GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Interesting idea for wheels for a matador red

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09 | 02:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jre002
I never said that it did, but thanks for letting me know.

I was referring to the "ghetto bling" comment. I think that Lexani has made vast aesthetic improvements in their new designs, and that is what I was pointing out. Being snobby Lexus owners, it is easy for us to fall into the quality argument. I just wonder if people know that many of the different brands of wheels that they buy are made side-by-side in Chinese factories... and that ranges from the "cheap" brands to expensive ones. Sometimes the companies design their own wheels, but very often, the manufacturing plants have catalogs of wheels and the companies just choose what they want as one of their new wheels.

Having been buying and using wheels on my cars and the dozens of project cars I have either worked on, driven, or been driven in I can tell you that most wheels are just fine from the "no-name" to big-name. You will always have the exception and price is not the usual indicator of problems. I've seen some very expensive reputable companies make a bad wheel here or there, while also seeing a no-name wheel perform well for years without issue.

Also, nobody (especially us men) ever admits to hitting a pothole or driving error causing damage. It is always a defect in the wheel because the manufacturing process was poor.

That having been said, I vote no on the color matched wheel, Kravo. I like what wikidbwoy's (must be a Jamaican ) car looks like with the chrome Vellanos better although I am usually not a fan of chrome.
Stormforge just said it, you got 200k, start a wheel company. Forged used to mean something , now its throw around like bailout money

Lexani might have improved quality but I don't see people making testaments to them. I don't see Lexani wheels used in motorsport. I don't see them explaininig or marketing what makes their wheels better. What I do see them do is market to the "bling" crowd.

Which is fine. My days of bashing the bling is over. I had chrome wheels. It is Lexani's job to convice US their days of making bling bling 60lbs cast wheels are over. Otherwise it will continue to appeal to the same traditonal buyer. Which again, is fine.

Some of us do the research. Some of us also don't assume just b/c its made in China, its automatically a POS (though historically they are like Lexani and have a lot to prove here).

So lets go to the website.
http://www.lexani.com/lexani/gallery/flash/lexani.htm

I can't find ANYTHING on how they make their wheels. I do see they sell shoes, now tires and have guys I used to sell weed to in a small vid

Seems they have a magazine too
http://www.lexanimagazine.com/

Here is an interview with the owner
http://www.dubmag.net/celebrities/en...-lexani-wheels

Seems they also own Asanti, another brand that is of okay quality

So in 5 minutes of research, I can't find ANYTHING about how they build their wheels, what are their quality goals or even how they build them. What I did read is they are for the high end customers and they made a technology like "EFT" that makes 22" wheels look like 27" wheels. I know they bought Kinesis (a very respected track brand back in the day) but haven't heard anything about them as of late (supposedly they stopped selling them).

I saw all the brands they now own and I don't know any of them to be high quality wheels.

Now I am not here to knock the brand, I don't care if you or anyone likes them, all your wheels are chrome with cubic zirconias, Lil wayne borrows your truck for videos, etc etc. My point STANDS looks do not = quality in regards to Lexani and until someone can prove me otherwise, I stand by what I said.

What Mr. Hodges has done here deserves kudos. He went from working for someone to opening a small shop and now has a wheel/business empire. I applaud him.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-07-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-07-09 | 02:08 PM
LexFather

Now I'm not plugging Vossen wheels, I've never met the owner, I've never owned their wheels. It took me 3 seconds to go to the site and read something about how they build their wheels and a warrenty. To me that is impressive.

http://www.vossenwheels.com/about_vossen_wheels.html

It took me 8 seconds to see their new Forged line uses T6 60/61 grade aluminum.
http://www.vossenwheels.com/vossen_wheels.html
So now I have to google that
Old 05-07-09 | 02:18 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
so you think work or weds is a badly constructed wheel (when compared to lexani - you at least implied it)? prove it. show me your science and math genius, and i'll keep my mouth shut. prove to me that lexani/asanti is a better wheel from a scientific analysis. and the fact is you can't because you can't get your hands on the scientific/technical aspects of wheel production to do a comparison study.

what you are left with are subjective reports from buyers and sellers of wheel X or Y. the fact is, there are complaints from former owners who bought asanti/lexani wheels. for whatever reason, they weren't happy with those wheels. and as one poster mentioned above, it's a hit or miss. as of today's date, i have not heard one bad report about work or wed wheels. have you? if you have, prove it by showing a link.

and you really need to put your 'holier than thou' attitude in check. there is a nice way of saying things, and a wrong way of saying things. continue to say the wrong things, and you will find yourself
Whoa, take it easy, man. I think banning is a very unecessary thing to bring up. I am just voicing my opinion respectfully. You actually just proved my point because you copied what I just said. BTW, you said Work and such are better than Lexani. Reread my posts, my friend and you will see I never made such claim that Lexani were superior. I said that they are all basically the same and made at the same places. Geez.

