GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Passport ZR4 Laser shifter rear sensor mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 05:40 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Passport ZR4 Laser shifter rear sensor mounting

Hi All,
Has anyone found the way to install rear laser shifter sensor? Pics would be appreciated...
Thanks
Old 03-24-09, 05:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

a new toy for the 450h eh?
Old 03-24-09, 07:06 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

I've installed it few months ago, but just two fronts. I've never found the right spot for rear sensor. Anyways, it works beautifully, and I recommend it to anyone. There are not many cops with laser guns in northern nj, but few weeks ago I was very very lucky. Clifton PD was testing new device that mounts on the rooftop of police car. It looks like a big camera dome, or mini marine radar. The cop was hiding right behind the hill, so the dome could have line of sight of incoming traffic (just like apache helicopters). I was on the middle lane doing about 80, and had 2 cars on left and right lanes when shifter went off. i could not see any spotter, but hit the brakes anyway. Few seconds later there he was... both cars next to me got pulled over, and I drove away free.
I believe this new device is able to target multiple cars at the same time by using combination of heat sensors to find the target, and laser to measure the speed. It seems it is controlled from the laptop, so cops don't have to use their shooting skills through the window anymore. I hope they won't have enough money to afford more of those toys... Cops in Clifton are real jerks. They give you a ticket for 5mph over limit on the highway!
Cheers,
Old 03-24-09, 08:09 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow interesting... So these are installed in the front grill right and it makes your car invisible to the cop's laser or radar?
Old 03-24-09, 08:39 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't it illegal to have those shifter on your car?
Old 03-25-09, 05:33 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kyang91
isn't it illegal to have those shifter on your car?
Radar detectors are illegal in some states, but laser shifters are completely legal. Don't forget, laser is not regulated by FCC...
Old 03-25-09, 05:53 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
Wow interesting... So these are installed in the front grill right and it makes your car invisible to the cop's laser or radar?
Invisible? I wouldn't say that, but it gives you few seconds to slow down before you get clocked. You also have to remember cops are aware of those devices, and if they can't get quick reading from shooting at your license plate, then they will attempt the headlights. If that fails as well, they will really get pissed off, and may go after you to punish you for something else. That's why you have to be smart when using it... slow down to reasonable speed, and turn it off, so they can clock you.
Those sensors need clear line of sight, so mounting them behind the grill wouldn't work. I've mounted mine below the license plate on both sides, so they are close to the headlights as well. I had to do a little craftsman work, but it was worth it. You have to get on your knees to see them. I will take some pics later and post them here for those that are interested...
Cheers,
Old 03-25-09, 09:08 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by chopperpl
Invisible? I wouldn't say that, but it gives you few seconds to slow down before you get clocked. You also have to remember cops are aware of those devices, and if they can't get quick reading from shooting at your license plate, then they will attempt the headlights. If that fails as well, they will really get pissed off, and may go after you to punish you for something else. That's why you have to be smart when using it... slow down to reasonable speed, and turn it off, so they can clock you.
Those sensors need clear line of sight, so mounting them behind the grill wouldn't work. I've mounted mine below the license plate on both sides, so they are close to the headlights as well. I had to do a little craftsman work, but it was worth it. You have to get on your knees to see them. I will take some pics later and post them here for those that are interested...
Cheers,
yes, pics would be be most helpful to see how you mounted the front sensors to the plates. but having said that, can't you also mount the rear sensors to the rear plate somehow? a custom fit would be needed to make it look "oem"
Old 03-25-09, 10:52 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

I just took these with my phone... at least you can see what I'm talking about...
Rear sensor is wider, and it suppose to be screwed in to top screws of the license plate. problem is there is not enough space, and another issue is running the cable from the trunk hood. It seems all lights are connected through some kind of "roll-up" cable, which I guess has some spare pairs of wires, but I don't feel like taking that thing apart. Perhaps someone else had guts to do it...

Old 03-25-09, 11:03 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

thx for posting so quickly! your front sensors are positioned very nicely, almost undetectable.

not sure if this would work...could you mount the rear sensor at the bottom of the rear plate instead of at the top? you'd have more room...but it doesn't solve the wiring problem you have...
Old 03-25-09, 11:13 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Stormforge
thx for posting so quickly! your front sensors are positioned very nicely, almost undetectable.

not sure if this would work...could you mount the rear sensor at the bottom of the rear plate instead of at the top? you'd have more room...but it doesn't solve the wiring problem you have...
nope... wiring is still the issue. I've also tried below rear bumper, but that's too far away from the license plate. The key is to have those sensors close to the deflection points.
Thanks for your input...
Old 03-25-09, 12:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by chopperpl
nope... wiring is still the issue. I've also tried below rear bumper, but that's too far away from the license plate. The key is to have those sensors close to the deflection points.
Thanks for your input...
i think the next logical step would be to consult a car audio shop in your area that has experience installing the passport zr4. a custom application would be required to get that rear sensor installed. unfortunately, you might have to bite the bullet and pay someone to get this done.

let us know how you've got the rear sensors installed, i'd be interested in seeing the results.
Old 03-25-09, 07:46 PM
spider_55
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to http://www.radardetector.net/forums/
post your pic and question in the laser - ZR4 section and you will get lots of advice.

I think the front heads are too recessed. You want those out more to avoid punch-throughs. But again, go to the laser site and get advice from the people that live and breath this stuff.

They will have many suggestions on where your rear head can be positioned.

Good luck!