GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 05:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just for the nicer interior alone, I would choose the GS.
Old 01-26-09, 08:40 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks everybody for your input. I am still thinking. I know one thing that after having 3 Mercedeses back to back I don't want another German car, primarily due to their un-reliability. I bought my wife a brand new RX350 a year ago. We both like it a lot, but to me it's too much of a woman's car. So, I am looking at either an IS or an GS.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-09, 03:25 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see if I can predict the responses: 95% of the posters on the IS thread said get a IS, and 95% on this thread said get a GS . . .

If I were you, jot down the pros/cons for each and add up the score to figure what fits best. Both are based on the same platform, have identical drivetrains (engine, trans, brakes) so you can't go wrong with either one. I own(ed) both, anything specific you wanna know ?
Old 01-26-09, 09:58 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by socalJD
Lets see if I can predict the responses: 95% of the posters on the IS thread said get a IS, and 95% on this thread said get a GS
Wrong. Believe it or not, but about half of the IS folks suggested the GS. I guess I convinced them that I am too old for the IS.

My question to you is, since you had owned both, which one did you like better, all thing considered?
Old 01-26-09, 10:18 PM
jr1966
Driver

Originally Posted by maying856
Are you calling me old........
Haha. I didn't say that.

A GS suits any age level depending on how it's set-up. Stock height & profile, it has a very formal executive look to it that is suitable for guys in their 40s to 50s who are into big business. Lowered with decent non-ricey spoilers/body kits and nice wheels, it would suit guys in their 20s to 30s as it has a very sporty profile.

Now, give a guy in his 40s-50s an IS (and compare it to a GS). Would the car suit his image better? Would it be more presentable to take his business clients around? Would the IS look better than the GS when going to formal events? And given that some guys in their 40s usually still have some kids around the household, a GS is a larger car.
Old 01-26-09, 10:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jr1966
Haha. I didn't say that.

A GS suits any age level depending on how it's set-up. Stock height & profile, it has a very formal executive look to it that is suitable for guys in their 40s to 50s who are into big business. Lowered with decent non-ricey spoilers/body kits and nice wheels, it would suit guys in their 20s to 30s as it has a very sporty profile.

Now, give a guy in his 40s-50s an IS (and compare it to a GS). Would the car suit his image better? Would it be more presentable to take his business clients around? Would the IS look better than the GS when going to formal events? And given that some guys in their 40s usually still have some kids around the household, a GS is a larger car.

i agree with your assessment. i was looking to get the IS 350, but my wife reminded me you're not a young guy anymore, go with something that suits your age bracket! so i ended up getting the 450h. no regrets.
Old 01-27-09, 12:34 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Wrong. Believe it or not, but about half of the IS folks suggested the GS. I guess I convinced them that I am too old for the IS.

My question to you is, since you had owned both, which one did you like better, all thing considered?
Age shouldn't matter, I recall many 45+ owners on the IS forum, a Lexus enthusiast is still an enthusiast regardless of biological mileage. When I bought the IS350, the GS didn't have the 2GR-FSE engine (it was the GS300) and I wasn't certain that the GS350 would be out by Oct. The IS350 was a high demand car back then, and I was happy to get it equipped the way I wanted under sticker. I have 2 kids in booster seats, so it was a perfect fit for my daily commute/weekend Daddy errands. Then my daughter was born, so overnite the IS became obsolete. The GS was a logical upgrade, it had all the things I liked about my IS (smartkey, ML/navi, memory seats/steering wheel, 2GR-FSE engine), with similar performance and more cabin space. In retrospect, if I knew that the GS350 would be out in Oct 06, I could've held out until then, but I got a decent trade in on the IS and a great deal on the GS so it all worked out in the end. I leased the GS and given the current economy, it looks like the right decision.

