GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! (broke locking lug)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 06:33 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! (broke locking lug)

So I'm replacing the rear brake pads (super simple, BTW) and I go to loosen the lug nut with the locking pattern on it and the end of the lug nut broke off!
I've put some JB Weld on the "key" and stuck it on the broken bolt. It should be cured by tonight. I'm crossing my fingers it works. If not, anyone else have any ideas?
Old 02-16-09, 06:48 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by costanza
So I'm replacing the rear brake pads (super simple, BTW) and I go to loosen the lug nut with the locking pattern on it and the end of the lug nut broke off!
I've put some JB Weld on the "key" and stuck it on the broken bolt. It should be cured by tonight. I'm crossing my fingers it works. If not, anyone else have any ideas?
Get a pair of vice grips and use them to get the bolt off. May also need some persuasion with a hammer. When you are finished look for a card that tells you what to do with the damaged key or contact Lexus. When I did it I contacted the manufacturer of the locking lug nuts McGard http://www.mcgard.com/ got a new set mailed out to me free and while waiting for the set in the mail I got a new set put on for free at the dealer.
Old 02-16-09, 06:58 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that really sux...be careful damaging your wheels.
Old 02-16-09, 09:51 AM
OutkastGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomastan
that really sux...be careful damaging your wheels.
Not just the wheel, but the whole rear assembly! Just make sure you don't glue the wheel to the stud and to the rotors itself.

I don't think JB Weld will hold up considering how much torque you'll be putting on the bolt itself. If it works, good job and I will try that next time!

Good luck!
Old 02-16-09, 10:07 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, but JB weld WILL not hold.
Old 02-16-09, 11:46 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

if you are lucky enough for the JB weld to wrk, great. I hope you used the key to rremove all the locking nuts before you used that key in that fashion. If not, take it to the dealer or a tire place, I KNOW the dealer has a tool that fits over the lug nut and hugs it and removes it, they may nick your wheel but it wont be that bad probably....
Old 02-16-09, 08:17 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Unfortunately, the closet Lexus dealer is an hour away
The JB Weld did NOT work. To be fair, the nut was on VERY tight and I didn't let it set for a full 24 hours. Anyway, I took it to a local tire shop and after about 15 minutes of using one of those sockets that literally dig into the lug nut, he got it off! He didn't even charge me!!!! I tried to pay him SOMETHING, but he refused. He'll definitely get my business in the future. I stopped by the Toyota dealer and bought a single non-locking lug nut to replace the broken locking nut for a grand total of $5. I don't really see the point of the locking lugs on these standard 17" wheels. They're a headache. I'll be replacing them all soon. I need to get a replacement key first since mine is now trashed. BTW, it took me maybe 5 - 10 minutes to replace the brake pads on the rear driver's side once I was able to get the wheel off! It is sooooo simple! (I replaced the rear passenger side last night before I hit a roadblock with the broken lug).
Old 02-16-09, 08:25 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ouch same thing happened to me...so i brought it over to Toyota and they have a set that opened it no problem...you can always get some shop to drill it out
Old 02-16-09, 08:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyway, I took it to a local tire shop and after about 15 minutes of using one of those sockets that literally dig into the lug nut, he got it off! He didn't even charge me!!!! I tried to pay him SOMETHING, but he refused. He'll definitely get my business in the future.
sounds like a good guy, this world could definitely use more guys like him
Old 02-16-09, 10:00 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, the closet Lexus dealer is an hour away
The JB Weld did NOT work. To be fair, the nut was on VERY tight and I didn't let it set for a full 24 hours. Anyway, I took it to a local tire shop and after about 15 minutes of using one of those sockets that literally dig into the lug nut, he got it off! He didn't even charge me!!!! I tried to pay him SOMETHING, but he refused. He'll definitely get my business in the future. I stopped by the Toyota dealer and bought a single non-locking lug nut to replace the broken locking nut for a grand total of $5. I don't really see the point of the locking lugs on these standard 17" wheels. They're a headache. I'll be replacing them all soon. I need to get a replacement key first since mine is now trashed. BTW, it took me maybe 5 - 10 minutes to replace the brake pads on the rear driver's side once I was able to get the wheel off! It is sooooo simple! (I replaced the rear passenger side last night before I hit a roadblock with the broken lug).
That is great news man....I am glad for you....how did you know to do the brakes, did you see a DIY or care to write one? I may do this sometime..
Old 02-17-09, 05:50 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

... I don't really see the point of the locking lugs on these standard 17" wheels...
I've been saying that for years. I asked my dealer to remove the locking lugs at my first service visit.
Old 02-18-09, 08:46 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That is great news man....I am glad for you....how did you know to do the brakes, did you see a DIY or care to write one? I may do this sometime..

Dealer was doing TSB on rear brakes and said we were down to about 1mm! They wanted $180 for the rear brake job. I said no thanks. Akebono pads from autohausaz dot com cost me about $65/shipped. Seeing as how they already had the rear wheels off for the TSB, I can't believe they wanted all that labor cost for the simplest 5 minute brake job I've ever seen in my life!!!
They also said they couldn't find a leak in my rear tire (I hadn't even looked for it as yet). While I had the tire off doing the brake job, a bright silver screw head was staring at me from the center of the tire tread! Lexus of South Atlanta BLOWS!!!!!!!!!