GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil overfilled - Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 11:54 AM
tommyd3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil overfilled - Problem?

I had the local Firestone / Bridgestone dealer change the oil on my 08 GS350 today. I had transferred a lifetime alignment from another car and they do free tire rotations. They did have to adjust my rear alignment. Had discount coupons that brought the oil change down under $50. Lexus dealer wanted about $150 (w/o alignment) and is hard to get a loaner out of for the short services.

It appears that the tire dealer put 7 quarts of oil in the car. They charged for 7 and the oil level on the dip stick is almost up to the first bend in the stick. Car runs fine - as opposed to my old Q45 that ran rough when overfilled. I have a suction pump and can easily remove the 1/2 quart thru the dip stick tube. Should I do that, or is it alright as is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-09, 12:02 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the oil is above the maximum level, i say just remove half a quart.. its easy and safer this way.
Old 03-18-09, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My Lexus dealer used to charge me only $50 for a oil change, Firestone oil changes are as risky as Jiffy Lube. Over filling the oil might be the least of your problem if you keep going there.
Old 03-18-09, 12:55 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tommyd3
I had the local Firestone / Bridgestone dealer change the oil on my 08 GS350 today. I had transferred a lifetime alignment from another car and they do free tire rotations. They did have to adjust my rear alignment. Had discount coupons that brought the oil change down under $50. Lexus dealer wanted about $150 (w/o alignment) and is hard to get a loaner out of for the short services.

It appears that the tire dealer put 7 quarts of oil in the car. They charged for 7 and the oil level on the dip stick is almost up to the first bend in the stick. Car runs fine - as opposed to my old Q45 that ran rough when overfilled. I have a suction pump and can easily remove the 1/2 quart thru the dip stick tube. Should I do that, or is it alright as is?

Thanks in advance.
If you have an evacuator pump, you're halfway thru the process of changing the oil. Why not do the oil changes yourself? It is really easy.
Old 03-18-09, 01:05 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

i'm sorry, but we spend upwards of 40-60K on a car and look for a discount oil service or tire dealer....aren't those 2 of the most important parts of the car?????
Old 03-18-09, 02:15 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
i'm sorry, but we spend upwards of 40-60K on a car and look for a discount oil service or tire dealer....aren't those 2 of the most important parts of the car?????
If we all paid full price for every service on these cars, we probably couldn't afford to keep the cars... yes, it's ironic, and somewhat moronic, but, as my pappee says: "I spend my money better than anyone else can spend my money, so I don't give it away!"

Old 03-18-09, 04:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
If we all paid full price for every service on these cars, we probably couldn't afford to keep the cars... yes, it's ironic, and somewhat moronic, but, as my pappee says: "I spend my money better than anyone else can spend my money, so I don't give it away!"

and if it is done incorrectly and you have problems later, lexus could technically say it wasn't serviced properly (and hence deny warranty claim). it's an extreme example of what can happen if something goes wrong...
Old 03-18-09, 04:03 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
and if it is done incorrectly and you have problems later, lexus could technically say it wasn't serviced properly (and hence deny warranty claim). it's an extreme example of what can happen if something goes wrong...
Don't get me wrong - I completely agree with you! I wouldn't let Firesale, Jiffy Scewd, or Penzvoid - my warranty.... I ask for coupon deals from my dealer, and will typically get them, but to pay full price is kind of ridiculous... I plan around their "service sales" to get the best deal.

Sorry to thread jack, now back to your regularly scheduled posting.

L
Old 03-18-09, 06:48 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

what were they thinking when they pour 7 qts....
Old 03-18-09, 07:07 PM
echelon
Driver

I'd definitely take out the extra oil. When you overfill an engine the crank can possibly hit the oil and whip it into a foam then the oil pump won't pump it. Obviously it's not THAT bad in your case but that's why everyone preaches to not overfill vehicles.
Old 03-18-09, 07:13 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I would take it back and have them fix the problem.. while i watch.
Old 03-18-09, 07:57 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

I really hate going to the Lexus dealer. When I went in for the 5,000 mile service I had to wait in the lounge for 15 minutes before they would even see me. Took the guy almost 30 minutes to write it up and get me the loaner car. FYI, getting a loaner at my local dealer is a major effort! They REALLY dont want to give them out and they service writer has to walk around back and bring one around - a 5-10 minute tak. Then I had to wait 15 minutes again before they would see me when I came back to pick the car up. I even tried to make sure to come when they were less busy (drop off at 9:00 AM and pickup at 2:00). At least that service was free. Plus apparently the Lexus dealer uses 10W-30 even though 5W-30 is recommended by Lexus (that is what they write on the window sticker).

I refuse to pay 3X the price of a tire store/quick lube for the thrill of sitting around all day. I was in & out of the Firestone much quicker.

My local Infiniti dealer knows what they are doing. They have all the loaner cars sitting out front in a row, the paperwork is already pre printed, just go in sign, get a set of keys and drive off.
Old 03-18-09, 08:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyd3
I really hate going to the Lexus dealer. When I went in for the 5,000 mile service I had to wait in the lounge for 15 minutes before they would even see me. Took the guy almost 30 minutes to write it up and get me the loaner car. FYI, getting a loaner at my local dealer is a major effort! They REALLY dont want to give them out and they service writer has to walk around back and bring one around - a 5-10 minute tak. Then I had to wait 15 minutes again before they would see me when I came back to pick the car up. I even tried to make sure to come when they were less busy (drop off at 9:00 AM and pickup at 2:00). At least that service was free. Plus apparently the Lexus dealer uses 10W-30 even though 5W-30 is recommended by Lexus (that is what they write on the window sticker).

I refuse to pay 3X the price of a tire store/quick lube for the thrill of sitting around all day. I was in & out of the Firestone much quicker.

My local Infiniti dealer knows what they are doing. They have all the loaner cars sitting out front in a row, the paperwork is already pre printed, just go in sign, get a set of keys and drive off.
have you tried a different lexus dealer? perhaps you should switch to another dealer if you are not getting the service you want...
Old 03-18-09, 08:35 PM
KXLARRY
Driver School Candidate

Next time change it yourself. Just make sure that the oil filter gasket from the old filter comes out with the old filter. Easy to do and you can use the best oil and filter for your great car. A little extra oil will not hurt but you will smell it.
Old 03-18-09, 09:18 PM
tommyd3
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I think I will order some of the Toyota filters and do the oil changes myself in the future. I do them myself on my Infiniti and Suburban (boy the Suburban is easy - dont even have to jack it up or use ramps). As for a different Lexus dealer - my local dealer is 10 miles from my house, the next closest one is 75 miles. Not really an economic option. I could use the local Toyota dealer I guess.

I did pull the extra oil out, not much, less than 1/2 quart. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Oil overfilled - Problem?