GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS vs 5 vs E

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 11:24 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GS started to be sold in Feb 2005. It is May 2009 and the new E is debuting. I would HOPE a brand new car (regarded as some as the class standard) has MORE tech, it is SUPPOSED to have more tech. From reading specs, the available tech on the new E is pretty cool to say the least

The E and 5 in their best years sell around 50,000-60,000 cars a year whereas the GS best sales years are around 30,000 a year. The GS will never sell like them as its sales goals are a lot lower. So enough with the "sells like a RL" comment.

I can tell you one small thing the GS has that no one else has and one small thing the GS brought that was a worlds first. A RWD hybrid system Some regard it (along with the LS and RX) among the most technologically advanced cars in the world.
I wonder how many RLs are sold a year?

Anyways, so if I drive a Prius in reverse... Would it be a RWD hybrid?
Old 05-06-09, 11:28 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

acura expects to sell 20k a year, but I heard they have a hard time reaching that goal too
Old 05-06-09, 11:42 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
acura expects to sell 20k a year, but I heard they have a hard time reaching that goal too
Thats because its one of the most ugliest cars to roam the roads, along with the TL and TSX. Acura in my opinion just did a complete 180 down the craphole of automaking in terms of design
Old 05-06-09, 11:49 AM
LexFather

First year RL goal was 20k. they sold 17k and sales plummeted every year/month since. If you look at its goals, its best months were Nov-Jan the 3 months BEFORE the new GS and M35/45 debuted. As of now from my understanding production is pretty much stopped as it sells even worse in Europe. I have no idea what sales goals are but its been a complete flop of a car since they changed it from the "Legend' to the "RL back in 1996.
Old 05-06-09, 12:45 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I thought Volvo and Infiniti had the lane departure warning thing awhile ago. I know Volvo also has the blind spot thing and the emergency automatic braking thing. Cadillac had night vision and head-up display years ago. Not sure about the climate control thing but the last gen RL had a smart climate control that would change output based on the location of the sun. As for automatic headlamp, this isn't as sophisticated but I know some of the domestic vehicles (i.e. Jeep) have automatic high beam when no oncoming traffic is detected. It sounds to me like MB has probably made all these features fancier but I am not sure on the innovation...

that's the other thing. if all that tech isn't new, lexus should've included them years ago.

only now, finally, lexus has put in the headsup on the new RX.

it would've been cool if lexus put in more tech in the GS. It feels kinda stripped.
Then again, it could also be a huge headache, as GS gizmos fail as frequently as german gizmos.

only the central computer seems to be more reliable in jap cars.
Old 05-06-09, 12:53 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's the other thing. if all that tech isn't new, lexus should've included them years ago.

it would've been cool if lexus put in more tech in the GS. It feels kinda stripped.
Then again, it could also be a huge headache, as GS gizmos fail as frequently as german gizmos.

you forget that the 2010 RX also has the high beam functionality too. as well, the new RX has a new "mouse" interface that is cool.

as for GS gizmos failing as frequently as german gizmos, which gizmos are you referring to?
Old 05-06-09, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

being a member of generation benz, i just had a session today with mb people on the new e. some of the new features are:

The first of the new features is called LANE KEEPING ASSIST. Lane Keeping Assist is a system intended to prevent accidents caused by lane departure. The system warns the driver by creating a steering wheel vibration.

Next is ATTENTION ASSIST. Attention Assist is intended to prevent accidents due to driver fatigue. If drowsiness is detected, the driver is alerted via both a display in the instrument cluster, and an acoustic signal.

Adaptive High Beam Assist, it senses the surrounding and cars in front, and use the high beam to increase the lighting coverage area more than what the low beams can do

Blind Spot Assist, alerts the driver of other cars at their blind spots
Old 05-06-09, 01:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

All that wonderful technology on the new Benz looks great on paper. It is all good as long as it works, but if often doesn't. The engine will run forever, but the electronics will keep your Benz in the shop, while you will be driving a rental Malibu provided by the dealer, because they are out of loaner Benzes.

