GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why doesn't the 450h have a tach? (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 10:42 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Audi was the first to develop the CVT, granted, it was chains when it first started unlike the Lexus

"Audi is the first manufacturer to develop a stepless CVT that can handle the output of a production V6. Audi's multitronic CVT uses an electronic multi-plate wet clutch instead of a traditional torque converter. A strong link-plate chain, rather than a flexible metal belt, is stretched between two variators to provide an infinitely variable driving ratio. "

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2128a.shtml
http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs_01-00/03.htm
Old 04-28-09, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

no tach... weird. seems like a car of the 70's
Old 04-29-09, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
no tach... weird. seems like a car of the 70's
Yeah, 2070.
I'll have to try to post a vid but its a "tach" for the battery but they call it a "power meter".

When you punch the gas, you see the power meter rise accordingly, letting you know how much battery power is being used at that time.

One other thing is a tach lets you know where your peak power is torque/hp. For instance I know in my 2GS peak hp as at 5500 RPM and torque is at 3000 (I think, shame on me).

In the 450h, well since its a CVT and even Lexus doesn't have a true forumla to calculate Torque, a tach would be useless. Technically when you punch the car with the batteries it can make over 500 lbs of torque in an instant.

So its a tach for the next century.

I don't miss my tach b/c my 2GS is an auto anyway and I rarely gate shift. As stated its not like you can go past redline anyway.

The Tach in my ES manual comes in handy.

Not to go off in a tangent but Tach in most cars are b.s anyway. Most people don't even know how to read it. Most people don't even know what it is. Most don't even look at it, they look at the Odometer If you are not pushing the car to redline or you don't know where your peak torque/hp is, then you don't need a tach.
Old 04-29-09, 09:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

RPM is calculated at the engine regardless of what transmission you have. BUT it gets weird when you're cruising on battery alone. Your engine tach will read 0 RPM at 25mph Pretty much unnecessary for cars with CVTs.
Old 04-29-09, 10:40 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, 2070.
I'll have to try to post a vid but its a "tach" for the battery but they call it a "power meter".

When you punch the gas, you see the power meter rise accordingly, letting you know how much battery power is being used at that time.

One other thing is a tach lets you know where your peak power is torque/hp. For instance I know in my 2GS peak hp as at 5500 RPM and torque is at 3000 (I think, shame on me).

In the 450h, well since its a CVT and even Lexus doesn't have a true forumla to calculate Torque, a tach would be useless. Technically when you punch the car with the batteries it can make over 500 lbs of torque in an instant.

So its a tach for the next century.

I don't miss my tach b/c my 2GS is an auto anyway and I rarely gate shift. As stated its not like you can go past redline anyway.

The Tach in my ES manual comes in handy.

Not to go off in a tangent but Tach in most cars are b.s anyway. Most people don't even know how to read it. Most people don't even know what it is. Most don't even look at it, they look at the Odometer If you are not pushing the car to redline or you don't know where your peak torque/hp is, then you don't need a tach.
but say suppose you have a power mod (for argument's sake, let's say i want to add a custom turbo kit or NOS kit), would you need a tach then? i would be concerned of doing any power mods without knowing whether or not i could push the car harder or faster...
Old 04-29-09, 11:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wouldnt a tach in a CVT just go up to a certain rpm at a very low speed and stay around that rpm as you accelarate, very boring to watch.

The hybrid computer system is not going to like a custom turbo kit or NOS kit very much
Old 04-29-09, 11:50 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
The hybrid computer system is not going to like a custom turbo kit or NOS kit very much
please explain. unfortunately i'm not a gearhead, so i don't see the potential consequences of mating a power mod to the hybrid.
Old 04-29-09, 11:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
but say suppose you have a power mod (for argument's sake, let's say i want to add a custom turbo kit or NOS kit), would you need a tach then? i would be concerned of doing any power mods without knowing whether or not i could push the car harder or faster...
You dont need a tach for power mod. One of the primary use of a tach is to see if you're going to hit the redline, which is not an issue with an automatic or CVT transmission. Secondly, you want to know what RPM you're at so you can shift your transmission to get the best out of your engine since power is not the same at all revs. However, with CVT, it's going to find the most optimal gearing regardless, thus not really needing a tach.
Old 04-29-09, 12:43 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

please explain. unfortunately i'm not a gearhead, so i don't see the potential consequences of mating a power mod to the hybrid.

I am not a gear head either, but I would think the computer that kicks in the electric power need to know exactly how powerful the gas engine is so it knows when to turn electric power on and off. It would be especially tricky when the computer try to run both the has engine and electric motor. Also, dont forget that the CVT is not rated for that kind of additional torque.
Old 04-29-09, 12:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am not a gear head either, but I would think the computer that kicks in the electric power need to know exactly how powerful the gas engine is so it knows when to turn electric power on and off. It would be especially tricky when the computer try to run both the has engine and electric motor. Also, dont forget that the CVT is not rated for that kind of additional torque.
That sounds accurate. Since the computer does it, there is no need for a tach. Also the 3.5 in the 450h is "de-tuned" to what 292hp.

What is odd is you can technically hold a gear in the CVT. I've done it in the Altima/Maxima rental/my car. Its not very fun and I rarely do it, really out of curiousity.

I get no aural pleasure out of hearing any of those cars revving with the CVT. yuck
Old 04-29-09, 01:07 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^^ thx guys. looks like power mods are out of the question then. mmm, i wonder if the electric motor in the LS600h L is the same or different from the one in the GS450h? if the electric motor in the LS600h is larger, i wonder if it would fit in the GS450h?
Old 04-29-09, 01:23 PM
LexFather

^^ thx guys. looks like power mods are out of the question then. mmm, i wonder if the electric motor in the LS600h L is the same or different from the one in the GS450h? if the electric motor in the LS600h is larger, i wonder if it would fit in the GS450h?
I need to join PriusChat, I've heard of guys finding ways to get more power and modifying their batteries.....

I wonder can we get Energizer for a sponsor
Old 04-29-09, 01:35 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

LOL... ask an electrical guy if or how you can increase the power on a electric motor. The Lexus is probably tuned for reliability... An electrical upgrade will probably yeild amazing 0-60.
Old 04-29-09, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I need to join PriusChat, I've heard of guys finding ways to get more power and modifying their batteries.....

I wonder can we get Energizer for a sponsor
yeah i think they are able to increase the power and/or the gas mileage by a significant margin on the prius. i would think similar concept can apply on the 450h, but man i can't even begin to think about the warranty

one thing for sure, the battery is way way under utilized on hybrid cars to maintain reliability. the concept is basically to use "more" of the battery. obvious for gas mileage, and i suppose with more tweaks that can translate to power

mike, do something and get your car to smoke is-f
Old 04-29-09, 02:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i think they are able to increase the power and/or the gas mileage by a significant margin on the prius. i would think similar concept can apply on the 450h, but man i can't even begin to think about the warranty

one thing for sure, the battery is way way under utilized on hybrid cars to maintain reliability. the concept is basically to use "more" of the battery. obvious for gas mileage, and i suppose with more tweaks that can translate to power

mike, do something and get your car to smoke is-f
since 1sicklex (mike) and i both have 450h, it makes sense that we "collaborate" our research and see what we can do to make the 450h go faster! i'm gonna go check out priuschat, see if there are any tricks we can apply

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the 450h have a tach? (pics added)