GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

More Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 10:03 AM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the front speaker grills. I'm not having any rattles yet. Am I playing with fire if I try to upgrade my front speakers?
Old 04-24-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
Oh man this threads back --

Let me just say I wish I never bothered trying to get the dash rattles fixed. I feel like there's more rattles now then before. Also, my sunroof rattles is annoying as hell now, and I hear rattles from the door too.

I think maybe the problem is the car is so quiet.. you now hear rattles and go crazy? I don't know. It sucks but I guess I gotta live with it.
Your story is like a carbon copy of mine. I also had the dealer fix the dash rattle twice. Every they fix one rattle, two new one shows up. I finally gave up and sold the car. BTW, my new car is just as quite as the GS, and no rattles.
Old 04-24-09, 06:27 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What car did you get? Too bad for me I'm financing until 2013 =(

I love the car except for these damn rattles. I bet you if I never visited this forum I wouldn't have even began thinking about these rattles.
Old 04-24-09, 06:38 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I found sticking a soft white eraser between the window and dashboard in as much as possible got rid of all the rattling issues I had. But I only had the clip issue though...
Old 04-24-09, 06:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
I found sticking a soft white eraser between the window and dashboard in as much as possible got rid of all the rattling issues I had. But I only had the clip issue though...
now that's an ingenious fix! if i get my rattles in the future, you can help me do the eraser fix!
Old 04-24-09, 08:09 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
now that's an ingenious fix! if i get my rattles in the future, you can help me do the eraser fix!
Desperate times (this winter!) call for desperate measures. I even pimped the eraser by coating it in black electrical tape to make it blend into the dash.
Sure, I'll even throw in the original eraser that fixed it all for free
Old 04-24-09, 08:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the dash rattle and the sunroof rattle. I have had the dash out once and the sun roof rattle was fixed at the last visit. I have this annoying rattle in the rear right door.
Old 04-24-09, 09:38 PM
notsure
Driver School Candidate

Default noises

At what mileage are you typically hearing the noisy dash and sunroof? Are your dealers giving you the run around about what to do in order to fix the problem? It sounds like the eraser trick is ingenious!

Gman what kind of car did you buy since you sold your GS?
Old 04-24-09, 11:57 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Desperate times (this winter!) call for desperate measures. I even pimped the eraser by coating it in black electrical tape to make it blend into the dash.
Sure, I'll even throw in the original eraser that fixed it all for free
I used door weatherstrip foam tape ...worked well
Old 04-25-09, 12:51 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

^^ Probably even better, but I didn't want anything too permanent...just so that I wouldn't go crazy before going to the dealer.

Originally Posted by notsure
At what mileage are you typically hearing the noisy dash and sunroof? Are your dealers giving you the run around about what to do in order to fix the problem? It sounds like the eraser trick is ingenious!
I don't have any issues with the sunroof so far, but I've only opened it like 4 times. The dealer did do everything I requested...which is basically most TSBs relating to anything that can be replaced free of charge (except the dust free brake pads, which I do not want done)
The windshield clip noise was always there for me when hitting bigger bumps, but after an unusually cold winter it became louder and occurred even on smaller bumps.

I just had the GS in for a bunch of things relating to TSBs yesterday, and they did all the fixes that are currently known for the rattles...there was 3 items listed as the parts used and it mentions the pillar+clips.

I wouldn't say ingenious, more like desperate...I figured it out after listening to where it came from and sticking my finger between the glass and dashboard
Old 04-25-09, 02:30 PM
Compass
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like Lexus just got bumped down for reliablity by Buick

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/19/j...icle-dependab/
lol @ VW second from last. I can believe it.

Don't you guys listen to music while you're driving? Or are the rattles prominent enough to be heard above the stereo?

I'm still looking for the perfect 07+ GS, and have to admit I can't imagine rattles actually making me regret my purchase. Not that a problem like this should be excused, but letting some rattles ruin the car for you seems a bit much. Especially when with a little problem-solving and creativity (eraser trick above), I'd think one could likely fix some of the major ones themselves (again, not that you should have to, but if the dealer isn't getting the job done...).
Old 04-25-09, 09:28 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Compass
lol @ VW second from last. I can believe it.

Don't you guys listen to music while you're driving? Or are the rattles prominent enough to be heard above the stereo?

I'm still looking for the perfect 07+ GS, and have to admit I can't imagine rattles actually making me regret my purchase. Not that a problem like this should be excused, but letting some rattles ruin the car for you seems a bit much. Especially when with a little problem-solving and creativity (eraser trick above), I'd think one could likely fix some of the major ones themselves (again, not that you should have to, but if the dealer isn't getting the job done...).
You have it wrong....you are buying a used car and not expecting a perfect car, and are saving a bunch off MSRP. many of us baught these cars brand new and spent somewhere around 45 to 50K and feel a brand new car should be pretty quiet at this price. In fact the 2gs may have been a more quiet car. My first GS300 was baught back by Lexus for rattles, not acceptable.
Old 04-25-09, 10:38 PM
RudeDoggy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my car in last week for the second time to fix rattles. They got rid of most of the rattles I complained about (they don't rattle as loud now so I'll leave that) but developed a new rattle in the door panel on the driver's side.

Is there a how-to on how to remove the door panel so that I can just try and fix this myself? This is becoming a pain to keep going back for the same problem.
Old 04-25-09, 11:22 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

RudeDoggy
look at this thread for some fixes to common stuff...i think door panel was on there

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rattles+thread
Old 04-26-09, 01:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man this threads back --

Let me just say I wish I never bothered trying to get the dash rattles fixed. I feel like there's more rattles now then before. Also, my sunroof rattles is annoying as hell now, and I hear rattles from the door too.

I think maybe the problem is the car is so quiet.. you now hear rattles and go crazy? I don't know. It sucks but I guess I gotta live with it.

haha

wait.

i have to say it.....

i told you so.

spray lubricant would work better.

Quick Reply: More Rattles