GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

cell phone settings never saved

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 09:53 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cell phone settings never saved

Hey folks,
My 07 GS 350 has an extremely annoying issue with the bluetooth handsfree system. Basically, I have to set up my cell phone (i.e go through a bunch of menus) every time I start the car in order to use it. The car will remember the phone (i.e have it listed) for the duration of the time it is on, and a few minutes after it is turned off. However, once I lock the car and leave for a couple minutes...all cell phone related settings are lost. If I just turn it off and don't lock the car, the settings will be saved and the phone will automatically connect once the car is started again. Besides losing the settings, the car is 100% compatible with 2 phones I have tried (signal level, contacts, speed dials, etc). I went to the local dealer and they said they have never heard of such an issue...and basically gave me a lecture on how to link it. Obviously, after they set it up, settings were lost the next time I left the car. This is not battery related, as no other settings are lost, nor is the voltage low. The whole stereo system (no ML/NAV) works fine and has no issue with losing settings.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any thoughts?
Old 02-01-09, 11:24 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ivanz
Hey folks,
My 07 GS 350 has an extremely annoying issue with the bluetooth handsfree system. Basically, I have to set up my cell phone (i.e go through a bunch of menus) every time I start the car in order to use it. The car will remember the phone (i.e have it listed) for the duration of the time it is on, and a few minutes after it is turned off. However, once I lock the car and leave for a couple minutes...all cell phone related settings are lost. If I just turn it off and don't lock the car, the settings will be saved and the phone will automatically connect once the car is started again. Besides losing the settings, the car is 100% compatible with 2 phones I have tried (signal level, contacts, speed dials, etc). I went to the local dealer and they said they have never heard of such an issue...and basically gave me a lecture on how to link it. Obviously, after they set it up, settings were lost the next time I left the car. This is not battery related, as no other settings are lost, nor is the voltage low. The whole stereo system (no ML/NAV) works fine and has no issue with losing settings.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any thoughts?
Even if to assume that there is a compatibility issue with your phones, nav should not loose the settings. It is a problem with nav unit and you have to ask for replacement.
Old 02-02-09, 07:21 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Obvious thing, but make sure you save the bluetooth device in the cell phone and set it as an "authorized device" so that it auto-connects when in range. This is on my Samsung cell phone, btw.
Old 02-02-09, 11:53 AM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arantant
Obvious thing, but make sure you save the bluetooth device in the cell phone and set it as an "authorized device" so that it auto-connects when in range. This is on my Samsung cell phone, btw.
You dont have to do that. Nav initiates connection by itself and your phone should ask whether you want to accept the connection from your car or not. Of course it is enoying b/c you have to do it all the time and "authorizing" eliminates that.
Old 02-02-09, 04:40 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't believe it is cell phone related, as both phones auto connect if I turn the car on/off...it only happens after I lock it and leave for a couple of minutes. The phones just disappear from the phones menu in the nav, but the "HANDS FREE" device stays in both phones and is set up as a handsfree device that is auto accepted. It is as if the navs cell phone part is in "anonymous" mode, where all settings are cleared after leaving. Any other ideas?
Are there any service menus available for the 07?
Old 10-01-09, 02:05 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I totally forgot about this thread. Just to let people know...I had to get the whole headunit replaced (screen+whatever is behind it). The service advisor paired his phone and left it overnight (with both a new GS and mine). Obviously, the next morning only the new GS still had his phone in there. So after months of waiting to have them actually test it, they finally admitted there was something wrong.

They couldn't figure out what was wrong...so they were instructed to replace the whole thing. It works fine now with the phone and others.
Love the new screen, much brighter than the old one and scratch free
However, they made me wait 5 months to get it all sorted out, which was quite annoying.