GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

MPG - Standard vs PWR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 09:35 PM
smilepak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any reason not to always use PWR? I mean keep PWR on all the time and not bother with normal?
Old 03-28-09, 01:32 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smilepak
Is there any reason not to always use PWR? I mean keep PWR on all the time and not bother with normal?
I haven't found one yet. My PWR is always on.
Old 03-28-09, 02:08 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyz4
sport mode is only for gs 430, i don't notice a huge difference when i use it. the car supposely is lower and better traction? but i dunno if that would save gas?
the gs 450h & 460 also have sport mode. sport mode has nothing to do with gas mileage; sport mode is making the stock shocks stiffer, and thus provide better handling.
Old 03-28-09, 04:03 PM
maxtcee
Driver

who would have thought i always thought pwr was the guzzler im going to try this
Old 03-29-09, 06:52 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all the above comments. Keep in mind, however that when you change the transmissions shift points (higher), the engine revs higher before each shift. In this case, it may be that higher revs don't necessarily reduce actual mileage because of the engines ability to constantly re-tune but increased revs almost always result in additional stress on the internal engine components. It may take many many miles until the additional stresses manifest themselves as problems but it is still happening just the same. Keep that in mind in your zeal to increase the feeling of power when you hit the gas.
Old 03-29-09, 07:52 AM
arnieosp
Racer

In reality, the shifting point goes up by maybe 500 rpm, at least on my car. I don't think its signifficant enough to even talk about.
Old 03-29-09, 08:20 AM
maxtcee
Driver

so with that does it mean your transmission goes faster
Old 03-29-09, 08:42 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by maxtcee
so with that does it mean your transmission goes faster
What do you mean?
Old 03-29-09, 09:47 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa...this is interesting..I'm going to try it too.

Right now on normal mode, 20 city and 28 hwy... Lets see what PWR mode does starting tomorrow
Old 03-29-09, 10:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i get 19 mainly highway... sigh... going speed limit =[

whish i could get 30..
Old 03-29-09, 02:39 PM
maxtcee
Driver

i mean if your tranny is shifting later does that mean it will blow faster
Old 03-29-09, 03:46 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by maxtcee
i mean if your tranny is shifting later does that mean it will blow faster
Come on, if I ever thought the the AT would blow faster just because it shifts at 500 RPM higher, why would I even buy a Lexus. Remember, we are not talking 5000 RPM difference.
Old 03-29-09, 07:45 PM
smilepak
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
the gs 450h & 460 also have sport mode. sport mode has nothing to do with gas mileage; sport mode is making the stock shocks stiffer, and thus provide better handling.
GS350 also have sport mode too. I have it on mine.
Old 03-30-09, 05:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The tranny and the engine is not going to blow faster because you have it in power mode, If it does, Lexus would never allow that design.
One other thing the power mode does is that it will downshift quicker when you slow down. That will keep the RPM up just in case you want sudden accelaration, the engine will be ready without a need to down shift.
Old 03-30-09, 06:09 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

i have a 2GS but thought id jump in on this topic because i recently started driving mine permanently in PWR mode also. i noticed no difference in MPG or perhaps a touch better. I think it is because, in my case, i am used to more 'sporty' turbo manual-transmission cars so i expect more response than the standard normally aspirated auto in economy mode. as such i seem to give it 'more stick' to get going and to overtake and so on, and i find myself being a bit more heavy on the throttle.

in PWR mode though i find that it shifts a bit slicker and revs out a bit cleaner so i can more swiftly get going and around the suburbs etc i find it less likely to get 'caught out' or 'bog down' so i can just keep a good flow through corners and roundabouts with the need to keep trying to punch it to get it to give a bit more.

also as stated when slowing down i can then just get up to speed again easily as it seems to select the right gears as i slow, rather than having to kick it back to life from too low or high a gear thus working it harder again.

if you do constantly rev it out more in lower gears though there is no denying it will wear out the transmission sooner - nothing will last forever and revving out more all the time will accelerate the wear moreso than revving low all the time. but it would be very minor difference and probably not manifest for a long long way down the track. and if you just drive quite normally such that PWR doesnt rev much high it just shifts down more and up a bit quicker then the difference id say would be negligable.

Quick Reply: MPG - Standard vs PWR