GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS AWD system

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 05:03 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS AWD system

Sorry for the first time poster here in Club Lexus and I don't want to jack other's thread either. Anyhow, I'm doing a little research on the GS 350 AWD before going for it. As of right now I'm having a 04 G35 coupe + a winter beater Accord. With a wife and kid now, sometimes I feel bad cramp them in the back of my G or not so safe in the beater Accord on snowy days. I finally narrow it down and have been reading and checking out this fully loaded 2007 GS 350 AWD at the dealer near by, and they're asking $33,800 at 42K mileage (what's the good price to offer them Out of the Door?). I haven't be able to test drive, but it does look lovely and would helping me able to forget the memories on my G after 5 years baby-ing it. I did all the research until I have question on the AWD system on Lexus, only able to find the older models. My questions are, how's the 2007 AWD on these cars? How smart is the AWD, like power distribution when snow or clear out? If its an AWD, how come it has a snow button?
Old 02-23-09, 01:51 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

The AWD is fine. Under normal conditions it delivers 70% power to the rear wheels, 30% to the front and can deliver 50/50 if the need arises. It's a relatively simple system in itself, but combined with the stability control, and traction control, and abs, works very well.
The snow mode starts the vehicle moving in 2nd gear and changes the throttle response to help prevent loss of traction
Old 02-23-09, 09:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in the Bay State are you? I am in Scituate and bought an 06 GS300 AWD last May. I put a set of high performance winter tires on it last November and can't sing the praises enough especially with the snow we have had already. The AWD system is great in all weather and road conditions. I won't go back to a FWD car ever again. My previous car was and 02 ES which is FWD and that coupled with decent all season radials was ok in snow, but there is no comparison to my GS.

steviej
Old 02-24-09, 05:11 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the info guys. That were every helpful. I'm in Lowell by the way.
Old 02-24-09, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you live in Lowell, you will need 2 alarms on your new GS Just Kidding The GS has a mechanical center diff AWD system. The AWD system is ok, its no subrau or Jeep. The limitation is the low ground clearnace and the performance tires. The stability system kind of made up for that, Lexus have one of the best stability in the market. The snow mode is for 2nd gear start and less gas pedal response.
$33.8K for a 07 with almost 50K miles seems too high, I would try to knock $5K off that. When looking for a used GS, make sure they dont have the dash rattles problem, a lot of GS have them. Pick the coldest day you can and drive the car for at least 30 mins, you might hear rattles and creaks from the dash area. If you do, keep looking, thats not the GS for you.
Old 02-24-09, 10:41 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you live in Lowell, you will need 2 alarms on your new GS Just Kidding The GS has a mechanical center diff AWD system. The AWD system is ok, its no subrau or Jeep. The limitation is the low ground clearnace and the performance tires. The stability system kind of made up for that, Lexus have one of the best stability in the market. The snow mode is for 2nd gear start and less gas pedal response.
$33.8K for a 07 with almost 50K miles seems too high, I would try to knock $5K off that. When looking for a used GS, make sure they dont have the dash rattles problem, a lot of GS have them. Pick the coldest day you can and drive the car for at least 30 mins, you might hear rattles and creaks from the dash area. If you do, keep looking, thats not the GS for you.
Cool, thanx man. I will look out for that rattle thingy. $33.8 is just the price they have on sticker, I am planning to knock it off anyway. Still better than the one in Herb Chambers. 08, 19K miles, fully loaded asking for $41K non negotiable. I just walked and said I have never heard of a deal that does not want to negotiate =). It was rainny and cold out and they didn't even offer me a cup of coffee. =)
Old 02-24-09, 11:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Herb Chamber is one of the worst dealer in MA for buying cars, they have that new policy where you can return a used after 30 days if you dont like it, but no negotiation on price comes with that new policy.
Old 02-24-09, 11:55 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

