GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 = GS460 in performance #'s ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 11:29 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Lets put it this way. Lets say you, and the misses were to say "lets go get a sport sedan". What's the first manufacturer comes to mind - Lexus? I think not. Most likely, it'd be something like a BMW, Audi, or (now) Jaguar. But, lets say if the statement was "lets go get a luxury sedan". That's when the Lexus will come into play. Lexus is good at luxury, reliability, and efficiency. If you wanted power, then you're in the wrong car.
as rominl said, the GS is a luxury sport sedan. in fact, lexus advertises as such:

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...96ST&year=2009

hover your mouse over the "GS" in the top left hand corner, and you'll see a pop down menu that states "performance luxury sedan". performance is just another name for sport is it not?

here's more proof: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2007/09/0...ms-the-rumors/

if you scroll down to "Lexus GS 450h Sport Sedan Remains the Only Hybrid in Its Segment", it talks about the GS450h as a "performance luxury sport sedan". we can infer from this article that this applies to all GS models (350/460) as being a sport sedan.

the fact that you do not consider the GS to be a luxury sport sedan is solely your personal opinion. lexus markets the GS as a performance luxury sedan, and independent websites and reviewers also consider the GS as such.

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-20-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-20-09, 11:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
the GS 350 is the fastest v-6 in class or at least tied with the 535 BMW.
You forgot about the 2009 Audi A6 3.0T, it can keep up with both of these cars. Both the Audi and BMW handles better than the GS350.
Old 05-20-09, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
*cough* henry.. 342hp in the GS460 *cough*
HAHAHA okok, i give you back that 2hp

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
Lets put it this way. Lets say you, and the misses were to say "lets go get a sport sedan". What's the first manufacturer comes to mind - Lexus? I think not. Most likely, it'd be something like a BMW, Audi, or (now) Jaguar. But, lets say if the statement was "lets go get a luxury sedan". That's when the Lexus will come into play. Lexus is good at luxury, reliability, and efficiency. If you wanted power, then you're in the wrong car.
actually i got the "right" car with my gs350. it's pretty much the most powerful in its league (v6 luxury sport sedan).

with that said, with all due respect though, i think that's where they "fail" with the v8 (not the v6, not the hybrid). given, i have a long history with lexus and a lot of people here know i give lexus a lot of props, but weakness is weakness.

if power is NOT in their dictionary, then they wouldn't have come out with the 350 engine for the gs, which is one of the most powerful one in its segment as mike pointed out. why would they do that instead of making a less powerful engine and say boost up the efficiency by another 3-4mpg? it's not a random guess, it's proven by the 350 engine in the es.

it's undeniable that lexus labels the 3gs as a luxury sport sedan, and that's where the car falls under. take out the sport and people should be looking at the es. keep in mind we aren't even talking about handling here, which would be a much bigger compromise on ride comfort to compare with. power is just that, power, it doesn't really affect ride or smoothness.

and lets look at the gs460. 342hp compared to 380hp in the ls460. you say power isn't the key, lexus would trade power for other things that they are good at. so what do you "gain"???

the car is more luxurious? no.
the car is more reliable? no.
the car is more efficient? absolutely not.
the car is smoother? not really.

so even if you throw away the 382hp (mb) and 360hp (bmw) competitors, it already doesn't make much sense. throwing in the competitors and lexus is simply playing a losing battle in the luxury sport sedan segment.

again, i am just talking about power, not even the handling. there just isn't any logical (except marketing) reasons for lexus to limit the power output of the 460 v8 engines in the gs. we already know what the engine is capable of in the ls460 with NO compromise, and we know what the competitors are at out there

Last edited by rominl; 05-20-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 01:12 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the input - this thread is extremely helpful. Thanks Mike, Henry and to the rest I don't know your names (Thanks!).. Right now, I'm keeping my options open - When friday comes I will start off driving 350, 460 and then 450.. After reading this thread i'm actually leaning towards the the 460 and 450. I'm looking forward to driving them..
Old 05-20-09, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Thanks for the input - this thread is extremely helpful. Thanks Mike, Henry and to the rest I don't know your names (Thanks!).. Right now, I'm keeping my options open - When friday comes I will start off driving 350, 460 and then 450.. After reading this thread i'm actually leaning towards the the 460 and 450. I'm looking forward to driving them..
personally i like the 450h a lot more
Old 05-20-09, 01:20 PM
LexFather

Good luck Don!!!
Old 05-20-09, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
i couldn't agree more!
Old 05-20-09, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i couldn't agree more!
Them is fighting words

With the bigger trunk for 09, well....it gets my biased vote too...

