GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Interesting idea for wheels for a matador red

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 08:39 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard at least a couple people and have read even more about people having issues with "out of balance" condition wheels made by Lexani and their sister company Asanti. i definitely wouldnt go with those wheels!!
Old 05-03-09, 09:12 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Most wheels made outside of the US outsource the manufacturing to Chinese plants. Different brands are made side-by-side with each other.
Old 05-05-09, 03:52 PM
wikidbwoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these where one of the best looking sets of wheels i had on my car TIS Modulars.

i have these now but i hate chrome Vellanos.

Old 05-05-09, 04:49 PM
StealthGS
Driver

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
ive heard at least a couple people and have read even more about people having issues with "out of balance" condition wheels made by Lexani and their sister company Asanti. i definitely wouldnt go with those wheels!!
Thats rediculous!! Ecspecially considering how much they want per wheel!! Upwards of $1500 a wheel for like a 20"?? Thats insane, And the fact that your paying that much for a wheel with these problems and poor quality! They've been around for a while, And would have thought they were truly a high quality wheel....Guess I was mistaken! I'll definitely avoid them. But not like I had interest in their wheels anyway!!

By the way Wikidbwoy thats a super hott ride!! And I think the vellanos look sick!!!!

Last edited by StealthGS; 05-05-09 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 08:58 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its hit and miss with asanti...got mine two years ago and its fine but my buddy got his just about same time but he had issues such as air gettin into lips..he had to sent the rims back few times...asanti is just name like lexani..im not mad at my asanti but if i had to get rims now it would some cheap *** vossen or nc forged...
Old 05-06-09, 08:59 PM
jav@vossen
Former Vendor

Check out our wheels... http://www.vossenwheels.com

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-06-09, 09:34 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude your ride is sick!!!!. What size are those wheels and what type drop do you have. How is the handling and performance of the ride. Do you feel bumps and is the road loud? Asking cuz im upgrading my wheels on my lexus GS430. Your input will help.
Thanks.

Last edited by 1STLXS; 05-06-09 at 09:35 PM. Reason: this is addressed to Wikid
Old 05-07-09, 03:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

wikid - what size are those Vellanos wheels?
Old 05-07-09, 06:01 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looks do not= quality
I never said that it did, but thanks for letting me know.

I was referring to the "ghetto bling" comment. I think that Lexani has made vast aesthetic improvements in their new designs, and that is what I was pointing out. Being snobby Lexus owners, it is easy for us to fall into the quality argument. I just wonder if people know that many of the different brands of wheels that they buy are made side-by-side in Chinese factories... and that ranges from the "cheap" brands to expensive ones. Sometimes the companies design their own wheels, but very often, the manufacturing plants have catalogs of wheels and the companies just choose what they want as one of their new wheels.

Having been buying and using wheels on my cars and the dozens of project cars I have either worked on, driven, or been driven in I can tell you that most wheels are just fine from the "no-name" to big-name. You will always have the exception and price is not the usual indicator of problems. I've seen some very expensive reputable companies make a bad wheel here or there, while also seeing a no-name wheel perform well for years without issue.

Also, nobody (especially us men) ever admits to hitting a pothole or driving error causing damage. It is always a defect in the wheel because the manufacturing process was poor.

That having been said, I vote no on the color matched wheel, Kravo. I like what wikidbwoy's (must be a Jamaican ) car looks like with the chrome Vellanos better although I am usually not a fan of chrome.
Old 05-07-09, 06:13 AM
burgy
Driver

Asanti/Lexani are name wheels that you see on blinc shows and from bling shps like "unique whips". where the owners have money to burn but have no idea about quality, style, and fitment...it is a fashion statement in their circles so they get them.

If you really want a quality wheel with good style check out Weds Kranze's or Work's Luxury lines. there are so many nice wheels out there that there is no reason to settle for an average quality wheel for a high end price. G/L
Old 05-07-09, 11:56 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burgy
If you really want a quality wheel with good style check out Weds Kranze's or Work's Luxury lines. there are so many nice wheels out there that there is no reason to settle for an average quality wheel for a high end price. G/L
I would be surprised if you could tell me what the actual difference in quality between any of those wheels are. Is it the metal used, design, weight? Or are you just guessing?

Anyways, to the OP buy what you like man. I like the wheel you chose, just not the color matched. I think it would look good in the machine finish with the black accents like I posted.
Old 05-07-09, 12:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
I would be surprised if you could tell me what the actual difference in quality between any of those wheels are. Is it the metal used, design, weight? Or are you just guessing?

Anyways, to the OP buy what you like man. I like the wheel you chose, just not the color matched. I think it would look good in the machine finish with the black accents like I posted.
most reputable wheel shops carry good name brands, like work wheels. weds is another good name brand. you can call up these reputable wheel shops and ask them if work or weds is a good quality wheel. i would bet that over 90% of them would say yes. and if their answer is yes, then you have your answer.
Old 05-07-09, 12:50 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
most reputable wheel shops carry good name brands, like work wheels. weds is another good name brand. you can call up these reputable wheel shops and ask them if work or weds is a good quality wheel. i would bet that over 90% of them would say yes. and if their answer is yes, then you have your answer.
That is some seriously flawed logic you are using. If that is your criteria for judging quality, I have some Bear Sterns stock to sell you. Trust me, it's good.

I think a better way to judge the quality of the Lexani wheel that the OP is asking about is to look at the engineering principles and materials applied to their manufacturing and comparing that to how other so-called quality wheels are made. You know like using "science" and stuff. Just shows how effective marketing and advertising is.
Old 05-07-09, 01:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jre002
That is some seriously flawed logic you are using. If that is your criteria for judging quality, I have some Bear Sterns stock to sell you. Trust me, it's good.

I think a better way to judge the quality of the Lexani wheel that the OP is asking about is to look at the engineering principles and materials applied to their manufacturing and comparing that to how other so-called quality wheels are made. You know like using "science" and stuff. Just shows how effective marketing and advertising is.
most wheel manufacturing process is the same. anyone who has a couple hundred grand can open up a wheel manufacturing company, even you or i can do it.

and even if the engineering principles and materials applied are different from one wheel to the next (ie: wheel manufacturing process is different), how are you going to prove it? are you gonna call up the manufacturer and ask him for his design specs and the math that goes in and compare? sorry buddy for the bad news, but he's gonna laugh at you and hang up...but that's the only way to prove scientifically that one wheel is better than another. so much for using science.

so you think work or weds is a badly constructed wheel (when compared to lexani - you at least implied it)? prove it. show me your science and math genius, and i'll keep my mouth shut. prove to me that lexani/asanti is a better wheel from a scientific analysis. and the fact is you can't because you can't get your hands on the scientific/technical aspects of wheel production to do a comparison study.

what you are left with are subjective reports from buyers and sellers of wheel X or Y. the fact is, there are complaints from former owners who bought asanti/lexani wheels. for whatever reason, they weren't happy with those wheels. and as one poster mentioned above, it's a hit or miss. as of today's date, i have not heard one bad report about work or wed wheels. have you? if you have, prove it by showing a link.

and you really need to put your 'holier than thou' attitude in check. there is a nice way of saying things, and a wrong way of saying things. continue to say the wrong things, and you will find yourself
Old 05-07-09, 01:40 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

well the design alone is a big part. 3 piece forged wheels vs some knock off 1 piece wheel. cost to make a forged 3 piece wheel is much higher than a knock off wheel so of course they need to sell their wheels at a higher price.

different types of metal are used for different wheels. that alone cost into the cost of a wheel.

Quick Reply: Interesting idea for wheels for a matador red