paid so much for it

yes it was 45 seconds but later on prestigious issued the fix. but seems like they are tight lip about it, probably to avoid some others from stealing the info for their benefit
Old 01-20-09, 07:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I see so anyone know what wires need to be changed? I dont see anything else that can be changed on it??

Quick Reply: DVD/Nav Bypass