GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 = GS460 in performance #'s ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Dont know about you guys, but I think Lexus need to drop the whole GS350/GS460 thing. I mean, both of these cars are pretty much the same. What they need to do is replace GS350 with GS460 (lower the price a bit) and instead of GS460 they should add a GS-F . Those who wish to have a V6 can buy an ES.
the v8 has to stay in the lineup for lexus to be competitive. but they should have put in a higher power version. 340hp is a joke. 380 makes a lot more sense together with the ls460

the gs-f if they make it, 400hp would be another epic fail. no one is going to get that car, doesn't make sense when m5 and e63 both pushing at 500hp. the gs-f has to put up 500hp in order to be in that segment.

if they do that, then the gs lineup is good. 300hp v6, 380hp v8, and then 500hp ultimate version. the hybrid should probably be boosted up a bit more too to get close to the v8 output
Old 05-19-09, 12:18 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I even started a thread thinking it would have 400hp. Boy was I wrong I am assuming its so the next 4G GS 460 will then have 380hp or so instead of the carryover 300hp from the 2G to 3G in 2006.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...?highlight=400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-500-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...will-have.html
Old 05-19-09, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, I even started a thread thinking it would have 400hp. Boy was I wrong I am assuming its so the next 4G GS 460 will then have 380hp or so instead of the carryover 300hp from the 2G to 3G in 2006.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...?highlight=400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-500-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...will-have.html
that's what i think... for some reason this generation is only 340hp. terrible terrible idea
Old 05-19-09, 02:04 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know about you guys, but I think Lexus need to drop the whole GS350/GS460 thing. I mean, both of these cars are pretty much the same. What they need to do is replace GS350 with GS460 (lower the price a bit) and instead of GS460 they should add a GS-F . Those who wish to have a V6 can buy an ES.
Maybe in the US, but most of the world doesn't want V8s. Lexus still sells the GS 300 in most places outside of North America...likewise, the IS 220d as well. Why? Because people want cars that use less fuel, and not a performance monster for their commute to work.
Nobody overseas (except maybe Saudi Arabia) wants V8s for a daily commuter, as gas is more expensive and you pay more tax/higher insurance.
I personally find the GS 350 I have has more than enough power unless I am taking it to the track or street racing, which I have never done nor plan to do.
Not enough power above 60 mph? Not a problem for me, maximum speed limit here is around 56 mph (90 km/h) and there are hardly any strait highways that you can actually go faster on nearby.

So the GS 350 is the sweet spot for most people I would think. Even the GS 300 would have been good enough for me now that I think about it.
ES? No thanks, I'd rather buy a Corolla V6...I had the ES loaners and they aren't even close to the GS in terms of handling and performance.
Old 05-19-09, 02:18 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Maybe in the US, but most of the world doesn't want V8s. Lexus still sells the GS 300 in most places outside of North America...likewise, the IS 220d as well. Why? Because people want cars that use less fuel, and not a performance monster for their commute to work.
Nobody overseas (except maybe Saudi Arabia) wants V8s for a daily commuter, as gas is more expensive and you pay more tax/higher insurance.
I personally find the GS 350 I have has more than enough power unless I am taking it to the track or street racing, which I have never done nor plan to do.
Not enough power above 60 mph? Not a problem for me, maximum speed limit here is around 56 mph (90 km/h) and there are hardly any strait highways that you can actually go faster on nearby.

So the GS 350 is the sweet spot for most people I would think. Even the GS 300 would have been good enough for me now that I think about it.
ES? No thanks, I'd rather buy a Corolla V6...I had the ES loaners and they aren't even close to the GS in terms of handling and performance.
I agree, but then they should at least make the 460 faster. The tiny HP difference between the 2 should not cost an extra 10K IMHO
Old 05-19-09, 02:31 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, but then they should at least make the 460 faster. The tiny HP difference between the 2 should not cost an extra 10K IMHO
Totally agree. If people want a V8, they want really good performance (especially if the same car is available in a V6) and don't care about having the best fuel efficiency. The GS 460 is really lacking in terms of acceleration in its class...I mean it is the same as the hybrid V6 basically. Lexus really needs to get a better engine in it...
Old 05-19-09, 08:18 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the responses especially from those who own the 350 and 460 GS!!

