GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Finally Pics of the Passnu2 Matador Red GS430!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so they sent you the brakes with the brackets installed? that's interesting (never happened to me in my previous bbk) and really bad mistake by them
Old 05-26-09, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

oh and if you have to take out the bracket and swap them, then make sure you get the correct tq values for the bolts from rotora, if they don't have the information with the kit already
Old 05-26-09, 05:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ yep...and the brackets can only mount one way on to the car. I will take pics to show. I asked they guy at Rotora if the brackets could be backwards and he just said it has happened before and he was sorry if they where. So if that is the issue I cant expect the shop to do work for free?!?! What a PITA!!!
Old 05-26-09, 05:41 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
oh and if you have to take out the bracket and swap them, then make sure you get the correct tq values for the bolts from rotora, if they don't have the information with the kit already
Thanks didn't even think about that. I am going on Friday so we can call when I am at the shop and I want to take pics and send them to Rotora.
Old 05-26-09, 05:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ yep...and the brackets can only mount one way on to the car. I will take pics to show. I asked they guy at Rotora if the brackets could be backwards and he just said it has happened before and he was sorry if they where. So if that is the issue I cant expect the shop to do work for free?!?! What a PITA!!!
totally PITA, especially it's not like you just take it out and swap, you have to take it out and the bleed the system again. i still wonder why rotora is "nice" enough to put on the brackets when it increases the chances for error (and obviously not the first time)

but all things fair, personally i would blame it a bit on the shop too. if it's a good shop with experience, they should know immediately that these calipers shouldn't be mounted this way.

hopefully you can get it fixed soon. have you received the socket to install the rear brakes yet? might as well do it all together so you only bleed once more
Old 05-26-09, 05:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ yea I got the rears on about a week ago. That is a funny story also!! I never needed any tool for the rear I only went by what I was told. Now I have a tool that will serve as a nice paper weight Oh well....not much I can do but to go back and just have them swap them out. Now I will know and I am glad I didn't install them with some local members after all. We had planned to do them in my garage and I couldn't find the time to do it. Good thing I got extra brake fluid
Old 05-26-09, 07:03 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess you better be glad you posted the pics like you did otherwise you wouldn't have seen this problem at all if you hadn't
Old 05-26-09, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ yea I got the rears on about a week ago. That is a funny story also!! I never needed any tool for the rear I only went by what I was told. Now I have a tool that will serve as a nice paper weight Oh well....not much I can do but to go back and just have them swap them out. Now I will know and I am glad I didn't install them with some local members after all. We had planned to do them in my garage and I couldn't find the time to do it. Good thing I got extra brake fluid
looking forward to seeing the pics of everything done/fixed!
Old 05-26-09, 10:50 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

One other quick option that will work fine it to remove the cross over line and move it to the bottom and put the bleeders on top as they should be the same fittings.
All done in 15 minutes ,just bleed the brakes again.

That still is one nice chubby baby.
Old 05-26-09, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by skperformance
One other quick option that will work fine it to remove the cross over line and move it to the bottom and put the bleeders on top as they should be the same fittings.
All done in 15 minutes ,just bleed the brakes again.

That still is one nice chubby baby.
i am not sure about that. caliper design is NOT symmetric in most cases. i don't know 100% about rotora, but at least on my ap racing and brembo, both 6 pots, the 3 pistons (on each side) are NOT the same size. they are different in sizes and were designed according to rotation and such for best performance.

if mike has to bleed the brakes again anyway, might as well do it right
Old 05-26-09, 11:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

In a multi-piston caliper, piston sizes shouldn't be the same. Brake pads wear more on the leading edge than they do on the trailing edge. To compensate for this brake system engineers specify increasing piston diameters from leading to trailing edge as seen below on the front driver side caliper of an IS-F:

As Henry already said, it would be better (and far easier) to simply disconnect the lines and swap the calipers from side to side than to disassemble the caliper and swap the bridge pipes with the bleeder valves. Not to mention brake pad wear would be HORRENDOUSLY uneven.

Javier
Old 05-27-09, 12:16 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

keep me update mike!!

If it is Rotora mistake, I will make sure I take care it for you!
Old 05-27-09, 04:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ Thanks Nigel I really appreciate that!
Old 05-27-09, 09:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Looking Good Mike!! Nicely done...

Glad we have members like Javy, Henry & Nigel.. ALL helping out with your BBK issue...

General rule of thumb on mostly all calipers (stock or aftermarket),
the "Bleeder Valve" will always be topside, since air bubbles rise.

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 05-27-09, 09:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
keep me update mike!!

If it is Rotora mistake, I will make sure I take care it for you!
now this is customer service!

Quick Reply: Finally Pics of the Passnu2 Matador Red GS430!!!