GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

small black button

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 12:57 AM
Johnnyz4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small black button

i have a 06 GS 430 on the passenger side under the glove box by your left knee if you are sitting down there is a small black button what does this button do?
Old 03-05-09, 05:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its for TPMS....
Old 03-05-09, 09:02 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the switch that you use to tell the car which set of tires are currently on the car. Your car can be set up for two sets of tires each with their own set of TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors).

steviej
Old 03-05-09, 09:37 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is one to the top question lately...well answer steviej
Old 05-14-09, 07:11 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread....

Can someone tell me if you can program different PSI for different sets of sensors?

e.g. 35 psi for one set and say 38-40 psi for another set.

My reason for asking is that some people suggest that tires with a lower profile should have higher tire pressure. Is there any truth to this?
Old 05-15-09, 08:34 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RudeDoggy
Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread....

Can someone tell me if you can program different PSI for different sets of sensors?

e.g. 35 psi for one set and say 38-40 psi for another set.

My reason for asking is that some people suggest that tires with a lower profile should have higher tire pressure. Is there any truth to this?
nope, the system has to be re-initialized for each set you put on.
Mount of the tires on the vehicle, set the pressure to what you want. set the selector switch for the set of tires on your car. Then initialize the system for those tires and pressure. It just a matter of pushing and holding the button underneath the steering wheel. All this is covered in your owner's manual.

steviej
Old 05-15-09, 09:44 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steviej
nope, the system has to be re-initialized for each set you put on.
Mount of the tires on the vehicle, set the pressure to what you want. set the selector switch for the set of tires on your car. Then initialize the system for those tires and pressure. It just a matter of pushing and holding the button underneath the steering wheel. All this is covered in your owner's manual.

steviej
steviej,

I just read the manual (I usually do this first...honest) and while I did read the section on reinitializing the TPMS, it doesn't explicitly mention whether different PSI can be initialized. (i.e. Is 35 psi hard-coded in the TPMS?) It just says to make sure the tire pressure is at the specified cold-temperature pressure (which is 35 psi as per the manual).

Last edited by RudeDoggy; 05-15-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 10:10 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wait a sec.......he said Passenger side not driver side. I think that button is for you to lock the trunk when you hand your car to valet or service they will not able to open your trunk.
Old 05-17-09, 05:32 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kyang91
wait a sec.......he said Passenger side not driver side. I think that button is for you to lock the trunk when you hand your car to valet or service they will not able to open your trunk.
The black button way under the glove compartment (passenger's side) is for selecting which set of tires you have put on the car: Main or 2nd.

The black button under the steering column shaft (driver's side) is for reinitializing the TPMS system.

kyang91: the trunk lock out switch you are posting about is inside the glove compartment.

RudeDoggy, you set the cold/ambient tires to the pressure that you want/are comfortable with (may be different from recommended) and reinitialize the system. You don't want to do this after the tires have heated up from a trip. Warm tires = higher pressure and when they cool down they will trigger the TPMS system as the pressure falls. When you reinitialize the system, the pressure at the time of reinitialization becomes the target pressure for the system.

steviej
Old 05-19-09, 02:45 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steviej
The black button way under the glove compartment (passenger's side) is for selecting which set of tires you have put on the car: Main or 2nd.

The black button under the steering column shaft (driver's side) is for reinitializing the TPMS system.

kyang91: the trunk lock out switch you are posting about is inside the glove compartment.

RudeDoggy, you set the cold/ambient tires to the pressure that you want/are comfortable with (may be different from recommended) and reinitialize the system. You don't want to do this after the tires have heated up from a trip. Warm tires = higher pressure and when they cool down they will trigger the TPMS system as the pressure falls. When you reinitialize the system, the pressure at the time of reinitialization becomes the target pressure for the system.

steviej
Thanks steviej! That makes perfect sense. Now to have the Lexus stealership gouge me on the programming of the sensors.