GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Repaint Problem/Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 06:43 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally would rather have my bumper be a little off than blend adjacent panels. With todays paint, an extra coat of clear will change the color. One may not believe this, but it is true, the UV protectant makes the clear less than "clear". I am not suggesting that a horrible mismatch be acceptable, but the painter should get it pretty close. Maybe use more than one brand of paint, as different makers may have a better formula. I personally would not blend my quarter panels for a rear bumper, PERIOD. NEVER. If it is that far off, get a better painter.
Old 04-03-09, 02:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

well the car went back to them tuesday night so they could pick it up from the dealer wednesday morning. hopefully i should get a call today. i know it may be off a bit but im hoping its not nearly has bad as it was the first time.
Old 04-03-09, 08:10 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my GFM GS this week and the front bumper has been repainted. When I bought the car off the internet ( in AZ ) the paint in the pictures was so well matched that I didnt even know till I got the car.

Anyway it is possible to match this paint.

Last edited by Chancellor; 04-03-09 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 10:58 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

well i spoke with the body shop as it was suppose to be done today. he mentioned the color is still off and he feels that there is too much material on the bumper now so they are ordering a new bumper and painting it for me.
Old 04-03-09, 01:34 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

sounds like a respectable, customer oriented shop. gl w the fix.. i do hear that white is the hardest color to match..
Old 04-03-09, 04:42 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stvincent
sounds like a respectable, customer oriented shop. gl w the fix.. i do hear that white is the hardest color to match..
I guessed that they should steal a painter or two from Sewell Lexus, b/c they got it right the vary 1st time!!!
Old 04-03-09, 06:33 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

White is hard to match, because the clear yellows it.
Old 04-03-09, 07:34 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
I guessed that they should steal a painter or two from Sewell Lexus, b/c they got it right the vary 1st time!!!
since it is my first white car, i am too concerned about dealing with the same situation as the op in the future. if it was perfect for your liking, kudos to you. as least his shop is willing to satisfy the customer's needs.

i did have a red before, it is also pita to match the paint, ended up painting the whole car with the candy apple red.
Old 04-03-09, 08:52 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slk_dds
yea, they do a pretty good job matching color, but could spend a little more detail to clear coat runs.
Old 04-03-09, 08:52 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When they worked on my GFM.. the painter not only did test panels, but he took his time and observed the match under different lighting conditions. Rest assured with his patience and experience, it worked out well.

Goodluck on your repairs!
Old 04-04-09, 05:48 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by skinny gs
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally would rather have my bumper be a little off than blend adjacent panels. With todays paint, an extra coat of clear will change the color. One may not believe this, but it is true, the UV protectant makes the clear less than "clear". I am not suggesting that a horrible mismatch be acceptable, but the painter should get it pretty close. Maybe use more than one brand of paint, as different makers may have a better formula. I personally would not blend my quarter panels for a rear bumper, PERIOD. NEVER. If it is that far off, get a better painter.
I can some what agree with this, but my thinking is no matter how close you can get a color match, it is still not a "perfect" match. Why take a chance and have a color close enough? Just take your close enough color and just blend the next panel and not have to worry.

I can admit that sometimes with certain colors we do get such a good match that we don't feel the need to blend, but that all depends on what kind of customer you're dealing with. Some will refuse to have a "blend" and others will nit pick one panel to the next looking for a variance in color if they know it wasn't blended. All depends on the particular situation, I guess.

You're right about the clear changing the color. Some are more "yellow" than others. But instead of blaming the clear for a mismatch, use good color matching skills and good painting techniques to do a quality refinish. No matter how you look at it, the panel or panels need the clearcoat, so instead of finding reasons not to do it, I find a solution to the problem. Given your reasoning to not blend the 1/4's because the clear will change the color......... Well what if your 1/4 panel suffered minor scratch because of the bumper damage. Do you not paint and blend the 1/4 panel then, because the clear will change the color?

If you do the refinish properly, even the most scrutinous customer cannot tell which panels were painted. That is one of the most important things in doing an OEM quality refinish. The best paint job is one with no sign of being painted at all. That is the main reason people are scared of having "unnecessary" panels painted. They feel they are going to find flaws which weren't there prior to the paint job.

I'm not trying to start an agrument or say who is right or wrong. Just stating my opinion again.
Old 04-04-09, 05:54 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
well i spoke with the body shop as it was suppose to be done today. he mentioned the color is still off and he feels that there is too much material on the bumper now so they are ordering a new bumper and painting it for me.
Sounds like they are straight up and honest, but lacking in the quality side of things. Having to redo a job means a mistake happened. Mistakes sometimes happen when painting, but they only happen once. Redoing a redo is Is this a reputable shop that deals with higher end cars?
Old 04-04-09, 05:55 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chancellor
I just got my GFM GS this week and the front bumper has been repainted. When I bought the car off the internet ( in AZ ) the paint in the pictures was so well matched that I didnt even know till I got the car.

Anyway it is possible to match this paint.
If the paintjob was executed so well, how did you know it got painted?