GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone have a '06 gs430 without dash noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 05:31 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have a '06 gs430 without dash noise?

Ive been searching for my 3gs for a while now. Drove my 3rd one tonight and it had the styrofoam squeak. Im starting to think they all have/get it, especially after reading all the posts on here. Unfortunately these types of noises are my biggest pet peeve!

I really want a 3gs coming from a 2gs430 and a gs400 already but i cant pull the trigger bc of this issue. I just want to make sure my search is hopeless. To be where I want to spend Im looking at '06's with around 50k so out of warranty.

Anyone with that many miles not have the squeaks/rattles?
Old 02-04-09, 05:55 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

find one with less than 50K miles so it is in warranty for dash rattles and get it taken care of, many of us have quiet cars after the deaker has had a chance (or multiple chances) to fix the issue.
Old 02-04-09, 08:09 PM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
find one with less than 50K miles so it is in warranty for dash rattles and get it taken care of, many of us have quiet cars after the deaker has had a chance (or multiple chances) to fix the issue.

Yeah thats an option but then again the idea of having to take my car right to the dealer as soon as i get it ruins it for me. Johnson Lexus is the worst!

Both my 2gs's were solid as a rock. Im starting to miss my old car now.

Why lexus, why do you make me consider going back to bmw?
Old 02-04-09, 08:21 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't looked at the weather where you are but I have noticed the dash is a bit noisier when it is colder outside..

Mine does it on occassion but I also live in Orange County where cold for us is less than 50 degrees.

I noticed you drove one at night... not that it would eliminate your pet peave but drive one during the day...

And for the record, I still dont know why it does this but it is not common enough for me to take it to the dealer...
Old 02-04-09, 08:43 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfront
Haven't looked at the weather where you are but I have noticed the dash is a bit noisier when it is colder outside..

Mine does it on occassion but I also live in Orange County where cold for us is less than 50 degrees.

I noticed you drove one at night... not that it would eliminate your pet peave but drive one during the day...

And for the record, I still dont know why it does this but it is not common enough for me to take it to the dealer...

have you had any TSIB fixes performed on your car yet?

I'm considering having the TSIB with windshield clips shaved and the cowl replaced. That one doesn't involve disassembling the dashboard.

i'm not sure if that will preempt the sytrofoam squeak
Old 02-04-09, 10:45 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

If you have done the Nav/DVD bypass or the Prestigious Kit...you basically have taken half of your front dash apart. Alot of you guys don't want the dealer to take your dash apart because you guys are afraid they will mess up your car...i had a very good experience with my dealer and they assure me by letting me see my car and all the parts that was taken out. They put everything back and no screws were left over at all...the tech that work on my car was very professional at his work. Back to the subject...i think you should buy a car with less than 50K miles because i purchase 2 06 GS430 and both had the rattles...but here's the good side of this rattle stories...Park Place fix both cars and results was NO MORE RATTLES on front and back dash.
Old 02-05-09, 05:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ECUgs430, good luck to you in your search. If I were you, I would stick with the 2GS or go with something else. I would not buy my GS if I know I would have to take it into the dealer to have my whole dash board taken apart at less than 2000 miles. The old TSB is just a temp fix, there is suppose to be a new dash board clip design, hopefully that will fix the dash rattle for good. The bad new is that its not just the dash board, the GS have rattle problem in a few other areas.
Old 02-05-09, 07:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i had my dash rattle fixed about 2000 miles ago and it hasnt come back yet. my car is an 06 with 46k on it right now but i also have an extended 100k mile warranty too.
Old 02-05-09, 07:25 AM
GGenovese
Rookie

I have an 06 GS430 with 52k. I bought it with 32k on it a year and a half ago and never heard a rattle. I did notice that someone put two sponge bars (size of tic tac boxes) between the dash and the windsheild and maybe that was the EZ fix to the rattles back then when they had it. I dont hear any rattles and I have an L7 Solobaric in truck that Im sure shakes the motor mounts loose.
Old 02-05-09, 07:25 AM
GGenovese
Rookie

P.S. Pull the trigger and buy the car. Hopefully you will be as happy as I am with mine.
Old 02-05-09, 08:50 AM
echelon
Driver

My view on it is what are you really looking for in a car. If the only thing you'll focus on is it's faults which in this case the main one with these cars is the dash rattle/squeak then I'd say don't get it. But when I was looking at replacing my wife's car I was looking for overall quality and personal preference for luxury and I like the Lexus luxury. I like the layout of the dash, controls, NAV, etc. I like the feel of the seats and the way it drives. Those things overshadow the few faults in my opinion the car has.
Old 02-05-09, 09:11 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

the dash clip that come from the factor have very thin felt wrapped around it. The engineers didn't seem to think you need thicker felt. Well the TSIB is to replace the dash clip for ones with thicker felt. I recent just pulled mine apart to replace them. Its not bad at all. A lot easier to pull them my 2gs. If you get an experience mechanic he can have it in and out in about 4 hours. The pay on it is only 2.7 or something like that. Thats why they try not to take your whole dash out.
Old 02-05-09, 09:46 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunnojack
have you had any TSIB fixes performed on your car yet?

I'm considering having the TSIB with windshield clips shaved and the cowl replaced. That one doesn't involve disassembling the dashboard.

i'm not sure if that will preempt the sytrofoam squeak
I had a TSIB done for the back window as that one did drive me crazy. The dealer told me there were clips that were rubbing on the body of the car and they needed to remove the clips. I took it to 3 dealers and none of them could figure it out then while in Vegas I stopped by and they knew the problem right away and called Newport to let them know what to do.

The front squeak is very random and I could probably count on my 2 hands the times it has happened. It also does not last very long so unless something else is needed with my car, I probably wont make a trip to the dealer just for this issue...In addition, my wife has taken over the Lexus so until she complains about it we are probably good to go ...

Last edited by beachfront; 02-05-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-05-09, 10:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

ECUgs430, like someone already said, it depends on what you are looking for in a car. What do you value in a car? If you highly value a solid car that is rattle free, then skip on the 3GS. If you value a refined power train and a pretty nice interior, the the 3GS should be on your list.
Old 02-05-09, 12:52 PM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

Why wouldn't everyone expect a rattle free car?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a '06 gs430 without dash noise?