GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Time for some new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 06:46 PM
aptekcom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some new tires?

Hey guys,

Need some opinions, please. 2007 GS350 w/ 18" (no mods) - houston, tx. When i bought the car, i had the dealer install Michelin Pilot Sport PS/2 Tires. I have about 28000 miles, and it looks like they are wearing out. Love those tires and the ride, but at about $300-$325 per tire, i was hoping to find something a little less...so, any other options that should do a comparable job (ride quality, quiet)? I see some Goodyears, BF Goodrich and Continentals for about $160-$170. I do mainly city driving and consider myself a fairly "relaxed' driver...
How long should i expect my Michelins to last?
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-09, 07:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure on the cost but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is a great tire for the $$ and will be less then the PS2 and I think its a 400aa thread life? or something like that anyway.

PS2's I would say 20k out of them is good. Some may get more but its all on how you drive the car and rotate the tires.
Old 05-01-09, 07:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by aptekcom
Hey guys,

Need some opinions, please. 2007 GS350 w/ 18" (no mods) - houston, tx. When i bought the car, i had the dealer install Michelin Pilot Sport PS/2 Tires. I have about 28000 miles, and it looks like they are wearing out. Love those tires and the ride, but at about $300-$325 per tire, i was hoping to find something a little less...so, any other options that should do a comparable job (ride quality, quiet)? I see some Goodyears, BF Goodrich and Continentals for about $160-$170. I do mainly city driving and consider myself a fairly "relaxed' driver...
How long should i expect my Michelins to last?
Thanks in advance!
The Michelin PS/2 should last long time. When you bought the tire, isn't there a warranty for it? I think it's like 40-50k miles warranty (should be). I mean they are Michelin. Also, is it more expensive over there for that type of tires? Because over near is no more than 200 per tire. 28k miles is too early for the tire to be worn out completely. You still got a long way to go bud. Unless your alignment is off and your driving habit is bad then that is a different story. A less inexpensive tire would be Yokohama S Drive (Summer Tire). Good for Sport/ and ok comfort. I'm running on those. GL!
Old 05-01-09, 08:10 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ The PS2 is a HP Summer tire with a 220AA A. If you get 40-50k you are one lucky person

The Pilot Sport A/S = 400AA A
Old 05-01-09, 08:27 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

from my experience, ps2 didn't last more than 25k miles.. this was with little spirited driving. if you are only driving around the city and consider yourself a relaxed driver, i don't think you need tires like ps2 or re050a.
Old 05-01-09, 08:30 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

No mileage warranty for the PS2. 28k is pretty good for this tire.

The A/S sport.. jury still out. I should have the PS2s on my car soon. Then we will know for sure.

A/S sport Plus is about 40-45/tire cheaper. The only upside to the A/S plus is the mileage warranty. However if the tire drifts, it is total BS.
Old 05-01-09, 08:37 PM
aptekcom
Driver School Candidate

well, they look worn out and the ride is starting to suffer. I rotate them at every oil change, but i guess i will go out and do the old "penny" test. Maybe they just need to be rebalanced? The other problem is that I am leasing this car until 48500 miles, so i have about 20K miles left, i hate to spend a bunch of extra money on tires that I wont get back when i return the car. Also, if the difference in cost is only $30-$40 each tire, i would stick with what i have because i know it works well, but it i can save $500, i would consider the competition assuming i wont be sacrificing ride quality and handling in the rain.
Old 05-01-09, 08:38 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default tires

I have firestone firehawk gt tires with 460 rated tires those should last a while, little noisy though I think
Old 05-01-09, 08:41 PM
LexFather

PS2 is one of the best if not the best dry handling tire around. How do you drive and what are your priorities?
Old 05-01-09, 08:56 PM
aptekcom
Driver School Candidate

I feel i am a very easy driver. I dont take corners, i dont take off at lights...I just want a quiet smooth, good handling tire in the rain. Simple enough...
Old 05-02-09, 03:55 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The Michelin PS/2 should last long time. When you bought the tire, isn't there a warranty for it? I think it's like 40-50k miles warranty (should be). I mean they are Michelin. Also, is it more expensive over there for that type of tires? Because over near is no more than 200 per tire. 28k miles is too early for the tire to be worn out completely. You still got a long way to go bud. Unless your alignment is off and your driving habit is bad then that is a different story. A less inexpensive tire would be Yokohama S Drive (Summer Tire). Good for Sport/ and ok comfort. I'm running on those. GL!
Are you kidding? An ultra high performance summer tire would wear out somewhere around 20-25K miles, unless it's some piece of crap.
Old 05-02-09, 03:57 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

well, they look worn out and the ride is starting to suffer. I rotate them at every oil change, but i guess i will go out and do the old "penny" test. Maybe they just need to be rebalanced? The other problem is that I am leasing this car until 48500 miles, so i have about 20K miles left, i hate to spend a bunch of extra money on tires that I wont get back when i return the car.
I hate to tell you this, but you're going to need to buy tires TWICE, unless you buy a touring tire warranted for over 40K miles. That's because you will need to return your car to Lexus with about half of tread left. I believe my lease specifies 5/32 minimum remaining tread.
Old 05-02-09, 05:09 PM
LexFather

I feel i am a very easy driver. I dont take corners, i dont take off at lights...I just want a quiet smooth, good handling tire in the rain. Simple enough...
Some all seasons would be great for you then.

If you go here, you can see the surveys done by people on Tirerack and pick the type of tire you are interested ihttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jspn.
Old 05-02-09, 05:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I got over 50k miles on the Pilot Sports on a Q45 driving it hard all the time. The tires I am telling you from experience are great. Not cheap but will give you a warranty and are going to be similar to the PS2 and a tire IMO you cant go wrong with in your climate year round.

There are many good options out there. Like Mike said read up on the TireRack site to see real world experiences from others.
Old 05-10-09, 12:32 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm fairly happy with the Continental ContiProContact that I put on -- for the price, they're not bad at all. Definitely much quieter than the Yokohamas that came OEM. Does not seem like it handles as well, but for daily driving its great.

Quick Reply: Time for some new tires?