GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

More Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 08:24 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like Lexus just got bumped down for reliablity by Buick

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/19/j...icle-dependab/
Old 03-20-09, 04:18 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

Man Boze...i'll be honest the rattles don't get me as bad as the squeaky brakes did. just had the brakes done 3 weeks ago and just got some squeaks coming out of the driveway. wtf. nothing consistent, but to hear that infamous squeak brought back some nasty memories. I have some rattles up by my rear view mirror. I'll deal with that at a later time.
Old 03-20-09, 04:41 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I managed to get the squeaks fixed for good with my breaks. Just keep complaing to that main lexus headquarters number. Eventually they'll fix it for you.
Old 03-23-09, 07:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BKE420
Man Boze...i'll be honest the rattles don't get me as bad as the squeaky brakes did.
I guess that depends on how bad your rattles are.
Old 03-23-09, 11:10 AM
NGlaser
Driver School Candidate

For everyone who does nothing but complain about rattles & squeaking brakes; why don't you just sell the car and get something else??
Old 03-23-09, 11:46 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NGlaser
For everyone who does nothing but complain about rattles & squeaking brakes; why don't you just sell the car and get something else??
That costs a lot of money!! - so, that is far easier said than done!
Old 03-23-09, 12:06 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Is it just me or is everyone else in here as disappointed as I am that Leuxs havent fix this problem in the production line yet, the 3GS is already into its 4th year of production.
Old 03-23-09, 12:32 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

No its not just you, lol
Old 04-23-09, 03:56 PM
LexV8
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

We all exprience that GS rattles worse than a cheap Honda! It took me a while to get over the frustration and feeling bad about spending 55K.
Old 04-23-09, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Having moved to the 2GS to 3GS let me quickly give my side.
1. The 2GS used softer plastics than the 3GS. Less likely to rattle
2. The 3GS fit and finish is superb, I feel higher tolerances than the 2GS. Thus more likely to rattle
3. The 3GS has very low profile 18" tires compared to 16/17". More likely to rattle.
4. The 3GS is quiet as a tomb. One time I thought I heard a problem and its scared me. COme to find out it was the ventilated seats that were on
5. The 3GS has 14 speakers. I find that some of the noise comes from the speakers especially in the dash. The 2GS did not have dash mounted speakers unless it was the 01-05 ML system, it got a speaker hump. Again, the dash though is soft.
6. I noticed around the sunroof panel, they switched from a plastic to a metal piece. I've heard it move. Funny thing is we bished about the plastic piece in the 2GS making noise . WHen i close the sunroof liner, I can't hear a thing.
7. The 3GS stock handles like a 2GS with sway bars and a few of us agree with this. Tighter suspensions (that seemingly people want) can cause more rattles.
My 2GS had a rattle every once in awhile. I have noticed a rattle or two in the 3GS. I don't except ANY car to not rattle or be perfect. Maybe when the time comes for a $100,000 LS 600h or something of that nature with a leather dash etc.

To me the major problem why you hear a rattle is the difference in dash material coupled with tighter tolerances and a tighter suspension with lower profile tires. The dash IMO is lovely to look at but it is harder to touch compared to the 2GS. Specifically I have noticed the sound around the front speaker vents.
Old 04-23-09, 10:22 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default rattles

I never owned a car that rattled that I know of. I got this car that suppose to have frame damage and I don't hear a rattle in it. The silver 10 year old one I don't hear anything there. the only rattle car I ever heard was a 10 year old worn out *** acura integra that had all kinds of rattles from the dash
Old 04-24-09, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

It doesnt matter what kind of material or how tight the tolarance are, if it was design correctly with the right type of fastener and fore thought into making it rattle free in all temperature range, then it will be less likely to rattle. The fact that a lot of owners have more rattles in the cold weather tells me that the Lexus engineers did not consider material expansion and contraction when they design the GS. A good example is the speaker grill on the dash, how hard is it to make a grill that doesnt rattle. Low profile tires and tight suspension usually will cause rattles over time, but not at 1000 miles like the GS.
I think a lot of the GS's rattles comes from the chassis flexing too much. I use to be able to make a quick turn or pull into my drive way fast and I can hear the dash board squeaking. To me, thats a sign that the chassis is not rigid enough.
Old 04-24-09, 05:40 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^^ thats exactly where mine use to rattle, mainly the passenger side speaker grille. i had it fixed several months ago and still no issues yet *keeps fingers crossed*
Old 04-24-09, 08:28 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a rattle that is coming from the plastic under my rear view mirror but thats it. Sometimes its there sometimes its not. Its not bothering me enough to fix yet but Im sure it will soon.

Man I have a 08 Chevy impala with the same amount of miles for my work car that is quiter than my GS. Kinda sad. But whatever I still love this car.
Old 04-24-09, 09:13 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Oh man this threads back --

Let me just say I wish I never bothered trying to get the dash rattles fixed. I feel like there's more rattles now then before. Also, my sunroof rattles is annoying as hell now, and I hear rattles from the door too.

I think maybe the problem is the car is so quiet.. you now hear rattles and go crazy? I don't know. It sucks but I guess I gotta live with it.

Quick Reply: More Rattles