BTW, since you're a current MB owner, why not look into a E class lease. MB must be hurting for sales, and typically have great lease rates compared to Lexus, so I'll bet you can get into a E class for the same pmt as a GS350. If I was in the market, I'd be very tempted to pick off a E550 or E63 lease given the current economic slowdown and dismal car sales at dealers. A E63 would be the only car that would make me switch from the GS
Old 01-27-09, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

though i can also say leasing e63 would still be a lot more expensive than leasing a gs350

but yes, if lease, i say maybe look at 5 series too. with all maintenance included, that can be a good deal
Old 01-27-09, 01:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Age shouldn't matter, I recall many 45+ owners on the IS forum, a Lexus enthusiast is still an enthusiast regardless of biological mileage. When I bought the IS350, the GS didn't have the 2GR-FSE engine (it was the GS300) and I wasn't certain that the GS350 would be out by Oct. The IS350 was a high demand car back then, and I was happy to get it equipped the way I wanted under sticker. I have 2 kids in booster seats, so it was a perfect fit for my daily commute/weekend Daddy errands. Then my daughter was born, so overnite the IS became obsolete. The GS was a logical upgrade, it had all the things I liked about my IS (smartkey, ML/navi, memory seats/steering wheel, 2GR-FSE engine), with similar performance and more cabin space. In retrospect, if I knew that the GS350 would be out in Oct 06, I could've held out until then, but I got a decent trade in on the IS and a great deal on the GS so it all worked out in the end. I leased the GS and given the current economy, it looks like the right decision.
i agree, age shouldn't matter. i mean, we see old farts driving expensive ferraris, lambo, porsches, etc. all the time. but on the other hand, we live in a society where perception is deemed important. a successful middle aged man (or woman) should be driving a vehicle that matches his/her social status. that's what society tells us. is that right? no, we should be able to choose what we want, not what societal norms dictate. but to go against the norms, you will face direct & indirect pressure to conform (eg: you are a senior VP, are you really going to pick up your most important client - whom you want to impress in order to retain his account with your firm - at the airport in an IS 350, or a LS 600?).
Old 01-27-09, 03:10 PM
arnieosp
Racer

BTW, since you're a current MB owner, why not look into a E class lease.
First of all, thank you for your informative responce. I am the current MBZ owner, and that it exactly why no more Benzes for me. I am tired of dealing with quality problems. Granted, the post-2006 MBZs are far better then the earlier ones, but still, I want a reliable luxury transpontation, and not an automotive adveture.

As far as leasing, I tend to pay cash for cars and then keep them for a long time. I found a quite a few of 07-08 GS350s with under 20K miles for $32-38K. I am very picky on what I want. I want White w/tan enterior and it must have Navi, and an ML stereo. I am not desperate to have the car today, so I will take my time to find what I want.
Old 01-27-09, 04:42 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i agree, age shouldn't matter. i mean, we see old farts driving expensive ferraris, lambo, porsches, etc. all the time. but on the other hand, we live in a society where perception is deemed important. a successful middle aged man (or woman) should be driving a vehicle that matches his/her social status. that's what society tells us. is that right? no, we should be able to choose what we want, not what societal norms dictate. but to go against the norms, you will face direct & indirect pressure to conform (eg: you are a senior VP, are you really going to pick up your most important client - whom you want to impress in order to retain his account with your firm - at the airport in an IS 350, or a LS 600?).
Point taken. Btw, I'd send my most attractive female employee to pick up the VIP client from the airport, dressed in proper business attire - and if I were the VIP client, I wouldn't be impressed with a LS600h (senselessly overrated), but I would be with a S65 - in fact I'd insist on driving . . .
Old 01-27-09, 06:02 PM
DDGS350
Driver School Candidate