They are all 3 good choices
350 is the value pick and just an awesome all around car/engine.
460 give you an 8 speed and throaty V-8 soundtrack..
450h gives you the best of both worlds with a slightly smaller trunk

Don, are you too big for the IS-F? I actually fit fine, unless I put a helmet on.
Old 05-20-09, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Them is fighting words

With the bigger trunk for 09, well....it gets my biased vote too...

They are all 3 good choices
350 is the value pick and just an awesome all around car/engine.
460 give you an 8 speed and throaty V-8 soundtrack..
450h gives you the best of both worlds with a slightly smaller trunk

Don, are you too big for the IS-F? I actually fit fine, unless I put a helmet on.
open up the moonroof and stick your head out
Old 05-20-09, 03:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Them is fighting words
but you know i'm right!
Old 05-20-09, 03:41 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Mike.

Yes, the ISF is my preferred Lexus. I am getting one in the next year or so! But right now I'm trying to get out of my lease into a "Practical" Everyday car with power/economy mix.

I was just at Infinti for a nail in my tire today. Anyways, salesguy i knew came up and said, "You like V8's right?" I grin..

They had a '08 M45x just came in with 2200 miles.. He said you wana drive it - i said "Heck yea!" So off we go.. Man this car is powerful but a bit heavy in the front for the AWD system. But it a torque house car.. I'm loving it but i remember gas mileage was really bad on this car.. 14 city, 20 hwy. Combined maybe 15-16!! yikes!! Too rich for my blood.

They offered to sell it to me for $37K which is about 4K under trade-in value..!! I checked..and They knew how much my G35 was worth and gave good on mine about $500 over trade. I'm no impulse buyer - told them - i'll think about it (in my mind - I waiting until i drive the Lexuses.. hehe)

Seems like an awesome deal - but i have major reservations about the gas mileage on the M45x since my G35S is getting 19-20 combined when I'm in relax mode.. Scary!!!

Even though the deal was awesome - do you guys think i did the right thing waiting on the Lex ?? (I'm in a Lexus forum asking Lexus guys this) LOL

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 05-20-09 at 03:43 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 05-20-09, 03:44 PM
Just a Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through this same process a year ago as I drove all 3 versions of the 3GS. The only things I didn't like about the hybrid were the smaller trunk and the lack of gear shifting. It's a strange thing to drive the GS460h when you're waiting for the car to shift into the next gear, but it never happens. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but it just felt strange on my test drive. I also couldn't notice a huge performance difference between the 450h and 460.
Old 05-20-09, 03:55 PM
Just a Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like an awesome deal - but i have major reservations about the gas mileage on the M45x since my G35S is getting 19-20 combined when I'm in relax mode.. Scary!!!

Even though the deal was awesome - do you guys think i did the right thing waiting on the Lex ?? (I'm in a Lexus forum asking Lexus guys this) LOL
My best friend drives the M45 and absolutely loves it!!! The only thing he gripes about to me are brakes seem to wear down quickly (10,000 miles or under) and fuel economy sucks. Seriously though, you really can't go wrong with any of the major luxury sports sedans out there. I didn't really care for the M45 because I found their GPS system to be a little bit clunky. I preferred the touchscreen simpleness of the Lexus GPS system.
Old 05-20-09, 04:06 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just a Guy
My best friend drives the M45 and absolutely loves it!!! The only thing he gripes about to me are brakes seem to wear down quickly (10,000 miles or under) and fuel economy sucks. Seriously though, you really can't go wrong with any of the major luxury sports sedans out there. I didn't really care for the M45 because I found their GPS system to be a little bit clunky. I preferred the touchscreen simpleness of the Lexus GPS system.
Yeah, thanks for the input.. The M45 Nav is the same as in my G35. I actually like it better than Lexus Nav but I'm looking longterm in my daily driver so it has be a Lexus. My last daily driver was a G35 coupe and after 2 years of leasing it (i took care of her) but it seems that a 2year old infiniti starts to show alot more wear than older Lexi's which shows the quality that goes into Lexus cars. I have owned my '99 GS400 for 10 years and its nearly showroom condition.. Thats why i'm finding my way back to Lexus..
Old 05-20-09, 04:40 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but the m45's 5sp auto is just retarded.. which i am sure is the main reason for the horrible mileage.

their new 7sp was awesome.

Quick Reply: GS350 = GS460 in performance #'s ???