GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stereo Not Working at times

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 08:52 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Not Working at times

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if any of you have had this problem. Did a quick search but came up with nothing.

So I've at my car for about 1 1/2 years now. I've also had PS override module since it came out.

Just last week, when I turned on my car, the stereo was not working. I turned the stereo on then off and still nothing. I tried raising the volume and I didn't even see a volume indicator. I tried using the voice recognition also but that wasn't working either. My Navigation however was working. I then turn my car off and on and everything was fine.

Then this last weekend, I had the same problem but this time when I turned the car off and on, nothing. I tried it a few times turning the car on/off fast and slow. But still nothing. Later after I was finished at the mall, when I turned on my car it started working.

I finally had time today to take out the PS module to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. I still had the problem. So, now I will be taking my car in tomorrow to the dealership (of course with the module taken out). I'm just glad that I have the module and I didn't take the cheap route and cut wires

Hopefully, everything gets figured out. If anyone else had this problem, please let me know how it was fixed by the dealership.

Thanks
Old 04-19-09, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you sure all the audio harnesses are plugged in tight? i did have issue with a unit i installed before, all audio harnesses seemed to be in tight, but somehow audio went in and out. ended up pushed everything in as tight as possible and it's fine

in another occasion someone else installed and had similar problems on audio too (no audio), i took apart and plugged everything in tight and it's working fine
Old 04-19-09, 09:22 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Hey Henry,

I should try that but it's a little late to take it apart and make sure it is on tight. It has been working perfectly since day one so I'm not sure how it would come loose.

It did take me some effort to take out the plugs on the module so I'm assuming the wires were in tight.

If the wires were not on tight, would that have any affect on the voice recognition?
Old 04-19-09, 09:52 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am with rominl, about 6 months after I put in a VAIS sli , the audio was cutting out. I panicked but decided to check my connections and eventhough all looked fine, the problem went away forever.
Old 04-19-09, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, the case i had before, it happened after about 1 month of install?

on the gs, the audio plugs are at the bottom, instead of the ones you accessed at the top for navigation. when you pull out the unit to access the upper plugs, a lot of times it's possible that the lower plugs are pulled. who knows if something is right at the boundary of tight/loose
Old 04-20-09, 03:34 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

next time you have that problem, turn your wheel all the way to the right and turn the car off. let it sit for about 10 mins and turn it on again.

i had a similiar problem and that helped fix it. my buddy who use to work for bmw mentioned something to me about these type of problems.
Old 04-20-09, 10:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
next time you have that problem, turn your wheel all the way to the right and turn the car off. let it sit for about 10 mins and turn it on again.

i had a similiar problem and that helped fix it. my buddy who use to work for bmw mentioned something to me about these type of problems.
that's interesting. what does it do by turning the steering wheel?
Old 04-20-09, 12:13 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

he mentioned something about sometimes the steering wheel connection gets pinned and by turning it all the way to the right it fixes it. i cant really remember his exact words, this happened last summer and since it only happened once i never put much thought into it. if i run into him again ill ask him exactly what it does.
Old 04-20-09, 02:38 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

I just got a call from the rep. He said that my whole radio/nav unit needs to be replaced. He said something with the computer part of the unit is faulty. They are going to order the parts and I just need to bring it back when they get it.
Old 04-20-09, 03:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, that sounds big. i know the whole unit is like 5-6k @_@

hope you get the replacement unit soon
Old 04-20-09, 04:09 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Serious. I'm soooo glad I didn't do the wire cut for the hack. SOOOOOO HAPPY!

Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.
Old 04-20-09, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would open it up and see if all is connected correctly. Its probably a connection issue considering it was working fine for a while
Old 04-20-09, 09:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dk0515
Serious. I'm soooo glad I didn't do the wire cut for the hack. SOOOOOO HAPPY!

Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.
and that is why a plug and play kit is better than the wire cut mod! can you imagine what the lexus would say if they saw the wire cut? sorry, the unit is defective for sure, but you are no longer covered under warranty because you did the wire cut hack...i would die if i had to cough up $5-6K for stock radio!!!
Old 04-21-09, 02:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormforge
and that is why a plug and play kit is better than the wire cut mod! can you imagine what the lexus would say if they saw the wire cut? sorry, the unit is defective for sure, but you are no longer covered under warranty because you did the wire cut hack...i would die if i had to cough up $5-6K for stock radio!!!
thats when you just go aftermarket lol
Old 04-28-09, 09:09 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Update:
So, it wasn't the nav/dvd unit. It was a wire that shorted the amp. They replaced both the amp and the wire. Now everything is working fine.

Quick Reply: Stereo Not Working at times