I really like hearing about the GS460 - the gas mileage really suprised me!! Thanks!!

I called to make an appointment with a Lexus manager who happens to be a good friend of one of my friends. He was actually leaving for a mini-vacation until friday, so no test drives until Friday when i meet with him..

I was crusing around and saw a random Lexus dealership who i wasn't familiar with - i thought, i would drive their cars if they have some cars.. I came in and said i wanted to test drive their entire GS lineup 350, 450, and 460 if it wasn't too much to ask?? The salesguy said "It was too much to ask!" since they only had one 450 and no 460. The 350 is the only car they had in a demo. The 450, i could drive if i was really "interested", yeah whatever! I said fine - one car is better than none. He also told me some story like 460's were "rare" and "Special order ONLY" as of 2009.. blah blah blah yeah okay whatever.. Can we drive a car now?>

Test Drive: He takes me on a one mile course - i hate these dealerships that operate this way. There was hardly anytime with this car as i hit 3 redlights, one stretch of freeway for a 1/4 mile and that was it. I don't feel i got a good feel of the car to write anything about it. But what I can immediately tell is its alot softer, quieter, smoother than my G35. Its not as direct feeling or not as responsive as the G35. I did get on it a bit for a sec and can tell its got some ponies but a bit tame for my taste. I hope i'm not stepping on any toes on here but i was lil' disappointed in the GS350 as where I'd driven an IS350 which rocks!! But I probably need a longer test drive to get a more accurate assessment..

When i get with the Lexus manager (Big Dealership) on Friday, he would let me drive as many cars as I want as long as they have them and i can get a more thorough inspection of each car's performance and I'll let you guys know my findings and results..

Thanks!
Old 05-19-09, 10:33 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I was crusing around and saw a random Lexus dealership who i wasn't familiar with - i thought, i would drive their cars if they have some cars.. I came in and said i wanted to test drive their entire GS lineup 350, 450, and 460 if it wasn't too much to ask?? The salesguy said "It was too much to ask!" since they only had one 450 and no 460. The 350 is the only car they had in a demo. The 450, i could drive if i was really "interested", yeah whatever! I said fine - one car is better than none. He also told me some story like 460's were "rare" and "Special order ONLY" as of 2009.. blah blah blah yeah okay whatever.. Can we drive a car now?>

Test Drive: He takes me on a one mile course - i hate these dealerships that operate this way. There was hardly anytime with this car as i hit 3 redlights, one stretch of freeway for a 1/4 mile and that was it. I don't feel i got a good feel of the car to write anything about it. But what I can immediately tell is its alot softer, quieter, smoother than my G35. Its not as direct feeling or not as responsive as the G35. I did get on it a bit for a sec and can tell its got some ponies but a bit tame for my taste. I hope i'm not stepping on any toes on here but i was lil' disappointed in the GS350 as where I'd driven an IS350 which rocks!! But I probably need a longer test drive to get a more accurate assessment..
i felt the same way when i test drove the GS350, it felt somewhat slow. but the 450h will bring a smile to your face as it did for me. test drive the h, you'll be pleasantly surprised what an extra 36HP can do!
Old 05-20-09, 01:03 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks!
Welcome to Lexus Land.........The GS is very low production vehicle it seems. In Northeast, only 350AWD is available and good luck gettin NAV and ur color combo choice. GS460 and 450h are pretty much special order.

Honestly this is one of the main reasons im not in a 3GS and have something else on order.

This to me does not reflect a Luxury Brand by limiting a customer's choices.
Old 05-20-09, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

i was lil' disappointed in the GS350 as where I'd driven an IS350 which rocks!! But I probably need a longer test drive to get a more accurate assessment..

