GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Problems with electric mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 01:48 AM
wattsy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with electric mirrors

Hi - I've been reading around the forums and can see a number of people suffering problems with the electric mirrors and wondered if anyone had experienced a fault like I have: For the first time in ages (probably a year), I tried to adjust the passenger mirror "in" slightly and found that it would not work. Up and down were fine -but no luck on in/out. I then tried the drivers mirror - and it was exactly the same. Up and down OK - in and out - no movement. I guess that it's possible that the plastic gears have worn out on both - at the same time, but it seems a little odd.

Does anyone know if there's anything that might disable the up/down function on both sides simutaneously - or have I simply got the worn gears problem?

Thanks

Pete
Old 04-05-09, 10:17 AM
mcamson
Pole Position

No nothing to disable. This happened to my friend's GS and he just had it replaced at the dealership under warranty.
Old 04-05-09, 12:11 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you even hear the humming of the electric motor inside the mirror? If not, it's probably not a gear problem.
Old 04-05-09, 12:21 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

The chances of both failing, especially considering that they are almost never used except for adjustment (up and down is always used for reversing), is very slim. My guess is that there is something wrong with that drop down console and the buttons for left/right adjustment.
Old 04-05-09, 04:34 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had all mirrors replaced already when the same thing happened to me. Just take it in and they replaced the entire mirror assembly under warranty.
Old 04-05-09, 06:56 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniGS
I had all mirrors replaced already when the same thing happened to me. Just take it in and they replaced the entire mirror assembly under warranty.
when they failed, did you already have the mirror covers on?
Old 04-05-09, 07:01 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It happened to me too but I figured it out. First, try to go all the way down until yo hear the clicking noise, now try to go in and out. If it doesn't work, try to go all the way up, then do the same. It worked for me.
Old 04-06-09, 01:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had both of mirrors replaced under warranty. I would change the setting for the position and when I would out the car in reverse and back into drive again the mirrors would not go back to the newly stored position. The rep at the dealership said I was to tall and had the mirrors set to far out and broke the mechanism
Old 04-08-09, 06:40 PM
mbasko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had both of mirrors replaced under warranty. I would change the setting for the position and when I would out the car in reverse and back into drive again the mirrors would not go back to the newly stored position. The rep at the dealership said I was to tall and had the mirrors set to far out and broke the mechanism
I have the exact same issue with my '07 GS350. I noticed I had to keep adjusting the driver side mirrow and finally figured out it happened after I put the car in reverse. I'll take it in during the next oil change.
Old 04-08-09, 07:40 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lexus sucks at mirrors! that's all.

shaky rear view mirror. broken side mirrors. They just plain suck at mirrors. why.......

why does lexus suck at the little things?
Old 04-09-09, 05:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lexus sucks at mirrors! that's all.

shaky rear view mirror. broken side mirrors. They just plain suck at mirrors. why.......

why does lexus suck at the little things?
Because its cost cutting, all those pennies saved will catch up to them sooner or later.
Old 04-10-09, 10:45 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I've had my car 20 months and have had both side mirrors replaced under warranty (both failed within weeks of each other). Problem was neither mirror would hold their position (I don't use the reverse-down function). I don't think there is a TSB on this but I'm guessing the original OEM mirror mechanism was shoddy and has since been improved on.
Old 04-10-09, 11:54 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
FWIW, I've had my car 20 months and have had both side mirrors replaced under warranty (both failed within weeks of each other). Problem was neither mirror would hold their position (I don't use the reverse-down function). I don't think there is a TSB on this but I'm guessing the original OEM mirror mechanism was shoddy and has since been improved on.

do you adjust your mirrors a lot?
Old 04-10-09, 01:52 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
do you adjust your mirrors a lot?
Not at all. As Ron Popiel would say, I just would 'set it and forget it'.

They just failed on their own.
Old 04-10-09, 11:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mbasko
I have the exact same issue with my '07 GS350. I noticed I had to keep adjusting the driver side mirrow and finally figured out it happened after I put the car in reverse. I'll take it in during the next oil change.
are you pretty tall?? The service rep said it happened because I had my mirrors set out way to far. I am 6'5". I have had good luck with the new mirrors so far

Quick Reply: Problems with electric mirrors