GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Melted headlight !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 07:38 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Melted headlight !!!

I do not if this has occur to anyone of 3GS members !?!

Last night, as I was on the way home late from work. I noticed one of my high-beam is not working.

Since I was tired from working late, so I did not bother to look at it till this morning.

To my surprise, one of my high-beam's bulb had blown up (OEM bulb), smoked top of the reflective chrome and melted some the the headlight housing!!!

My question is, do yo think Lexus would replace it under the warranty?

Thank you all in advance,

Steve
Old 05-08-09, 08:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont see why they shouldnt. its all oem parts correct or do you have different hid bulbs in there?
Old 05-08-09, 08:45 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
I dont see why they shouldnt. its all oem parts correct or do you have different hid bulbs in there?
CORRECT!!!

Everything is OEM, except the parking lights and backup lights(I replaced with 25SMD LED).
Old 05-08-09, 08:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i dont see why they wont replace it then. i wonder what caused it to overheat like that.
Old 05-08-09, 09:12 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
I do not if this has occur to anyone of 3GS members !?!

Last night, as I was on the way home late from work. I noticed one of my high-beam is not working.

Since I was tired from working late, so I did not bother to look at it till this morning.

To my surprise, one of my high-beam's bulb had blown up (OEM bulb), smoked top of the reflective chrome and melted some the the headlight housing!!!

My question is, do yo think Lexus would replace it under the warranty?

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

should be covered under warranty, as long as the bulb is OEM. take some pics, we all want to see how this looks like
Old 05-08-09, 09:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How hot does that 25 SM LED get in the parking light housing and did you touch the high beam bulb with your bare hands? Lexus is going to take one look at the LED parking light and blame you for it, I would change that parking light back to oem before you bring it in.
Old 05-08-09, 09:30 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
How hot does that 25 SM LED get in the parking light housing and did you touch the high beam bulb with your bare hands? Lexus is going to take one look at the LED parking light and blame you for it, I would change that parking light back to oem before you bring it in.
do LED bulbs get that hot? my understanding is that LED bulb are cooler?
Old 05-08-09, 09:52 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

I would change that parking light back to oem before you bring it in.
if the lexus dealer reads this site then it wont do him any good.

the dealer i go to caught someone on here trying to pass a problem off with there IS
Old 05-08-09, 10:16 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
if the lexus dealer reads this site then it wont do him any good.

the dealer i go to caught someone on here trying to pass a problem off with there IS
then the OP should delete his signature and all posts that may indicate his true identity...
Old 05-08-09, 11:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
do LED bulbs get that hot? my understanding is that LED bulb are cooler?
Look at this LED someone posted earlier, it has a warning that it will get hot.

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...-p6292687.html
Old 05-08-09, 04:02 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Please allow me to clearify:

First when I got my toy, the very first thing I did was to turn off the DRL. So the high beam is only activated whenever I use it or flashing it to warn incoming traffic to slow down and watch out for hidding Five O!!! I think maybe it stressed out the bulb and caused it to explode!?!

Second when I stated "melted headlight housing" on the tread meants that some of the reflective chrome was burned and damaged due to the "high beam bulb's" explosion, it might of caused by the hot glass scattered within the "high beam housing;" and the smoked marked probably caused by the escape of gas within the bulb.

Third the 25 SMD LEDs were purchased from "warden_jp2002" from eBay, I have used his products for years with my other toys never have any problem with it. All the damage was from the explosion of the "high beam bulb" not from 25 SMD LED that I had installed, because the LED is still functional and its surrounding is still in OEM condition. Also in his description, it stated that the power consumption is no more than 5Watts; which is same as OEM's parking light bulbs. Therefore, there is no way it would cause the explosion of the "high beam bulb."

All I can hope now is that when I bring it in, Lexus would replace it under warranty!?!

How hot does that 25 SM LED get in the parking light housing and did you touch the high beam bulb with your bare hands?
No I did not touch the "high beam bulb," because they are in the separate compartment; therefore, it is OEM still. Besides, I always wear gloves whenever I working something on my toy, because I do not like to get my hands dirty!!! Also I always use lint-free towel plus rubbing alcohol to wipe off any residue prior installation.
Old 05-08-09, 04:04 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you didn't do anything wrong, replace the LEDS with the oem bulbs, take it back to the dealer and let them diagnose it, i am sure they'll replace it under warranty
Old 05-08-09, 04:07 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed with others - bring that sucker in. That new headlight will cost a pretty penny. (they're usually over a thousand new from the dealer)
and no, LEDs run far cooler than a halogen
Old 05-08-09, 08:41 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

can you please post a pic?
Old 05-08-09, 11:57 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default pic

would like to see a pic of that myself too