GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

gs460 vs m45

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 09:05 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs460 vs m45

Just wanted to start an opinionated thread...What do you guys think is better the lexus gs460 or the infiniti m45 sport and why?
Old 04-10-09, 10:38 PM
berliner
Rookie

the lexus looks way better than the m45!!
Old 04-10-09, 10:49 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Infiniti M45 (Nissan Fuga). Only thing that kept me from buying it was the reliability issues.
Old 04-10-09, 10:50 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You are asking Lexus owners if the Infinity is better. If they thought it was better than Lexus, what do you think they would have been driving today?
Old 04-10-09, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The M handles better and has beter modulation to the brakes. The steering is also far more direct. Its a better handling car.

The Lexus on the other hand id more refined and has better lines than the M. The leather is better quality. The ride is softer and the interior noise levels are slightly lower. I went with the GS after lookimg at the M because at the time the M still had a 5 speed transmission and had poor gas mileage.

The M is no slouch. It was still rated the highest overall rating of any car that consumer reports ever tested. ( at least it was 3-4 yrs ago)
Old 04-11-09, 09:07 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove a loaded m45 sport tech journey ect when shopping......very nice car......the fallowing reasons are why i chose the gs

1. couldng get over the ugly rear end of the m (love the front though)
2. the lexus is more refined
3. lexus is more reliable
4. the customer service at my lexus dealer
5. better gas mileage with the gs

hope this helps
Old 04-11-09, 10:28 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

While M45 is uglier than the GS, it is a better car in many respects. Other people mentioned some of those things, so let me mention one: the Navigation system on the M is light years ahead of the GS (at least it was 2 years ago when I was shopping). Not only did it not have the ridiculous don't-enter-destination-while-driving restriction, it was also coupled with a fantastic voice recognition system that actually works.
Old 04-11-09, 10:55 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Modeler
While M45 is uglier than the GS, it is a better car in many respects. Other people mentioned some of those things, so let me mention one: the Navigation system on the M is light years ahead of the GS (at least it was 2 years ago when I was shopping). Not only did it not have the ridiculous don't-enter-destination-while-driving restriction, it was also coupled with a fantastic voice recognition system that actually works.
well said. for the most part, the GS excels where the M does not, vice versa.
Old 04-13-09, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not sure about the comments regarding the GS being more refined than the M. The M45 actually have a nice interior and it handles much better than the GS. Too bad the ride was so rough and the exterior is so ugly
Old 04-13-09, 08:54 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

come on, at least use the M50 that's coming out to compare with the GS460 =)
Old 04-13-09, 10:15 AM
LexFather

Having driven them before and now recently I'll add my 2 cents.
1. The M45 actually offers a rare V-8/AWD version. It does have a gas guzzler but the GS does not offer that configuration
2. Nissan can't begin to figure out hybrids thus the GS 450h has more tech than any Infiniti product.
3. The M45 is clearly bigger which you may like/need or not. There is more room than in the GS and the back is roomier. There is an optional rear TV. The dash has aged well but still can be "ATM" ish. The GS is very coupelike with the interior many more curves and better materials, down to the leather. Its more snug but I don't find it bad. Love the gauges in the GS, the Infiniti has gotten better in this area. I like the optional aluminum trim in the M45.
4. Exterior is subjective, I never really liked the M45 as it looked old from the start and the SUV face doesn't help. The rear tails make me puke. You have to get the sport with the optional 19s for it to look decent. The GS has won awards for its design and while it has a couple odd angles, to me its very fluid and much more elegant.
5. Both have ample power at any speed and IMO both feel just as fast. The M45 is more of a brute, like a Japanese old school Pontiac. The GS is smooth like silk in comparison, more serene.
6. 8 speed auto in GS vs old 5 speed auto in M45. M45 revs at 3000 RPM around 75-80 MPH and if you drive a lot that drone can be tiresome.
7. Infiniti has always had much more aggresive lease deals/financing rates compared to Lexus. Most reviews say the M45 is the better "value/bargain" in this class.
8. M45 is based on the same FM platform as many other Nissans. The GS has its own platform which is trickled down to the IS. Might not mean anything ot you but to me it does.
9. M45 is sportier out the box, steering is more precise and for its size and weight, does a great job. This is where the FM platform shines (350Z etc). You feel more confident taking corners in it. The GS is more the relazed cruiser that does have sporting intentions but the steering and wood wheel makes it tougher to figure it out.

10. Bottom line both are great cars, both are winners. Clearly we will tell you go with the GS, a Nissan forum will tell you go with the M45. You can't lose in either car.

That said, the GS 460 feels more "special" to me.

If you want a deal, look at used M45s, they are in the 20k range now and that is A LOT of car for the money.
Old 04-13-09, 11:50 AM
cohare
Rookie

I looked closely at the M as well. I had a 04 maxima and it honestly reminded me of that too much. The ride is rougher, engine louder (not in a good way), tranny shifted rough, much less refined. I also looked at one that was a year old just to see how they hold up, and I was not impressed.

I think the leather on the Lexus is much nicer, although the Infiniti leather looks nicer (with stitching and all) but, the actual feel is more like a GM product to me. The M had much better options like indash Hard Drive, Ipod integration, etc..I could not get over the fact of the nav (at least the 07) was still driven by the stupid joystick like my Maxima, which sucked to use. This was one of the main reasons why I didnt go with the BMW either.
Old 04-13-09, 01:57 PM
jane12
Driver School Candidate

GS and the M look old on the outside.
Old 04-13-09, 03:35 PM
erik535353
Driver

GS460 all the way!! In the long run nothing compares to reliability and fit and finish!!
Plus the GS Clowns the M in looks!!
Old 04-14-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by erik535353
GS460 all the way!! In the long run nothing compares to reliability and fit and finish!!

With Any other Lexus I might agree with that statment. The 3GS does not live up to the Lexus standards when it comes to reliability and built quality.

Quick Reply: gs460 vs m45