GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How can I set the factory alarm to automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 02:46 PM
teemunz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tego1090
...The dealership is telling me to take time out of my busy day to bring it in to be reprogrammed; I'd rather learn how to do it. Thanks in advance.
Doesn't this mean it can be done. If the dealer is willing to re-program his settings. I'll check with Lexus of Pembroke Pines, since this is also my dealer, I'm up for servicing this or next week.
Old 05-04-09, 06:17 PM
Tego1090
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Teemunz. I know darn well what the alarm used to do before the last time I took it into the dealership.
PS: I have a 2006 GS300 (but it ain't like Teemunz!)
Old 05-04-09, 08:14 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Hmmm, I still have doubts that this is a valid use case . Lets say by acceident you leave the car with the key inside and leave - after 30 seconds ASSUMING that this is a valid feature, car tries to lock itself, but it wont b/c keys left inside. Result - car will be unlocked for anyone to drive...
So...
Old 05-04-09, 09:22 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, his dealer did say to bring the car in so that it can be reprogrammed. So, I guess this feature does exists. Unless, the dealer did not understand what he wanted......
Old 05-05-09, 04:08 AM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vladbph
Hmmm, I still have doubts that this is a valid use case . Lets say by acceident you leave the car with the key inside and leave - after 30 seconds ASSUMING that this is a valid feature, car tries to lock itself, but it wont b/c keys left inside. Result - car will be unlocked for anyone to drive...
So...

How is that any different from now? If you leave your keys in the car, it can be easily stolen. If you can't remember your key, and who takes it out of their pocket, then you hear the two beeps instead of one to remind you. If you are still clueless, maybe someone should steal your car
Old 05-05-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
How is that any different from now? If you leave your keys in the car, it can be easily stolen. If you can't remember your key, and who takes it out of their pocket, then you hear the two beeps instead of one to remind you. If you are still clueless, maybe someone should steal your car
The difference would be if you have a passive system, you either lock the car by the fob which you will realized it is in the car pretty quick or you push the button on the door handle and it doesnt lock because the keys are inside. Where as if you have a active system, you assume the car will lock itself and walk away, but it wouldnt.
Old 05-05-09, 06:55 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^What he said. What's more, since the key fob is a proximity system that communicates to the car so that when you touch the door handle, it unlocks; doesn't it stand to reason that anybody that walks up to the car with the fob inside of the locked car could touch the door handle and unlock the car?
Old 05-05-09, 11:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This has been an option on the C-best, or personalized settings for years. Its called "Passive Mode".

It will arm the car 30seconds after the door is shut.

Here is the feature (its marked "all", so it will work for all Lexus Models), its the last one on that page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2471381-post3.html

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 05-05-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-05-09, 12:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
This has been an option on the C-best, or personalized settings for years. Its called "Passive Mode".

It will arm the car 30seconds after the door is shut.

Here is the feature (its marked "all", so it will work for all Lexus Models), its the last one on that page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2471381-post3.html
it never fails to amaze me that when you think you know it all, there's still something you don't know about your own car.

thx for the link. i may consider getting my dealer to turn this function on...
Old 05-05-09, 01:10 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Ah, yes, the thing I remembered was only if the door is not opened again.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
it never fails to amaze me that when you think you know it all, there's still something you don't know about your own car.

thx for the link. i may consider getting my dealer to turn this function on...
Let me know if they do it for you. Now if they would just allow all windows to be closed with the lock button, that would be awesome
Old 05-05-09, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, very interesting, i never knew about that cbest setting. so after 30 seconds, the "theft system" is on, does that include locking the doors?
Old 05-07-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ah, very interesting, i never knew about that cbest setting. so after 30 seconds, the "theft system" is on, does that include locking the doors?
Yes, the door lock turns on the anti theft system.
Old 05-07-09, 10:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

cool, very nice! something i had no idea at all
Old 05-07-09, 11:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats from 2001 so is that accurate with the current models? and it doesnt say it locks the doors but that it arms the alarm if someone where to try to steal the car. I guess I am not seeing what others are here? I hope I am wrong...
Old 05-07-09, 01:47 PM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The difference would be if you have a passive system, you either lock the car by the fob which you will realized it is in the car pretty quick or you push the button on the door handle and it doesnt lock because the keys are inside. Where as if you have a active system, you assume the car will lock itself and walk away, but it wouldnt.
I'l go slow...

Right now, if you walk away from your car with the keys in it, it will not lock and someone could easily steal it.

You say you will realize it quick because "when you use the fob" it won't lock. EXCEPT, if you remembered your fob, it would not be in the car. You also could touch the door button, with the keys inside. How would you know the car does not lock? Because it does not BEEP.

The BEEP/horn tells you whether the car has locked automatically with the C6 passive system. One beep/horn/headlight flash if it locks, two beeps/flashes if you leave the keys inside and walk away. If you can tell the difference between one and two beeps, you can't go wrong.

I forget to lock the GS all the time though, because I am conditioned to walking away without pushing a door button or the fob. Old dogs and new tricks...

Quick Reply: How can I set the factory alarm to automatic?