GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:51 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
First of all, thank you for your informative responce. I am the current MBZ owner, and that it exactly why no more Benzes for me. I am tired of dealing with quality problems. Granted, the post-2006 MBZs are far better then the earlier ones, but still, I want a reliable luxury transpontation, and not an automotive adveture.

As far as leasing, I tend to pay cash for cars and then keep them for a long time. I found a quite a few of 07-08 GS350s with under 20K miles for $32-38K. I am very picky on what I want. I want White w/tan enterior and it must have Navi, and an ML stereo. I am not desperate to have the car today, so I will take my time to find what I want.
Arnie,

Our situations could not be anymore similar. I went from a 2005 C55 to my '08 white/tan GS w/ ML. I know what you mean by the ownership being an adventure but be ready to deal with a whole new set of issues. While I love the GS, it rattles, squeaks and ticks like you wouldn't believe!! Check the dozens of other threads about this. I would switch back to MB in a second if I wouldn't have to take such a hit on my '08 GS. I put 30k+ miles on my C55 with that super stiff suspension on the horrible Chicago roads and that car never once did I hear a peep out of the car other than the amazing engine.

Now, I am not here to bash Lexus because like I said I love my GS but I want to make sure the original poster is aware of what he's getting in to with a new GS.

Is it reliable? Yes.
Is it pretty cheap to maintain? Yes
Does it have great features? Yes
Does it have a nice quiet ride? Absolutely not. Good luck getting Lexus to fix it too. Some have had luck but most are on their own little personal adventure trying to get the rattles and what not fixed.

Good luck in your search for a new car!
Old 01-30-09, 12:32 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, mine is dead silent so far, and it has 5K miles. It was a demo, the dealership owner's wife drove it for 4 months. I don't know if I got lucky, or they already took care of all thee bugs, but it's quiet.

My wife drives an 08 RX350. Same thing, I've read a lot of complaints of rattling. but I had none so far, and it's been a year and the RX now has 14K miles.

What options do you have on yours?
Old 01-30-09, 12:38 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Well, mine is dead silent so far, and it has 5K miles. It was a demo, the dealership owner's wife drove it for 4 months. I don't know if I got lucky, or they already took care of all thee bugs, but it's quiet.

My wife drives an 08 RX350. Same thing, I've read a lot of complaints of rattling. but I had none so far, and it's been a year and the RX now has 14K miles.

What options do you have on yours?
Exact same options as yours. Give it time, your GS will rattle and squeak. Seems to start happening at different times for all owners.
Old 01-30-09, 12:45 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine doesn't have the AFS and Rain-sensing wipers. I don't care much for the AFS, but I wish it did have the R-S wipers.
Old 01-30-09, 03:08 PM
Spartan452
Driver School Candidate

5000 cashback on 08 lexus GS? Where do you see that?

I want to trade in my IS for a GS and this could give me that extra boost I need, but I don't see it at my local dealers website...
Old 01-30-09, 04:24 PM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spartan452
5000 cashback on 08 lexus GS? Where do you see that?
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/lexu...77030&state=TX
Old 01-30-09, 04:48 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
Exact same options as yours. Give it time, your GS will rattle and squeak. Seems to start happening at different times for all owners.
Disagree, you need to re-read those posts, the majority of the reported 3GS rattles & squeaks seem to happen in cold-weather regions, regions with snow or very cold winters. I'm in So Cal and have had my GS for over a yr and I don't have these rattle & squeak issues (it rarely gets colder than 50F). Your ol' C55 may have had a rattle or 2, but you were probably mesmerized by the exhaust tone and the adrenaline rush of 400+ hp under your foot. . .
Old 01-30-09, 05:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there's no way the C-class didn't have rattles.

that thing was one of the worst built generations of C class.

and comparing benz,bmw,lexus.... lexus must have the most overall rattles. dunno why they can't get it right and tight.
Old 01-30-09, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
there's no way the C-class didn't have rattles.

that thing was one of the worst built generations of C class.

and comparing benz,bmw,lexus.... lexus must have the most overall rattles. dunno why they can't get it right and tight.
lexus must have the most overall rattles? where did that come from?

if anything the m3 already blows away my gs350 on rattles
Old 01-30-09, 05:52 PM
jr1966
Driver

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
I'm actually quite surprised to read about the squeaks & rattles. My car has been in service since Feb 2005, however with currently only a bit over 13k miles, I haven't heard a single squeak or rattle and I drive over some rough roads on an almost daily basis since I got the car several months ago. I'm crossing my fingers this issue doesn't appear in my car because I don't like squeaks and really hate rattles.
Old 01-30-09, 05:59 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Dude, read my post - it doesn't snow in Guam (tropical paradise) . . .
Old 02-06-09, 09:16 PM
sdposton
Driver School Candidate

Default Too old for a Lexus ID350?

You've got to be kidding me grampa! lol, 45 IS NOT OLD!! I'm 49 and drive a IS 350 and love it... BUY IT!
Old 02-07-09, 12:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus must have the most overall rattles? where did that come from?

if anything the m3 already blows away my gs350 on rattles
well that's just one car.

currently, almost the whole lexus lineup (2006 and up) is plagued with rattles.
ES IS GS RX. basically all the newest designs. Rattling is now a standard feature in the L-finesse design language.

Last edited by dunnojack; 02-07-09 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 12:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
well that's just one car.

currently, almost the whole lexus lineup (2006 and up) is plagued with rattles.
ES IS GS RX. basically all the newest designs. Rattling is now a standard feature in the L-finesse design language.
i don't deny some lexus has rattles (but definitely not ALL), but still you can't come close to the conclusion of lexus having most overall rattles. show me proofs and i can believe, otherwise, my experience and my friends' show otherwise
Old 02-07-09, 07:17 AM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socalJD
Disagree, you need to re-read those posts, the majority of the reported 3GS rattles & squeaks seem to happen in cold-weather regions, regions with snow or very cold winters. I'm in So Cal and have had my GS for over a yr and I don't have these rattle & squeak issues (it rarely gets colder than 50F). Your ol' C55 may have had a rattle or 2, but you were probably mesmerized by the exhaust tone and the adrenaline rush of 400+ hp under your foot. . .
(it rarely gets colder than 50F)?

Where in the heck part of SoCal do you live that is rarely gets colder then 50?
I haven't bought anything yet. I go back and forth between the GS350 rattles and the CTS vibrations or the 535 being a bit to $$$.

Last edited by jane12; 02-07-09 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs IS350