^ LOL u know about that policy too =)
Old 02-24-09, 09:25 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Herb Chamber is one of the worst dealer in MA for buying cars, they have that new policy where you can return a used after 30 days if you dont like it, but no negotiation on price comes with that new policy.
but they are the best for service.
Old 02-24-09, 10:11 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vhtran
Cool, thanx man. I will look out for that rattle thingy. $33.8 is just the price they have on sticker, I am planning to knock it off anyway. Still better than the one in Herb Chambers. 08, 19K miles, fully loaded asking for $41K non negotiable. I just walked and said I have never heard of a deal that does not want to negotiate =). It was rainny and cold out and they didn't even offer me a cup of coffee. =)
I bought an 08 demo with $5K miles a month ago, AWD, Nav w/ML stereo, XM radio, ClearBra, for $41.6, or $41,8 out the door (no sales tax in OR)

Just to let you know, these AWDs are thursty. I baby that gas pedal and still get about 19/22.
Old 02-25-09, 05:26 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I bought an 08 demo with $5K miles a month ago, AWD, Nav w/ML stereo, XM radio, ClearBra, for $41.6, or $41,8 out the door (no sales tax in OR)

Just to let you know, these AWDs are thursty. I baby that gas pedal and still get about 19/22.
Thanx for tha warning, but it's ok. I am planning to buy that car not because of the mpg, if so I'd already go to Prius forum =) thanx though ehehe.

Different car makers use different appreviation for their tech. Let me get this straigh. Even thou the AWD system on Lexus is simple but it does have Traction Control, ABS (of course), how about limited slip differential?
Old 02-25-09, 06:14 PM
MassGS
Driver School Candidate

Even thou the AWD system on Lexus is simple but it does have Traction Control, ABS (of course), how about limited slip differential?

The '08 AWD has limited slip differential, and I don't think it was new that year.

Re. Snow mode - Since it shuts off with the car, you have to turn it on each time (which makes sense most of the time). I'm in Milton, so have been in the same snow as Stevie J and G Man, and with or without Snow mode, it's been outstanding. I am just on the OEM runflat tires too.

Re. Herb Chambers, mine was from there too. Here at the end of the month, I can't believe they won't be begging to sell you the car at your price if you walk out to think it over.
Old 02-26-09, 05:17 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MassGS
Even thou the AWD system on Lexus is simple but it does have Traction Control, ABS (of course), how about limited slip differential?

The '08 AWD has limited slip differential, and I don't think it was new that year.

Re. Snow mode - Since it shuts off with the car, you have to turn it on each time (which makes sense most of the time). I'm in Milton, so have been in the same snow as Stevie J and G Man, and with or without Snow mode, it's been outstanding. I am just on the OEM runflat tires too.

Re. Herb Chambers, mine was from there too. Here at the end of the month, I can't believe they won't be begging to sell you the car at your price if you walk out to think it over.
Thanx for the information on the limited slip dif., so the 2007 doesn't have it. I'm not sure why they don't want to do the negotiation. Swear to God, I just bought a used 05 TL for my father and the Honda dealer was trying hard to get every single cent. Anyway, I'm not in the hurry to get the car (will thou), so I just see if there is another good deal around anf if that car at Herb Chambers will not move, I'll come back and see if they're willing to deal. =)
Old 02-26-09, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

MassGS, did Herb Chamber sell you that red sox plate. Its another one of their rip off packages, it comes with the extended warranty. All that for a 150% mark up in price
Old 03-02-09, 06:43 AM
vhtran
Driver School Candidate

Finally, I had a chance to test drive the GS 350 AWD yesterday. The hwy was ok, nice picking up the speed, quiet, but the down side was that the previous owner seem like didn't take care the car well. Scratches, stains which made me feel loosing the luxury touch of the interior. There are other scratches on the exterior as well. Bumpy road was nice, but got the cracking noise from the dash that GS series come with the car right from the factory (but will be fixed under the warranty). The wife was sitting in the back seat with the daughter in the Recaro and she felt like it's smaller than it look from the outside. It was a disappointment for giving it a good hope before test drive it (i love the look). Went back to the dealer and they have exactly the same one with deep blue, tan interior and everything was almost flawless except does not have the Nav + Mark Levison system. Since it's snow out today, I wanted to give the 2008 Audi A6 a shot and see if it make me fall in love with it. The damn used BMW 535xi is still freaking out of my pocket. Probably have to wait for the next available GS.

Quick Reply: GS AWD system