I went through 3 Benzes this is exactly why I landed in the Lexusland: reliability. So, my Lexus doesn't have the lane-departure warning and few other toys, but on the other hand I don't even know what my service advisor looks like. Try it with a Mercedes. There, they will be your friends on a first-name basis, because you will see them very often.
Old 05-06-09, 02:48 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack

Do we need all the new techs though? One of the reasons Chrysler failed is because for the past few years, they have been focusing on the gadgets instead of the fundamentals (heated/cooled cup holders, storage boxes on the rail of the truck bed, refrigerated glove compartment, etc.) . You have to get your foundation strong and then you can think about add-ons.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of my two previous MBs if the "extra" functions they included work. I would have preferred to drive a car with less things that all work vs. many extras that would break down.

In addition, we're talking Lexus, a car maker that still has tape deck in their vehicles...

I don't know about you guys, but I am kind just waiting for the day that the rear sunshade stops working lol...
Old 05-06-09, 03:22 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

and i've read quite a few people who buy MB and BMW, they all plan on getting rid of their cars once the factory warranty is over (unless they have extended warranty). imho, that speaks volumes about a car's long term reliability.
Old 05-06-09, 03:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Do we need all the new techs though? One of the reasons Chrysler failed is because for the past few years, they have been focusing on the gadgets instead of the fundamentals (heated/cooled cup holders, storage boxes on the rail of the truck bed, refrigerated glove compartment, etc.) . You have to get your foundation strong and then you can think about add-ons.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of my two previous MBs if the "extra" functions they included work. I would have preferred to drive a car with less things that all work vs. many extras that would break down.

In addition, we're talking Lexus, a car maker that still has tape deck in their vehicles...

I don't know about you guys, but I am kind just waiting for the day that the rear sunshade stops working lol...
imho? nop. even on the ls460l i could care less about the autopark

on the new e class, the blind spot assist is the only cool thing i would use. the others i don't really care about much neither.
Old 05-07-09, 05:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasb7
In more in depth reading I also found VDIM to be superior to DSC as it is another generation ahead, integrating steering assist to help the driver counter-steer into a slide rather than causing further problems.
Lexus can have VDIM, VS@, V%C or what ever new system they can comw up with, it will never handle as good as a BMW.

Originally Posted by lims407
to be honest, only thing with BMW and BENZ is their brand name..LEXUS needs power like M series or AMG...if LEXUS have GS-F and LS-F, it would be game over
The IS-F has been out for 2 years and its far from game over for the BMW 3 series.
Old 05-07-09, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new E is suppose to have an active suspension, I am not sure if its standard or not. It is suppose to be the best ride and handling combination in its class. The current E-class doesnt handle too well, about the same as the GS350 but the E-class had a better ride. The thing I didnt like about the 08 E-class was that it didnt have a center arm rest and the handling was on the poor side unless you get the sport package. The 5 series is all about handling, the interior is cold and uninviting. the worst interior in its class IMO. The tech on both cars is not as good as the GS, but thats to be expected. Japanese cars always have better toys and the German has better driving dynamics and builts a more solid car overall.
Old 05-07-09, 08:00 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't purchase the GS because it didn't look all that great unless it was in white and it just didn't grab enough attention compare to my previous Benz. But I found the interior nice.
Even my neighbor sold his after 3 months b/c he felt the car just didn’t do it for him. Mine you this guy went from a CLS to a GS to a 645ci in less than a year.

I didn't purchase the 5 series because everybody and their mother have a 525 plus I hate the interior.

I didn't purchase the E because my father has one and everybody around here has an E320 or E350. I do find the exterior classy.

In the end I went with the CLS b/c I felt it looks better than all 3 cars. From the attention I get some people feel the CLS cost more than the CL. weird

I don't find the interior in my car all that great. But I feel the car handles pretty well. I kind regret my purchase a little bit because I miss all the features my CL had. A lot people say that don’t care about features well I do. I was pissed when I found out the CLS didn’t have the automatic close door feature.

Last edited by rogers2; 05-08-09 at 05:30 AM. Reason: unnecessary
Old 05-07-09, 08:37 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the side mirrors fail.

only a matter of time before the simple rear sunshade fails too.

Quick Reply: GS vs 5 vs E