By the way, Lexani are not marketed for motorsport use. They are for street cars. As long as they perform on the street, they are doing what they are supposed to do.
Old 05-07-09 | 02:33 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Stormforge just said it, you got 200k, start a wheel company. Forged used to mean something , now its throw around like bailout money

Some of us do the research. Some of us also don't assume just b/c its made in China, its automatically a POS (though historically they are like Lexani and have a lot to prove here).
Actually, that was my point, not Stormforge's. Read my posts. I never said Chinese quality was poor either. I was defending it by illustrating that many wheels are made in China. I used to own part of a company which outsourced production to China to cut costs. Well, the quality of their production was exemplary. Once again, I encourage you to actually read my posts.
Old 05-07-09 | 02:42 PM
LexFather

Actually, that was my point, not Stormforge's. Read my posts. I never said Chinese quality was poor either. I was defending it by illustrating that many wheels are made in China. I used to own part of a company which outsourced production to China to cut costs. Well, the quality of their production was exemplary. Once again, I encourage you to actually read my posts.
Oh I'm not bickering with you just stating my side. When you get one of these it gets the heart pumping on the internet

(Mike the hypocrite that ensured his Goodyear Eagle F1 were made in the plant in Germany and not China)
Old 05-07-09 | 03:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Whoa, take it easy, man. I think banning is a very unecessary thing to bring up. I am just voicing my opinion respectfully. You actually just proved my point because you copied what I just said. BTW, you said Work and such are better than Lexani. Reread my posts, my friend and you will see I never made such claim that Lexani were superior. I said that they are all basically the same and made at the same places. Geez.

By the way, Lexani are not marketed for motorsport use. They are for street cars. As long as they perform on the street, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

someone peed in my cornflakes this am, and your comments/tone rubbed me the wrong way. sorry about that.

with regards to work wheels, they are made in japan. R&D also done in japan (see link: http://www.work-wheels.co.nz/content.aspx?id=7 ). wheels that have motorsport as their background "should" be better made, because the experiences they get back from racing goes back into R&D (and hence work wheels are better designed and manufactured)

by this subjective comparison alone, you can say that work is a better quality designed wheel (and therefore it is not all the same wheel made in the same god forsaken place in china).
Old 05-07-09 | 03:20 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Glad we are all friends again

BLUF(bottom line up front- as we say in the military): We've all made good points. Group hug.
Old 05-07-09 | 03:43 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

just my $.02 here... but i believe japanese wheel companies have to produce wheels that fall in line with government regulations (which involves the metals in the alloy as well), so there is a "standard" of quality that they must meet before they are produced. this standard is nearly non-existent with wheels produced in let's say china or even the US to some degree.

additionally, i've noticed over the years, any wheel company with an "italian-sounding" name almost all the time sells a cheap quality product at a 'significant' markup (kind of like those warehouse suit companies). a good example would be giovanna (and all the sister/subsidiary companies) which was created & owned by somebody of non-european origin and all of their products are produced in china for CHEAP! it's the name that sells. that doesn't really make it a bad product but you can gauge to a certain extent who's making a good product by how their warranty/guarantee is structured and how easily available their manufacturing info is (as per above). once china got a hold of machines to create forged wheels, they were able to produce them much cheaper than japan or the united states. it was from then on you got all the wheel companies who never had a forged lineup before coming out with forged wheels, and it's also what gave birth to some companies that ''specialize'' in forged wheels.
Old 05-07-09 | 03:51 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
(Mike the hypocrite that ensured his Goodyear Eagle F1 were made in the plant in Germany and not China)
you are NOT hypocritical at all for ensuring that the tires you buy is safe. with reports like these (see below), i'd be concerned too:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...e-recall_N.htm
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...711_487422.htm
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/china-recalls/tires.htm
http://consumer-alerts-product-recal...tires_recalled
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=987192
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...hina-recalled/

you have the right to know where your tires are made. if made in china is a concern for you, you have the right NOT to buy them (even if your goodyear tires is not affected).
Old 05-07-09 | 03:57 PM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wikidbwoy
i have these now but i hate chrome Vellanos.

