GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake Squeal Fixed For Now

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 10:48 AM
Strad6708
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal Fixed For Now

After over 5,000 miles of excruciating brake squeal from my 08 GS350 AWD, the problem has been resolved, at least temporarily. I have been calling my service advisor every week for months to see if the TSIB was out yet. A couple weeks ago, at the same time the posts on here seemed to indicate the TSIB was finally out, my service advisor indicated the TSIB was out and they were just waiting for parts. When I went in yesterday, he informed me that while they had been led by Lexus to believe this TSIB would be for the brake squeal, it actually turned out not to be. Rather, it is a TSIB for rear brake calipers not even applicable to my VIN number. My service advisor expressed his extreme frustration with Lexus, saying that he has seen over 1000 GS's with the problem and he can't believe Lexus hasn't resolved the problem. He offered to do what he could as a temporary fix despite there not being a true fix. In the end, they cleaned the brake pads and installed new brake shims (I don't even know what brake shims are), as well as applied anti squeal compound. Despite the frigid cold in Chicago, the brakes are squeal free for the time being. I am not holding my breath, though, as I expect to hear the squeal return everytime I apply the brakes.
Old 01-28-09, 03:11 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seems like everyone in the cold weather is getting that squeak. my gs awd squeaks like a little girl screaming. i am waiting on my dealership to receive the part.
Old 01-28-09, 09:56 PM
DDGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Strad6708
After over 5,000 miles of excruciating brake squeal from my 08 GS350 AWD, the problem has been resolved, at least temporarily. I have been calling my service advisor every week for months to see if the TSIB was out yet. A couple weeks ago, at the same time the posts on here seemed to indicate the TSIB was finally out, my service advisor indicated the TSIB was out and they were just waiting for parts. When I went in yesterday, he informed me that while they had been led by Lexus to believe this TSIB would be for the brake squeal, it actually turned out not to be. Rather, it is a TSIB for rear brake calipers not even applicable to my VIN number. My service advisor expressed his extreme frustration with Lexus, saying that he has seen over 1000 GS's with the problem and he can't believe Lexus hasn't resolved the problem. He offered to do what he could as a temporary fix despite there not being a true fix. In the end, they cleaned the brake pads and installed new brake shims (I don't even know what brake shims are), as well as applied anti squeal compound. Despite the frigid cold in Chicago, the brakes are squeal free for the time being. I am not holding my breath, though, as I expect to hear the squeal return everytime I apply the brakes.
Hi Strad6708,
What year is your car? Should I bring it in for them to inspect it? Which Lexus dealer did you go to? I live in Chicago as well and I go to Mcgrath on Division street. Do you mind if I can have the service advisor name and number since he awared of the issues.

Thank You.
Old 01-29-09, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Strad6708, thats certainly bad news. It almost seems like Lexus have gave up on the GS as far as rattles and brakes are concerned. These two problem must be costing them am arm and a leg so far.
Old 01-29-09, 07:49 AM
Strad6708
Rookie

DDGS, although I live in the city, I have my car serviced at Woodfield Lexus in Schaumburg around the corner from my office. My service advisor's name is Mike Evans. He indicated dealer service departments are not supposed to be attempting to resolve the brake squeal issue for customers. Lexus wants dealers to to wait until there is an official TSIB for the problem. My car is an 08 and apparently there are no TSIBs related to the brakes at all for 2008 models. I see you have an 07 and he told me there are some brake-related TSIBs for the 07s. I believe one of these may be for the rear brake calipers. He told me 134,000 vehicles are included in the 07 TSIBs. Perhaps you can call McGrath's service department and ask them to run your VIN to see if any of the TSIBs are applicable to your car. If not, but you are still experiencing brake issues, I'd very politely ask them to see if there is anything they can do to temporarily resolve your issue until an official fix is out. I think my politeness prompted my service advisor to agree to work on a temporary fix despite Lexus's mandate otherwise.
Old 01-29-09, 08:56 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

UPDATE: 2 days after the temporary fix, the brake squeal is back. I am SO disappointed in Lexus. This is unacceptable for such an expensive car.
Old 01-30-09, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that got to be the shortest fix in history, I would give your service manager and Lexus headquarter a call and give them an ear full. How can Lexus claim to pursuit excellence when they can’t even get a simple think like a disc brake system right
Old 01-30-09, 05:48 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the low dust pads replaced twice before I gave up waiting for Lexus to solve the problem and had these installed:

Old 01-30-09, 09:30 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Just go with Rotora BBK just like me and the problem will be solve in no time....haha ^^
Old 01-30-09, 01:38 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

I just got off the phone with Lexus Corporate and was informed there will be a TSIB out in February for the brake squeal issue. The representative I spoke with immediately knew of the issue to which I was referring. I imagine the representatives will be glad when this issue is resolved, as I am sure they do not enjoy taking thousands of calls about this issue.
Old 01-30-09, 02:45 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting b/c I had my GS in today for annual insp/emissions testing and inquired as well. Was told there will be a TSIB to come shortly but it's not a guarantee since they really don't have a 100% solution as it's a work in progress. Said it's just a temporary fix utilizing much much thicker shims. Oh BTW, the parts are already on a major backorder and they're not sure when they might come in but allocations will be tights...

Just passing along what my SA told me this AM
Old 02-02-09, 05:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KayGee
I had the low dust pads replaced twice before I gave up waiting for Lexus to solve the problem and had these installed:

Guys, just buy a set of these and hand it the Lexus service department, have them install it and call Lexus headquarter and tell them to fire the whole Lexus engineering staff that design the GS' brakes.
Old 02-02-09, 06:05 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Just got the service campaign 9LB
It states they will inspect and apply the correct amount of grease to the slide pin in the rear brake calipers. That is it. No mention of any hardware to be replaced. Take your car in and get it damaged for some grease

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iper-insp.html

Last edited by GS2006; 02-02-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 06:26 PM
LP07GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS2006
Just got the service campaign 9LB
It states they will inspect and apply the correct amount of grease to the slide pin in the rear brake calipers. That is it. No mention of any hardware to be replaced. Take your car in and get it damaged for some grease

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iper-insp.html

What dealer did you take your GS to here in Texas? Did you get any of the other TSB's done?
Old 02-02-09, 06:55 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LP07GS
What dealer did you take your GS to here in Texas? Did you get any of the other TSB's done?
Just got the Service Campaign from Lexus USA today. I have not received any notification on the others 9LA or 9LC. I need to check my VIN to see if those apply.
I’m located in the DFW area. I will not deal with PP Grapevine. I have had better luck with Sewell FW. Who do you take yours two?

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal Fixed For Now