GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Repaint Problem/Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 05:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Repaint Problem/Question

To make a long story short i had to get my rear bumper of my car repainted. The place i took it to is certified by Lexus and is the dealers body shop. My car is painted GFM, however when i was washing my car last night, i could easily tell a visible difference between the rear bumper and the quater panel. The rear bumper looks like a bright white color and the rest of the car looks a whitish gray. I had the bumper repainted 2 weeks ago and when i picked the car up everything did look good, i noticed a slight slight difference but i thought it was my mind playing tricks on me because i knew it was just painted, however when i went to wash it last night, i really noticed a difference even standing about 10 feet away from the car.

Even though its been 2 weeks, can i still call them and have them fix this? After last night, im really not happy with the outcome of the repaint.
Old 03-19-09, 06:32 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any Quality Bodyshop should stand behind their work and if it is that far off. They should repray it again! Just be firm that the work was not a match in color and they should come around especially if it was a Lexus shop! GL!
Old 03-19-09, 09:35 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have pictures? I am getting my GFM GS350 next week and this was the one thing that scared me about this color.
Old 03-19-09, 10:03 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chancellor
You have pictures? I am getting my GFM GS350 next week and this was the one thing that scared me about this color.
im going to take pictures of it this weekend.

i called the body shop and he was very helpful. he told me to bring it down and if it was indeed very far off, he would repaint at no cost and even pay for a rental for the 3 days they need the car.

out in the sun it was hard to really tell with the lights but under the florescent lights, it was pretty obvious.
Old 03-19-09, 01:03 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

damn you couldn't ask for anymore than that^
Old 03-19-09, 01:15 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Recent problem!

To get this done correctly, you need to have them blend the paint while the bumper is attached. I had this issue with my front bumper several times and it took them to blend it to get it right? Regardless of the color, if they spray it off the car it will be hard to match correctly unless they blend the areas around it? The type of material your bumper is made out of will make a difference also, if it's an aftermarket bumper? Don't just settle for the respray, because over time if not done correctly, it will be off again!
Old 03-19-09, 05:17 PM
rkb43
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wringo
To get this done correctly, you need to have them blend the paint while the bumper is attached. I had this issue with my front bumper several times and it took them to blend it to get it right? Regardless of the color, if they spray it off the car it will be hard to match correctly unless they blend the areas around it? The type of material your bumper is made out of will make a difference also, if it's an aftermarket bumper? Don't just settle for the respray, because over time if not done correctly, it will be off again!
Agree 100%, even flat black will not match unless they blend it.
Old 03-19-09, 05:56 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you notice the overspray when they blend?

they paint right over the existing clearcoat?
Old 03-19-09, 06:32 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

You will be best off with the best color match they can do by painting only the bumper. If it is off, live with it. They are all off except the black bumpers. Look at your other bumper and will notice it doesnt match either. Take the advice of a former painter, dont disturb any more than necessary especially when matching the bumper.
Old 03-20-09, 02:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinny gs
You will be best off with the best color match they can do by painting only the bumper. If it is off, live with it. They are all off except the black bumpers. Look at your other bumper and will notice it doesnt match either. Take the advice of a former painter, dont disturb any more than necessary especially when matching the bumper.
i know it doesnt match 100% because the bumpers are plastic and the cars are metal so it makes it not make 100% but i always work in a metal shop where we paint alot of stuff so i know a thing or two about paint myself. it looks like the bumper was painted white crystal pearl, not GFM its that far off.
Old 03-21-09, 06:59 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Take it back and have it repainted!!!

Similar had happened to me also when my toy was only 2 weeks old, some moron "hit&ran" into my front bumper in the parking lot.

My dealer had it repinted (without blending with fenders) did a perfect job, except some fxxkup left a thumb print on it.

So they had to send it down and repaint it again, still job done perfect!!!
Old 03-28-09, 12:05 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Originally Posted by skinny gs
That doesn't sound very professional coming from a former painter. If the color is off you just have to live with it?

I agree that you shouldn't disturb any more than needed to do a color match, but in this case painting the 1/4 panels is necessary, especially since the color is a tri stage. Come on, the basic rule of painting a new part is to blend all adjacent panels, especially on a tri coat color.

BTW, even the black bumpers are off in color. This is advice coming from a current painter.
Old 03-28-09, 12:09 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my 2IS was GFM. It took the experienced painter to do about 15 test panels IIRC. 15 Test shots of this tricky 3 stage paint to get it perfect. Of course by the time i picked up my car, it was perfect! Matched exactly. Blending was not needed.

you have to consider, even if the paint mix is dead on.. but the painter is not experienced, laying on the paint too thin or too thick will affect the overall outcome.. That's why people have to pay a premium for 3 stage paint.
Old 03-28-09, 05:00 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

You should try the Maaco they use some of the finest quality Du pont paint. And they do great work for a good price. I am having my 07 GS350 SGM painting it there right now.
Old 03-28-09, 09:00 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Maacoo really???? I thought they where the worst place to go to.

Quick Reply: Repaint Problem/Question