GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2GS to 3GS........Any Regrets???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 10:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Question 2GS to 3GS........Any Regrets???

Hey guys........Im considering getting the 3GS, most likely a CPO GS430.

Currently I have 2005 GS300 with barely over 20k miles......This car I have had since new, but it is a lease which expires at the end of May. My buyout price is just under $23k. (Bank doesnt want to negotiate.)

I can pickup a CPO GS350/430 for high $20s to low $30s or just buyout my 05GS3 for $23k

I like the FEATURES/POWER of the current GS but I prefer the styling of the 2nd gen GS.

Any advice would be great, especially from people who had a 2GS.
Old 04-13-09, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well there are a few previous threads on these, i am sure you can do a search. but since i also had a gs400 before and now gs350, i will throw in my quick 2 cents too

in short, i don't regret at all. styling wise i also like the 2gs more than the 3gs (there are still things on the 3gs that i don't like), however imho the 2gs is just dated already. that was one big reason for us to change.

especially the interior, features, equipments, the 3gs is just a lot better. the much better navigation, seats, interior styling (subjective), they are all better and more updated than the 2gs

but of course, it doesn't come without shortcomings. the 3gs has less space than 3gs, noticeably. build quality i also think is not as good as 2gs. trunk space is just horrible for its class.

for you though, definitely don't buy out your gs300, for 23k that's just nuts. way too much money. for high 20s you should be able to get a nice gs350 already. imho, i probably would still prefer gs350 over gs430, the gas mileage is quite a bit better with about the same power. but of course, 430 is a v8 (tq) and it's bullet proof

so you can see the ups and downs (my opinion), but overall i am happy with our gs350 over the gs400
Old 04-14-09, 04:00 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

id have to agree with the above. i never owned a 2gs but ive always wanted a gs for the longest time and finally made the move on the new 3gs. since i never had a 2gs i cant compare the 2 but like i said i agree with the above pretty much on pricing. you can find a decent 3gs now with low miles (probably around 30k or a bit under) fully loaded for high 20s.
Old 04-14-09, 07:44 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I previously owned 2 2nd gen gs's, both v8's- a '98 gs400 and a '01 gs430. I just purchased a '06 gs430.

My thoughts are styling wise i love the 2gs but there are just too many of them now and most of them in my area are on some 20" wheels they got from the flea market or even worse, 22" dub style wheels. I loved my modded 2gs when it was one of the few in town but then all these dub style (we call them donks or sleds) 2gs's started popping up, i didnt want to be part of that crowd. Years ago people would come up to me and say "damn nice car, you did it right!" but then after all these tasteless 2gs's started coming around everyone would say "hey my boy has the same car (most likely a '98 gs300 when mine was a '01 430 ) but his is on 22"s" I just didnt like being associated with those types. Basically what Im trying to say is I wanted the updated look of the 3gs bc then all the people I see driving the same car as me are more mature and not giving the car a bad name by driving around all day with there trunks rattling from their walmart subs and their 22" pos rims blinding everyone with their ugliness.

So far I love my new 3gs! It does have some odd angles when I think the 2gs looks great from any angle, but regardless its just newer loooking. I love all the new gadgets and Im obsessed with the ash interior. It took me a long time to find a black 3gs with the ash interior in my area but Im definitely glad I waited. So far Id say my only complaint is all the rattles. If i ride down a bumpy road with the windows up and no music playing, its pretty rediculous. There are noises coming from the drivers side, middle, and passenger side of the dash, the glove box and the sunroof! and my car only has 25k miles! My 2gs interior was silent and I sold it with well over 100k miles. I dont want to think about how much worse these creaks, squeaks and rattles will get over the next couple years. Why lexus, why cant you just build a solid dash with the right clips?! So I guess Id have to say the build quality is better on the 2gs than the 3rd gen.

