GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 12:13 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Thank you, DDGS350!

At this point I am pretty much sold on the GS350. DDGS350, I feel your pain! I made a similar mistake about 15 years ago when I wanted an Acura Legend badly. I bought it, and then for the next 2 years I wanted a Mercedes.

Here is my next question: What do you, guys, know about AWD? I know that the Consumer Reports removed the GS AWD from their "recommended" list, because of the AWD problems. I do not consider the CR to be the Bible, but still....

Any GS350 AWD owners there?
^^well said socal and stormforge. you live in oregon and i'm right here in wa. i own a black '07 gs350awd and love it minus the rattles and ridiculous wheel gap(most rattles can be fixed and i will get springs once available). our climate is for the most part is the same(rain, snow and some sun)....plus that's all that was available here in wa. i'm also 45 married w/3 kids in real estate so it fits my needs for capacity and business. do you have kids? remember age is just a number...it's how you feel inside. don't worry about what others think...do you like/want this ride? go with your gut. good luck on your decision(i think you've made oyur mind up already. post pics when you get your ride.
Old 01-28-09, 03:38 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is what I found:

2008 GS350 AWD white/tan (my favorite colors) w/everything in it, including the Navi, ML sound, XM radio, whole nine yards. It is a demo, was driven by dealer's wife. It has 5K miles and the warranty started in November of 08. The MSRP is $52,220. On top of that they put a clearbra ($750) and some goofy chrome wheels($1650). I love the clearbra but I don't want the crome rims.

I did over-the-phone negotiations, which dealers hate. They started at $46,743. I countered, we went back and forth. My last offer was $42,000 and theirs is $44,544. What do you, guys think?
Old 01-28-09, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

44.5k? tell them to go take a hike. a car with 5k miles, i can care less if it's demo or what not, it's s USED car in my mind. i wouldn't pay more than 42k for the car (even 42k i am thinking it's too high)
Old 01-28-09, 04:36 PM
arnieosp
Racer

I kind of feel the same way. Unfortunately for me, there is only 1 Lexus dealer around here. Unfortunatly for them, I am not desperate to buy the car now. I would for $42k, though.
Old 01-28-09, 07:07 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look at a used LS actually. The 2IS is way too small for me as well and although I like the 3GS, it's kind of half-assed sporty (handling, not power). Plus if you say the 2IS is too sporty for ya, it wouldn't hurt to look at the LS.
Old 01-28-09, 07:16 PM
arnieosp
Racer

I did. I can't afford the 07+ yet, and the older ones look to me like you have to be at least 75 to drive one.
Old 01-28-09, 07:32 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

THE GS has a totally different purpose than the IS. It is a nice looking car with great luxury and very decent power in the V6. Well put together...but the styling is somewhat bland IMO...and will get dated quickly.
but non the less it is a great car, great features and nice and roomy.

The IS is a sport model for the purpose of thos who want a sport oriented vehicle..hence those who want the car for that reason...and really arent interested in how much room is in the back seat.
the IS is a dime a dozen - If you are refering to the IS250...the 350 on the other hand is not a dime a dozen at all----it is a rare find on the streets and roads of NYC and surrounding areas - the 250 yes is on every corner.

its a sporty looking car with the luxury features of a 350 and basically non of the performance.

Looking at the cars GS350 and IS350 for a basic comparison is not really feasable---as if you are looking for only Speed, sport, lexus quality- the 350 is the way to go-
if you want lexus quality, good power, and room and luxury the GS350 is the way to go

the cars are not built with the same crowd in mind as buyers.
What ever you do DONT buy Infiniti-they are cheaper for a reason...dont hold value for crap...and YES you will get to know your service dept well. POS in my opinion -from direct experience (check my sig)
Old 01-28-09, 08:03 PM
DDGS350
Driver School Candidate

Sorry Arniesop,
I wish I could give you some feedbacks on the AWD. I never liked to test drive anything when I decided to get it (bad practice)..... However, if you live in an extreme weather area, it's good and +++good to have the AWD, the car won't scare you. To know more the consumer complaints about Lexus, please read this site http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/lexus.html
I hope it will help you.

David H.
Old 01-28-09, 08:35 PM
arnieosp
Racer

David H! did you read any of those complaints yourself? I laughed my a$$ off reading them. Some of the complainants are just plain retards! One guy complains because a chipmunk ate his wiring harness, another one crashed because the "poorly designed floormat" got stuck under the brake pedal.

Anyway, I read some of them and did not see any on a GS350 AWD. Folks, you you have nothing to do, go to th website from David H reply and read that crap. I am surprised that those people even allowed to drive. And the scarry thing is that they probably vote too.
Old 01-29-09, 01:46 PM
DDGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
David H! did you read any of those complaints yourself? I laughed my a$$ off reading them. Some of the complainants are just plain retards! One guy complains because a chipmunk ate his wiring harness, another one crashed because the "poorly designed floormat" got stuck under the brake pedal.

Anyway, I read some of them and did not see any on a GS350 AWD. Folks, you you have nothing to do, go to th website from David H reply and read that crap. I am surprised that those people even allowed to drive. And the scarry thing is that they probably vote too.
Hahaha.... Yes, indeed I read some. We (Americans) complaint on anything we paid for... And oh yeah, we voted for the one we could never get.
Old 01-29-09, 02:02 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Done! I've got a 2008 GS350 AWD demo with 5085 miles, white/cashmere, Navi, ML sound, ventilated seats, wood steering wheel, rear spoiler, illuminated door sills, cargo net, trunk mat, wheel locks, XM radio, clear bra, out the door for $42K.
Old 01-29-09, 02:08 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Hate to break the news, but Lexus has $5k cash back on all new '08 GS350x left in stock. Had I seen this thread sooner, I would've told you to push for $40k . . .
Old 01-29-09, 02:26 PM
arnieosp
Racer

I knew about it. The MSRP on my car was $52,220, the invoice was $45,821, according to Edmunds (dealer insisted it was $46,654) So, without the $5K rebate it was $40,821. Plus they istalled the clear bra on it (must have on the soft Lexus paint) for whish they ormally charge $950, and they threw in the Lexus all-season floormats, another $100 or so. All said and done they probably still made couple hundred bucks.

Unfortunately for me, they ar th only Lexus dealer around. This is not the Southern California, where there is a Lexus dealer on every other block.

The bottom line is that I got the car for over $10K of the sticker, and even though it has 5K miles, I will be the first registered owner. So, all things considered, while it was not a steal, I think I did ok.
Old 01-29-09, 02:39 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ As long as you did your DD and made an informed decision, you did fine. I find that convenience and time-saving to be worth more than a few hundred bucks.

I believe your GS was white (starfire pearl ?) and has a clearbra - inspect the clear bra closely for yellowing. I have a clearbra on opaline pearl, and my clearbra started to yellow after 6 mos, very easy to see on white colors, not so noticeable on dark colors. This is the only regret I have for getting a clearbra on a white car . . .
Old 01-29-09, 02:51 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Mine is still good, and it's been there for about 6 months. And I would rather have the yellowing clearbra then nice black or gray rockchips anyway. So, don't regret it, you did the right thing.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs IS350