GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS vs 5 vs E

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-09, 05:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats one thing the Japanese have over the Germans, its the electrical system, it a bit more reliable. Everything else, the German are even with the Japanese or better.
Old 05-15-09, 06:03 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

thats one reason why i didnt go with a 645i but some days i wish i did.
Old 05-15-09, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
my buddy use to work for both bmw and benz as a service manager. he said the same thing about the bmws having electrical problems. same thing with the C class
yup i know some mb and bmw techs, they all say lease euro, don't buy. keep the car only during warranties coz' they have so many electronic problems. and they are so random most of the time they just have to replace everything. japanese electronics (toyota, honda, nissan) are far better than euros
Old 05-15-09, 12:15 PM
1conbaba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup i know some mb and bmw techs, they all say lease euro, don't buy. keep the car only during warranties coz' they have so many electronic problems. and they are so random most of the time they just have to replace everything. japanese electronics (toyota, honda, nissan) are far better than euros
Wow!!!!!!!!!Posts: 58,425
Old 05-18-09, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

yup i know some mb and bmw techs, they all say lease euro, don't buy.
I know some of those techs too. They all say lease euro and buy japanese,. the funny thing is they themself owns German cars
Old 05-18-09, 06:43 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
I know some of those techs too. They all say lease euro and buy japanese,. the funny thing is they themself owns German cars
Hmmm, I suspect that they buy what they know they can fix...and have access to tools to do so.
Old 05-18-09, 09:24 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like they are hypocrites...
Old 05-18-09, 10:38 PM
JasonTan
Driver School Candidate

I just sold my 2.5 yrs old BMW 523i for the GS300 and I am absolutely delighted with the GS. The 523i gave too much problems including ignition coils (2 out of 6 already), noise, battery, etc etc....

E is seen as a car for older men, i.e. slower and not appealing.

The GS has solid sound system, power and yet is very smooth and quiet.
Old 05-18-09, 11:41 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1conbaba
No way! not German engineering, can't remember, seen it somewhere, after they fetch an audi out of the lake, let the water ran out and it started right up!
You meant TRANSPORTER 3 the movie!!!

You know for fact that is impossible, unless they seal up all of electrical components and other important parts... But with European's carelessness attention in details... I would not think it would run in real life...

I had my share of crap from Europe, enough is enough; I would never purchase another BMW (3, 5, and M3) or MB (S500, SLK, and E55)...

I can only hope one of this fine day, a company would able to to combine Japanese's attention in detail & luxury + European's performance = Real Ultimate Driving/Dream Machine!!!
Old 05-19-09, 05:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JasonTan
I just sold my 2.5 yrs old BMW 523i for the GS300 and I am absolutely delighted with the GS. The 523i gave too much problems including ignition coils (2 out of 6 already), noise, battery, etc etc....

E is seen as a car for older men, i.e. slower and not appealing.

The GS has solid sound system, power and yet is very smooth and quiet.
The E350 is actually faster than the GS300
Old 05-19-09, 06:29 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The E350 is actually faster than the GS300
Don't know which is faster, but wouldn't it be more fair to compare the E350 with the GS350, not the GS300?

When I was car shopping, I looked at the Acura RL, E Class, 5 Series, and GS.

I hated the BMW interior enough to rule out any driving characteristics of the car. I enjoy performance, but I would rather put coilovers on a GS and have the beautiful interior styling and comfort.

The RL had pretty good performance and was the best value, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I was very close though.

The Mercedes E Class was my favorite, as it had the great exterior/interior styling and IMO best match of performance/comfort balance in the ride, but I knew the 2010 model was coming out soon and my car would be outdated very shortly.

The Lexus GS had the equally great styling level as the Benz inside and out, but not as great of a performance feel while driving. It was acceptable to me, though, as it at least had a very comfortable ride with a great sound system. Perfect for highway commutes.

So, I went with the GS. I still see the E Class and like it, but I like the GS too. I never regret my decision, because we still have another 2 years left on the GS before it is an old model. I'll go car shopping again when the new GS comes out. I'm not extremely impressed with the new E Class or 5 Series. Mercedes pissed me off with the new E class having squared lights instead of the trademark round and lack of center shift ****. That is just weird. I really don't want to buy the 2010 E or 5 as they look now, so I'm hoping Lexus will give us a winner with the 4GS.

Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-09, 09:44 AM
1conbaba
Rookie

^with this new CAFE law, things don't look too good for high performance car, will cost an arm and a leg more!
Old 05-19-09, 12:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jre002
Don't know which is faster, but wouldn't it be more fair to compare the E350 with the GS350, not the GS300?

When I was car shopping, I looked at the Acura RL, E Class, 5 Series, and GS.

I hated the BMW interior enough to rule out any driving characteristics of the car. I enjoy performance, but I would rather put coilovers on a GS and have the beautiful interior styling and comfort.

The RL had pretty good performance and was the best value, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I was very close though.

The Mercedes E Class was my favorite, as it had the great exterior/interior styling and IMO best match of performance/comfort balance in the ride, but I knew the 2010 model was coming out soon and my car would be outdated very shortly.

The Lexus GS had the equally great styling level as the Benz inside and out, but not as great of a performance feel while driving. It was acceptable to me, though, as it at least had a very comfortable ride with a great sound system. Perfect for highway commutes.

So, I went with the GS. I still see the E Class and like it, but I like the GS too. I never regret my decision, because we still have another 2 years left on the GS before it is an old model. I'll go car shopping again when the new GS comes out. I'm not extremely impressed with the new E Class or 5 Series. Mercedes pissed me off with the new E class having squared lights instead of the trademark round and lack of center shift ****. That is just weird. I really don't want to buy the 2010 E or 5 as they look now, so I'm hoping Lexus will give us a winner with the 4GS.

Just my opinion.
I look at the same cars you did 6 months ago plus the Audi A6. The E class was nice but I wouldnt get over the no arm rest in the center concole part. BMW perform the best, but the interior belongs in a funeral home. The RL was star trek enterprise, way too many buttons and the whole design is dated. I also look at the Caddy CTS, the Lincoln MKS and the Infinity M45. The Caddy and Lincoln was very nice, but still lacks behind in built quality. The Infinity M45 perform almost as well as the BMW, but it was un-refine and ride rougher than the BMW.
Old 05-19-09, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I look at the same cars you did 6 months ago plus the Audi A6. The E class was nice but I wouldnt get over the no arm rest in the center concole part. BMW perform the best, but the interior belongs in a funeral home. The RL was star trek enterprise, way too many buttons and the whole design is dated. I also look at the Caddy CTS, the Lincoln MKS and the Infinity M45. The Caddy and Lincoln was very nice, but still lacks behind in built quality. The Infinity M45 perform almost as well as the BMW, but it was un-refine and ride rougher than the BMW.
very good summary i have to say
Old 05-19-09, 02:16 PM
LexFather

very good summary i have to say
I agree..