dam man i love your fitment :P

personally forget the wheels :P its all about stance
Old 05-07-09 | 04:18 PM
burgy
Driver

Reread my posts, my friend and you will see I never made such claim that Lexani were superior.
NO you didn't, you just implied that I have no idea that work uses Flow casting on their low end wheels and a large majority of them are 2 or 3 piece wheels. Once again that is info you can get in 30 seconds of research, but I did it a long time ago. There is a difference in build quality. There is also something to be said for a company with proven motor sports background. Not every wheels those companies make are for racing...(actually all the ones I was referring to in this thread are not) but that tech. does go into the build of every wheel.

So yes I DO know the difference.
Old 05-07-09 | 04:41 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by burgy
NO you didn't, you just implied that I have no idea that work uses Flow casting on their low end wheels and a large majority of them are 2 or 3 piece wheels. Once again that is info you can get in 30 seconds of research, but I did it a long time ago. There is a difference in build quality. There is also something to be said for a company with proven motor sports background. Not every wheels those companies make are for racing...(actually all the ones I was referring to in this thread are not) but that tech. does go into the build of every wheel.

So yes I DO know the difference.
Are you rally-crossing your GS? lol.

Anyways, I apologize for the implication. I should not have inferred that. I am sorry.
Old 05-07-09 | 05:23 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

ok ok everybody needs to relax...i made the point earlier about my asanti wheels how its hit or miss..at the end of the day, its all about brand..most of people with luxury cars want popular name brand wheels..its that wow factor...but most of these big name companies do mass production where there is no customer service..i had auto couture, hre, and now asanti, they dont answer your phone calls or email..it has to go through dealer where u got the rims from..to me its all about customer service..i dont care the rims made here in america and made out 24kt gold..after certain amount time rim is gonna get chipped and the lip is gonna get bend by potholes..its about send your rims back to the manufacturers and they are takin care off it in certain amount time..to me, hre is the best because they answer your phone calls and will treat you like you are their vip customer
Old 05-07-09 | 06:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heng350
dam man i love your fitment :P

personally forget the wheels :P its all about stance
that just looks SICK BTW is this Matador RED GS on coils of springs
Old 05-07-09 | 06:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
someone peed in my cornflakes this am, and your comments/tone rubbed me the wrong way. sorry about that.

with regards to work wheels, they are made in japan. R&D also done in japan (see link: http://www.work-wheels.co.nz/content.aspx?id=7 ). wheels that have motorsport as their background "should" be better made, because the experiences they get back from racing goes back into R&D (and hence work wheels are better designed and manufactured)

by this subjective comparison alone, you can say that work is a better quality designed wheel (and therefore it is not all the same wheel made in the same god forsaken place in china).
This is true and one of the reasons I do love buying German made products (everything except the car ) Germany has very very stringent guidelines for aftermarket companies. No knock-offs, no cheap crap, etc. It has to be quality. One of the reasons is Germans take driving A LOT MORE SERIOUS than we do.

Originally Posted by retrospexo
just my $.02 here... but i believe japanese wheel companies have to produce wheels that fall in line with government regulations (which involves the metals in the alloy as well), so there is a "standard" of quality that they must meet before they are produced. this standard is nearly non-existent with wheels produced in let's say china or even the US to some degree.

additionally, i've noticed over the years, any wheel company with an "italian-sounding" name almost all the time sells a cheap quality product at a 'significant' markup (kind of like those warehouse suit companies). a good example would be giovanna (and all the sister/subsidiary companies) which was created & owned by somebody of non-european origin and all of their products are produced in china for CHEAP! it's the name that sells. that doesn't really make it a bad product but you can gauge to a certain extent who's making a good product by how their warranty/guarantee is structured and how easily available their manufacturing info is (as per above). once china got a hold of machines to create forged wheels, they were able to produce them much cheaper than japan or the united states. it was from then on you got all the wheel companies who never had a forged lineup before coming out with forged wheels, and it's also what gave birth to some companies that ''specialize'' in forged wheels.
Yes, its good marketing. I agree with what you said about buying where I want, my point is not everything made in China, is cheap or bad or of poor quality.

Glad we are all friends again

BLUF(bottom line up front- as we say in the military): We've all made good points. Group hug.

Originally Posted by passnu2
that just looks SICK BTW is this Matador RED GS on coils of springs
Fitment is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Interesting idea for wheels for a matador red