Overall Im still very happy with my decision to upgrade from the 2gs to a 3gs. The only things Im worried about are the interior rattles and my paint choice. The black paint isnt metallic, just plain back, and it shows everything! When the sun is shining you can see tons of fine scratches all over the car. ive seen worse but its just annoying bc my car has such low miles and theres nothing I can do to get rid of the scratches.
Old 04-14-09, 04:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

especially the interior, features, equipments, the 3gs is just a lot better. the much better navigation, seats, interior styling (subjective), they are all better and more updated than the 2gs

but of course, it doesn't come without shortcomings. the 3gs has less space than 3gs, noticeably. build quality i also think is not as good as 2gs. trunk space is just horrible for its class.

for you though, definitely don't buy out your gs300, for 23k that's just nuts. way too much money. for high 20s you should be able to get a nice gs350 already. imho, i probably would still prefer gs350 over gs430, the gas mileage is quite a bit better with about the same power. but of course, 430 is a v8 (tq) and it's bullet proof

so you can see the ups and downs (my opinion), but overall i am happy with our gs350 over the gs400
Im in NYC, so its very hard to find a 3GS locally with low mileage.......I prefer the GS350 as well but there are NONE in the northeast with RWD, only AWD.

As far as prices, the CPO cars are still at low $30s..........so it would be about 6-8k more than the buyout on my 05GS.
Old 04-15-09, 03:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

you'll have a hard time finding a RWD GS in your area. you'll have to travel quite far if you want the RWD
Old 04-15-09, 06:48 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i had to do!
Old 04-15-09, 08:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by beez43
thats what i had to do!
thats what i wish i had done
Old 04-15-09, 09:01 AM
frantinez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a similar situation 6 months back....considered the 3GS a better buy because it's newer looking (even if I like the looks of the 2GS better). In my searches, I found it tough to find a clean/mint 2GS...especially one fully loaded. Eventually (and I searched), I found a 2003 GS300 Sportdesign that was mint, low mileage (30k), and with ALL options (nav, wood wheel).

And, the price was way lower than what I would've spent on a similarly optioned/mileage 3GS. However, I wouldn't have spent 23k if that was the asking price. I probably would've put that 23k towards a 30k 3GS GS430.

At times, I wish I would've went with the V8 over the I-6 but I don't really drive fast and it makes me want to get an SC430 as a daily driver even more

BTW, even with your super low mileage, your car would probably only fetch 15k (top dollar) at private sale.

Good luck with your decision.

Eric
Old 04-16-09, 07:53 AM
LexFather

I can chime in now and basically I agree with Henry here. So far I am very very happy with the change. The 2GS IMO has a lot of sentimental value and it was ahead of its time. It was the first Japanese midsize sedan to take it to the Germans. It was fastest in class at the time. Nothing looked like it at the time. It was revolutionary.

Today the competition is thick and the 3GS doesn't stand out like the 2GS did (one of the reasons though I wanted the 450h its rarer) but its a good evolutionary step. Henry mentioned the tech and its something I am getting used to as it has a lot of useful things like parking assist, folding mirrors etc.

Its also safe with 10 airbags and having wrecked a 2GS I am sure the 3GS is built just as safe.

Even if you got a 3GS 300, its faster and more fuel efficient than the 2GS 300.
Old 04-16-09, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can chime in now and basically I agree with Henry here. So far I am very very happy with the change. The 2GS IMO has a lot of sentimental value and it was ahead of its time. It was the first Japanese midsize sedan to take it to the Germans. It was fastest in class at the time. Nothing looked like it at the time. It was revolutionary.

Today the competition is thick and the 3GS doesn't stand out like the 2GS did (one of the reasons though I wanted the 450h its rarer) but its a good evolutionary step. Henry mentioned the tech and its something I am getting used to as it has a lot of useful things like parking assist, folding mirrors etc.

Its also safe with 10 airbags and having wrecked a 2GS I am sure the 3GS is built just as safe.

coming from gs400 and gs430, enjoy the gas mileage mike
Old 04-16-09, 10:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Hey congrats on your new car

I agree with ur points......Im very sentimental about the 2GS, it might not have the new gadgets and its been out for 10+years, but I still love how it looks inside/out. The styling and build quality cannot be beat.

My plan was to keep my 2GS forever and mod it more and get another newer car for 15-20k for everyday, but i dont want to spend 23k to buy it out. We will see......

Currently im looking into the 3GS 06 430s which i LIKE A LOT but it has no sentimental value to me and i would NEVER even consider keeping forever.
Old 04-17-09, 05:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, the 2GS is better design and built, if only I can buy a new 2GS today.