GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

4TH Generation GS coming...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesm
The Ford option is $500 extra, and works much better. Road and Track's story on it this month says it makes the lexus system obsolete. The issue is that Ford has outclassed out executed Toyota here by leaps and bounds, producing a cheaper system that works orders of magnitude better. Just like the Sync system outclasses and outperfroms the lexus system for a lot less money.
and everything else break? it's just like another talk about the new e class and 5 series being so much better than the gs and the gs is like 5 yrs old.

again, to me the parking feature is nothing but a gadget, i have yet to know a ls460 owner who actually uses the feature regularly. and the ls460 system is again what, 3 yrs old? so who's lacking here?

every manufacturer has their goods and bads. i always say lexus is slow on the ipod integration, but personally i don't find sync anything that impressive. and at the same time sound systems on ford is a joke at best, even a "dinosaur" system from 2000 lexus will blow them away. i don't see what's so about lexus / toyota languishing on tech side. when lexus came out with first led headlights, first self park feature, etc... people could have said the same about other manufacturers
Old 03-11-10, 11:58 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesm
Here's another case of how Ford's technology is beating Lexus on the electronics side: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...arking-system/

Take a look at the video of it here: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/31/v...allel-parking/

This is now in production and getting great reviews for it's performance in the field.

Why is Toyota languishing so much on the tech side?
Not sure who you are, but the HS250h has more electro gizmads than any Ford has...
Old 03-11-10, 12:01 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Since 1993 the GS has always been the "sport" sedan Lexus. Then the IS came along and the GS is now the bigger sport Lexus.

It might be VERY possible this is what happens.
HS/IS entry level
ES (moved up)/GS mid level
LS

With the HS/ES being the full luxury and the IS/GS being sporty.
Exactly.

The GS is and will always be Lexus's upmarket sports sedan. More than likely they'll take the next generation further into the sports segment and yes they probably WILL out BMW BMW

That lineup looks perfect and that's what I'm thinking they're up to for the future. A soft and sporty car in both the entry and midlevel segments and the LS on top having both a standard and Sport models. It all makes perfect sense...
Old 03-11-10, 04:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by (Cj)
More than likely they'll take the next generation further into the sports segment and yes they probably WILL out BMW BMW
lol, in what sense though. luxury and comfort wise, yes probably will continue. but driving dynamics and sportiness, i doubt. that's still one thing mb and lexus aren't really coming close to what bmw is capable of.

but then again, if you ask me, i hope lexus don't go against bmw in that aspect, especially for normal models. lexus is good at what they are, stay with it. if they make a gsf, that's the car lexus should go all out and beat the m5
Old 03-11-10, 06:08 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, in what sense though. luxury and comfort wise, yes probably will continue. but driving dynamics and sportiness, i doubt. that's still one thing mb and lexus aren't really coming close to what bmw is capable of.

but then again, if you ask me, i hope lexus don't go against bmw in that aspect, especially for normal models. lexus is good at what they are, stay with it. if they make a gsf, that's the car lexus should go all out and beat the m5
They could out-BMW BMW with a little effort. Infiniti and Acura have done it so why can't Lexus. Having a trick differential alone will give it a edge over the 5 series. If they clean up the steering and make the handling more taught, they'll be closer than ever to making the GS a true 5 series alternative.

Sportiness is the only way the GS will be able to be differentiated from the ES, and that'll give it a niche in the lineup.
Old 03-11-10, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by (Cj)
They could out-BMW BMW with a little effort. Infiniti and Acura have done it so why can't Lexus. Having a trick differential alone will give it a edge over the 5 series. If they clean up the steering and make the handling more taught, they'll be closer than ever to making the GS a true 5 series alternative.

Sportiness is the only way the GS will be able to be differentiated from the ES, and that'll give it a niche in the lineup.
i agree gs has to get sportier, but to the level of 5, i doubt

honestly i don't think acura and infiniti (tl, m) come close to the 5 in terms of driving dynamics, steering response, braking response, and balance. they are good, but honestly imho nothing like bmw.

but it does come with the price of comfort in most cases.

of course, it's all subjective, i don't expect everyone to agree. but i own both lexus and bmw and drive a lot of both brands, so i can feel the difference