GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM Radio occasionally not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 08:16 PM
nahlaterz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio occasionally not working

Forgive me if this issue has been discussed before, I did a quick search but didn't find any similar topics.

I have a 2007 GS 350 and over the past 2 months or so the same issue continues to occur. I have had an occasional problem with the XM not working. It's the standard factory radio/installed XM receiver. Every once in a while, the audio starts breaking up as if the radio is losing the signal (wide open area - no obstructions). Shortly after this happens, I get no audio from the XM stations, although, the song names and artist still display. I do not get the antenna icon on the top left for lost signal as I do when I am in a tunnel, etc. All other radio functions (AM/FM and CD) work fine when this happens. I tried turning the radio off and back on to no avail, then recently, I discovered that if I turn the car power off, then back on, the XM works fine. The problem with this of course is that turning the car power off and back on is not an easy task, especially in traffic. I suspect it is an issue with the satellite receiver and not the stereo itself. By the way, this problem started long before the Sirius XM merger. Has anyone else noticed this problem or recommendations on solutions? Could it be that I need to have the receiver replaced?
Old 04-26-09, 08:05 AM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue on my is250. Dealer said nothing was wrong. I recently traded my is on a new gs, also with xm. I have the same issue. Search the threads & you will see we are not alone. It's disappointing to have this issue in both of my Lexus cars I have owned.
Old 04-30-09, 01:20 PM
nahlaterz
Driver School Candidate

still happening at least once a day... this sucks!!! I'm taking the ride in to the dealer tomorrow in hopes they can do something
Old 04-30-09, 08:17 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed that when my XM cuts out it is purely geographically related to my stock XM set up. I can name the stops along the roads I travel that the XM signal cuts out every time, rain or shine. It comes right back in a matter of a few feet traveled so I have not worried about it.

steviej
Old 05-01-09, 10:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 06 and its terrible. I had an 07 with the shark fin and never had a problem. I think its the trunk mounted antenna they used in the early models proir to the shark fin. I am going to do this mod after all and keep the xm. not going to happen for sometime as I have too many other things going on but will post some pics when I install and what needs to be done.
Old 05-03-09, 07:00 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a known issue POST XM - Sirius merger. It usually happens when going from low to high channels or vise versa. Only known remedy is to cycle key unfortunely. This is a known issue with all XM tuners not limited to Lexus.
Old 05-04-09, 04:18 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I've never had a problem like this. I would suggest going to the dealer if your car is still under warranty.
Old 05-04-09, 06:15 PM
ryanpw3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been an XM subscriber since 2004 and have been through 6 units in that time. I can say the issue (as long as it is the same one I have experienced) the original post mentioned is not geographically related. I have never experienced this issue until I got the IS 250 I purchased in May '08, prior to the merger, and then again as I mentioned above I have the same issue in my GS350 I purchased new in March. It happens maybe once or twice a month with me, but it's discouraging. When I mentioned it at my 5K service on my IS250, the of course could not duplicate the problem and told me if it continues to happen to "keep complaining"?!?
Old 05-04-09, 09:27 PM
Highflier
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by justfixit
This is a known issue POST XM - Sirius merger. It usually happens when going from low to high channels or vise versa. Only known remedy is to cycle key unfortunely. This is a known issue with all XM tuners not limited to Lexus.
It's not with all XM tuners, I have never had a prob in my Suburbans or Corvettes, pre or post merger. However, my 350 about 2-3 times per month.
Old 08-02-09, 03:03 PM
nahlaterz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ryanpw3
I have been an XM subscriber since 2004 and have been through 6 units in that time. I can say the issue (as long as it is the same one I have experienced) the original post mentioned is not geographically related. I have never experienced this issue until I got the IS 250 I purchased in May '08, prior to the merger, and then again as I mentioned above I have the same issue in my GS350 I purchased new in March. It happens maybe once or twice a month with me, but it's discouraging. When I mentioned it at my 5K service on my IS250, the of course could not duplicate the problem and told me if it continues to happen to "keep complaining"?!?
basically the same thing they tell me... "we cannot duplicate the problem".... it's annoying as hell
Old 08-02-09, 06:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I killed the service and got rid of that ugly antenna on my trunk ....

Now I am getting the mail....we miss you come back for 4.99$ per month This is after the many months of free service they gave me to reconsider before I told them to just kill it. Honestly since the merger they killed it IMO...
Old 08-05-09, 05:33 AM
nahlaterz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
I killed the service and got rid of that ugly antenna on my trunk ....

Now I am getting the mail....we miss you come back for 4.99$ per month This is after the many months of free service they gave me to reconsider before I told them to just kill it. Honestly since the merger they killed it IMO...
I recently was due for renewal and read on a few other boards about their desire to retain customers at pretty much any cost. So I called and complained about my current situation with the signal issues and contemplated canceling. They then offered me the next 5 months at a total of $19.99. Give it a shot, If you Google it, you'll find that a lot of folks are taking advantage of their 'generosity'.
Old 08-05-09, 11:14 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone wanna sell me their module that will work with sharkfin?
Old 08-12-09, 08:48 AM
OLD OKCIS
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same issue.....on my 2006 IS 250 and now my 2008 IS 350. I complain about it everytime I take the car in for service. Lexus says they can't replicate and have not had any other cars with the same issue. Sorry others are having the same problem, but glad I am not alone....hopefully enough complaints and they can/will take the time to identify the problem.
Old 08-12-09, 11:25 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I listen to XM 100% of the time that I'm in my car. I have noticed that I also have this problem if I try to change the channel while I'm in an area where the reception is compromised. There is one particular area on my daily route that causes me to loose reception for a second or two. If I try to change the channel while the system is loading it will stop playing until the car is turned off and back on. YMMV

Quick Reply: XM Radio occasionally not working