Thanks!
Both the G35 and the IS350 are smaller lighter cars, a lot more agile and feels much lighter when accelarating. Trust me, the GS460 is not going to feel like the IS350. If you want quick accelaration from a stop, then you will need the torque from the electic motor of the GS450h.
Old 05-20-09, 10:38 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Trust me, the GS460 is not going to feel like the IS350. If you want quick accelaration from a stop, then you will need the torque from the electic motor of the GS450h.
Since you're talking strictly acceleration, this is not an accurate statement. I lined up with an IS350 the other day, and we were dead even until around 90 MPH. If we were on the twisties though, then you'll see a difference between these two cars. Also when I drove my parents' 450, I didn't notice any difference btw our cars. On paper, the 450 is only .1 sec faster 0-60, so you're not going to feel it. I am sure it's more noticeable when compared to the 350 though.

And, for those who said the 460 should have more HP, Lexus did not have an intention to make the GS4 as their sport car...that's what the "F" line is for. I think the GS4 has a perfect balance between power, and efficiency. How many V8 do you see out there that can get 23+ MPG on a daily commute?
Old 05-20-09, 10:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Since you're talking strictly acceleration, this is not an accurate statement. I lined up with an IS350 the other day, and we were dead even until around 90 MPH. If we were on the twisties though, then you'll see a difference between these two cars. Also when I drove my parents' 450, I didn't notice any difference btw our cars. On paper, the 450 is only .1 sec faster 0-60, so you're not going to feel it. I am sure it's more noticeable when compared to the 350 though.

And, for those who said the 460 should have more HP, Lexus did not have an intention to make the GS4 as their sport car...that's what the "F" line is for. I think the GS4 has a perfect balance between power, and efficiency. How many V8 do you see out there that can get 23+ MPG on a daily commute?
i cannot agree with that statement. the gs is a "sport" sedan everywhere you read it. it is, and has to provide the sport aspect and have it competitive with other manufacturer. e550 is 382hp and 550i is 360. 340 in the gs460 while the ls460 380? it doesn't make any sense

and lexus does intend to make the gs a sport sedan, otherwise in their 2nd generation, they wouldn't have done the v8 version and advertised it as "the fastest 4 door sedan sport car, faster than the m3)", the 300hp car, and also braking better than the 540i. and then coming to the 3rd generation the car gets a much sportier suspension (stiffer) with larger lower profile wheels. those all point into the sport aspect.

if anything lexus can NOT rely on the f line. just like bmw, they can't just rely on the m5, the 550 performance is noticeably better than 535, not to mention 528. mb is even bigger margin, the e350 is snail compared to the e550. the gs350 and gs460 game is just minimal.
Old 05-20-09, 10:51 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*cough* henry.. 342hp in the GS460 *cough*
Old 05-20-09, 11:02 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i cannot agree with that statement. the gs is a "sport" sedan everywhere you read it.
Lets put it this way. Lets say you, and the misses were to say "lets go get a sport sedan". What's the first manufacturer comes to mind - Lexus? I think not. Most likely, it'd be something like a BMW, Audi, or (now) Jaguar. But, lets say if the statement was "lets go get a luxury sedan". That's when the Lexus will come into play. Lexus is good at luxury, reliability, and efficiency. If you wanted power, then you're in the wrong car.
Old 05-20-09, 11:13 AM
LexFather

^^Yeah but I think what Henry is saying is in 1998 Lexus set the world on its ear with the GS, espcially 400 "Something wicked this way comes". It was the fastest automatic sedan on the planet. It won nearly every comparo or was 2nd and was a 10 best winner 3 times etc etc.

With the 3GS, they carried over the 430 b/c they wanted to have the 460 "update" the model to keep things interesting. A couple things though, for one, the Germans never looked back and added more power to their V-8s and AMG/M/RS etc. Lexus seemingly "gave up" on the HP/power/acceleration contest with the GS. Also the 460 debuted as the market imploded and people skipped V-8s as a whole and continue to do so.

Oddly, the GS 350 is the fastest v-6 in class or at least tied with the 535 BMW. The GS 460 while faster is not significantly faster as Henry stated. Whereas in the past, the difference between 430/400 and 300 was staggering!!!
So now I am sure we will get a 380hp GS 460 NEXT generation, to keep things interesting with the same engine.

I like the GS 460, who knows a "passionate black" might be in the 5 year future, I don't know. It simply did not set our hearts on fire like some of us were expecting and experienced with the GS 400.

Many people think the spiritual successor to the GS 400, is the IS-F.

Quick Reply: GS350 = GS460 in performance #'s ???