GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 12:43 PM
mbasko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio Issue

Hello All,

Every few days my XM radio seems to go out. It always occurs as I am switching stations. Once it goes out, it will only come back if I turn off the car and turn it back on.

Anyone else have a similar issue? How can I determine if it is an XM issue or something is wrong with the radio?

I assume turning the car off/on re-establishes the link with the satelite. Is there a way to reset the XM without turning off the car?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark
'07 GS350
Old 03-02-09, 12:52 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!! I have the same problem in my 08 GS460!!!
Old 03-02-09, 12:57 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mbasko;4303329]Hello All,

Every few days my XM radio seems to go out. It always occurs as I am switching stations. Once it goes out, it will only come back if I turn off the car and turn it back on.

Anyone else have a similar issue? How can I determine if it is an XM issue or something is wrong with the radio?

I assume turning the car off/on re-establishes the link with the satelite. Is there a way to reset the XM without turning off the car?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark
'07 GS350[/QUOTE/]

my wife would probably just never change stations! lol it sounds like a radio issue!
Old 03-02-09, 01:35 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

would it be possible that there may be a problem with a ground wire?
Old 03-02-09, 05:40 PM
mdjtlj
Driver School Candidate

Default Mine Too

Mine does this same thing too (2008 GS 350). It happens only once a month or so, I must also turn off the car to get it to come back. Annoying.

Last edited by mdjtlj; 03-02-09 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forgot year
Old 03-02-09, 06:12 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lose signal in the exact same spots (certain roads, under bridges) but it doesn't fade out or in, it just goes out. Oddly enough, those same spots are where my cell phone also has the poorest reception too.

steviej
Old 03-03-09, 03:36 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Mark,

What you are describing is different that intermitent signal drops experienced my most sat customers. Those can be just for a few seconds and coincide with going under some bridges, secondary roads canopied by trees or other open spaces where the signal just isn't very strong. But it self corrects in a few seconds depending on conditions.

I'm not aware of any way to reboot xm without restarting the car. The fact that restart helps, makes it unlikely, I think, that the problem is a a loose antenna connection etc. I don't see how restarting the car would reliably address a loose connection. The prior suggestion about a ground wire my be valid, I don't know.

You don't mention any issues with other inputs, FM etc but if you haven't used the other components for extended periods, I suggest you do that and see if there are other issues. That would point ot the stereo head. Otherwise, I think there are just 3 possible failure points: the sat input on the stereo, the xm tuner or the antenna placement or lead wire. A few years ago, Lexus was using triangle antennas mounted on the inside of the windshield. Reception was spotty at best and the drops were frequent and longer. If you have one of those, get it replaced. I suspect tho they had stopped doing that by the time you 07 was outfitted. The antenna should have a clear view of the sky and preferably be on the outside of the car. Yours is probably using the shark fin which is good, other than the connector may be faulty. If it's still under warranty, I would think about asking to have the tuner replaced (it's in the trunk behind the panels). Unless you can get it to the dealer when it's not connecting and they can diagnose it then, it's a guessing game but that's where I would start. my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-09, 07:17 AM
mbasko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecount00
Mark,

What you are describing is different that intermitent signal drops experienced my most sat customers. Those can be just for a few seconds and coincide with going under some bridges, secondary roads canopied by trees or other open spaces where the signal just isn't very strong. But it self corrects in a few seconds depending on conditions.

I'm not aware of any way to reboot xm without restarting the car. The fact that restart helps, makes it unlikely, I think, that the problem is a a loose antenna connection etc. I don't see how restarting the car would reliably address a loose connection. The prior suggestion about a ground wire my be valid, I don't know.

You don't mention any issues with other inputs, FM etc but if you haven't used the other components for extended periods, I suggest you do that and see if there are other issues. That would point ot the stereo head. Otherwise, I think there are just 3 possible failure points: the sat input on the stereo, the xm tuner or the antenna placement or lead wire. A few years ago, Lexus was using triangle antennas mounted on the inside of the windshield. Reception was spotty at best and the drops were frequent and longer. If you have one of those, get it replaced. I suspect tho they had stopped doing that by the time you 07 was outfitted. The antenna should have a clear view of the sky and preferably be on the outside of the car. Yours is probably using the shark fin which is good, other than the connector may be faulty. If it's still under warranty, I would think about asking to have the tuner replaced (it's in the trunk behind the panels). Unless you can get it to the dealer when it's not connecting and they can diagnose it then, it's a guessing game but that's where I would start. my 2 cents.

Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. This is not an intermittent signal drop like when I go through a long bridge. I do have the shark fin antenna. Whenever, the problem occurs, I switch to FM or AM and everything works fine.

I will take it into the dealer when I have some time. Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-03-09, 05:01 PM
LexNJ
Driver School Candidate

Guys.. I had the exact same problem and it was a signal drop .. I had to turn off the car and do a restart to get the xm to work. I called the dealer and they know exactly what I was talking about. They reordered a new xm box right from Lexus that took a few weeks to get in. I haven't had the problem since. I asked the dealer what xm box they used to begin with and if it was an after market xm or the official Lexus xm box.. they lead me to believe that it was the after market box hence waiting a few weeks for the new xm to arrive right from Lexus.. needless to say I would highly suggest you get your dealer to exchange this for you... you really do not want to be delaing with this for the life of your car..
Old 03-03-09, 05:06 PM
ejvette
Driver

Wow i have the exact same problem and my business partner has an ES350 and has had that happen also. It has happened myabe 4 or 5 times since i got the car in November.
Old 03-03-09, 05:12 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

I have replaced a handfull of xm receiver boxes because of this condition. Have your dealer pull the trouble codes from the audio system, and then order you a new receiver box.
Old 03-04-09, 11:04 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Good to know. That is what I, perhaps improperly, called a tuner in my prior post. I also had to have that replaced in my car a few months after I got it. The reception was very spotty, many drops for 20 secs or longer. I never had to restart the car to get it back but it was unusable. They replaced the sirius tuner (receiver) and the triangle antenna and it's been fine ever since.