Arnieosp,
I believed you are in the situation I was in 22 days ago, I mean " Yes, 22 days ago". I always liked the look of the IS350 and every time I saw it I told myself I have to have the car soon....... I used to have Mercedes, Infiniti, Volvo, they are all nice vehicles but again when I saw the IS350 I wanted it badly.
Let's make the long story short. Due to the economy we have now, I figured it's a great time to go to purchase the car, you can get the car for great price. Finally, I bought the IS350 loaded. I didn't test drive the car or anything, just walked in and bought it because I loved it (big mistake). I was so excited then the next day ordered the Ground Effects online as well...... (another big mistake). I never had a sport car or sport sedan before so I didn't know how hash the ride was..... I had the IS350 for 22 days and couldn't handle the ride anymore (small and pouncing constantly). I thought I could have a great time the IS, but everyday I came home from work with a SAD face, my wife asked me to see if anything is wrong. Of course, I couldn't tell her because of the car, you know? Damm me. Oh, I am 36 and I thought I was 25.
I traded the IS in for the GS350 yesterday and this should be the way from the beginning. My wife has been laughing at me everytime she walked by me, you know, she covered her mouth everytime she see me around the house. The worse part of all is I still have the Ground Effects boxes untouch in the living room.
I love the GS alot, roomier, similar power as the IS and of course for the right ages (35-55 and older) in my opinions. You'll love it, according to your previous vehicles. You will.
Old 01-27-09, 10:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by DDGS350
Arnieosp,
I believed you are in the situation I was in 22 days ago, I mean " Yes, 22 days ago". I always liked the look of the IS350 and every time I saw it I told myself I have to have the car soon....... I used to have Mercedes, Infiniti, Volvo, they are all nice vehicles but again when I saw the IS350 I wanted it badly.
Let's make the long story short. Due to the economy we have now, I figured it's a great time to go to purchase the car, you can get the car for great price. Finally, I bought the IS350 loaded. I didn't test drive the car or anything, just walked in and bought it because I loved it (big mistake). I was so excited then the next day ordered the Ground Effects online as well...... (another big mistake). I never had a sport car or sport sedan before so I didn't know how hash the ride was..... I had the IS350 for 22 days and couldn't handle the ride anymore (small and pouncing constantly). I thought I could have a great time the IS, but everyday I came home from work with a SAD face, my wife asked me to see if anything is wrong. Of course, I couldn't tell her because of the car, you know? Damm me. Oh, I am 36 and I thought I was 25.
I traded the IS in for the GS350 yesterday and this should be the way from the beginning. My wife has been laughing at me everytime she walked by me, you know, she covered her mouth everytime she see me around the house. The worse part of all is I still have the Ground Effects boxes untouch in the living room.
I love the GS alot, roomier, similar power as the IS and of course for the right ages (35-55 and older) in my opinions. You'll love it, according to your previous vehicles. You will.
your candid reply is appreciated. in the end, you got a car that you are happy with, and that is all that matters.
Old 01-27-09, 10:56 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Thank you, DDGS350!

At this point I am pretty much sold on the GS350. DDGS350, I feel your pain! I made a similar mistake about 15 years ago when I wanted an Acura Legend badly. I bought it, and then for the next 2 years I wanted a Mercedes.

Here is my next question: What do you, guys, know about AWD? I know that the Consumer Reports removed the GS AWD from their "recommended" list, because of the AWD problems. I do not consider the CR to be the Bible, but still....

Any GS350 AWD owners there?
Old 01-28-09, 11:15 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Thank you, DDGS350!

At this point I am pretty much sold on the GS350. DDGS350, I feel your pain! I made a similar mistake about 15 years ago when I wanted an Acura Legend badly. I bought it, and then for the next 2 years I wanted a Mercedes.

Here is my next question: What do you, guys, know about AWD? I know that the Consumer Reports removed the GS AWD from their "recommended" list, because of the AWD problems. I do not consider the CR to be the Bible, but still....

Any GS350 AWD owners there?
are you planning on modding your GS? if you are looking to lower your GS, then AWD GS would be a bad choice as there are vibration reports from various members who lowered their AWD. and coilovers do not fit the AWD. if you want to lower your GS, RWD would be the platform you want.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs IS350